VOGONS

First post, by nali

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been given a HP LaserJet 5L with a // connection.
It's really in good shape. Even not yellow ! 😀
My goal is just to dismantel it and use the motor.
But I'm not sure ...
I have no idea if it's a rare thing, or can be useful for vintage lover.
If it's worth, I prefer giving for free instead of using parts.
I'm near Montreal.

Reply 1 of 18, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If it is still functional there is absolutely no reason to use it for parts or whatever. Those things are tanks and pretty cheap to use.

Options:
1. get a parallel printer to USB adapter.
2. Get the network card for the printer.

Yes, it will still work,even in Windows 10.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 18, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The 5L and 6L have a pretty well known design flaw in the paper loader. They are not terribly reliable Does yours still work?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 3 of 18, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Agree ! iirc they used gummy rubber roller wheels that would harden or fail so the paper would either not get picked up or would jam. Maybe am thinking of the 4L...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 18, by nali

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-08-18, 23:24:
If it is still functional there is absolutely no reason to use it for parts or whatever. Those things are tanks and pretty cheap […]
Show full quote

If it is still functional there is absolutely no reason to use it for parts or whatever. Those things are tanks and pretty cheap to use.

Options:

Sorry, I just use Linux or FreeBSD 😀
My computers are old and have a // port.
Phenom x3 8550

There's no network for this one.

Reply 6 of 18, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm in old uggly things.

Hahaa Then you should try to get it working ! Some of the old Laser printers are great and inexpensive to get toner for.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 7 of 18, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Horun wrote on 2020-08-19, 01:30:

I'm in old uggly things.

Hahaa Then you should try to get it working ! Some of the old Laser printers are great and inexpensive to get toner for.

Old ? Are you kidding me ? 😁
A Laserjet 500 Plus is old maybe, this thing is modern. It was still sold in the 90s!

800px-LaserJetPlus_Montage.jpg
Filename
File size
74.8 KiB
Views
File comment
HP LaserJet Plus / 500 Plus
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Source: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Laser … lus_Montage.jpg

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 8 of 18, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2020-08-19, 00:20:

The 5L and 6L have a pretty well known design flaw in the paper loader. They are not terribly reliable Does yours still work?

The 4 and 5 series we had were in between 300k and 500k prints each before we got rid of them. By that time they were having random issues with picking up paper.

Edit.. ah, the 5L is the stand-up one. I never used that particular model.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 9 of 18, by nali

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2020-08-19, 01:44:
Old ? Are you kidding me ? :D A Laserjet 500 Plus is old maybe, this thing is modern. It was still sold in the 90s! […]
Show full quote
Horun wrote on 2020-08-19, 01:30:

I'm in old uggly things.

Old ? Are you kidding me ? 😁
A Laserjet 500 Plus is old maybe, this thing is modern. It was still sold in the 90s!

Source: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Laser … lus_Montage.jpg

I'm 52 y/o.
I won't argue about what is old and what is not 😜

Reply 10 of 18, by nali

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The comments are interesting, but a bit off topic.
Please read before answering.
The question is quite simple, and with an easy answer.
Is it worth saving it ?
English is not my native, I'm french.
So if "Is it worth saving it ?" has no meaning, please tell me and correct my bad language..
Should be just Yes or No.

Ceci dit, je suis ouvert à tout débat concernant les qualités éventuelles de cette imprimante.
L'idée de base est de la démonter, ou la donner à quelqu'un à qui ca plairait.

Reply 11 of 18, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
nali wrote on 2020-08-19, 02:55:
The comments are interesting, but a bit off topic. Please read before answering. The question is quite simple, and with an easy […]
Show full quote

The comments are interesting, but a bit off topic.
Please read before answering.
The question is quite simple, and with an easy answer.
Is it worth saving it ?
English is not my native, I'm french.
So if "Is it worth saving it ?" has no meaning, please tell me and correct my bad language..
Should be just Yes or No.

Ceci dit, je suis ouvert à tout débat concernant les qualités éventuelles de cette imprimante.
L'idée de base est de la démonter, ou la donner à quelqu'un à qui ca plairait.

En français (English version follows) :

À mon humble avis, tout équipement fonctionnel et potentiellement utilisable mérite d'être sauvé . Ceci est d'autant plus vrai dans ce cas-ci car l'équipement en question est non seulement compatible avec Windows 10 mais aussi car des cartouches d'encre compatibles sont toujours disponibles . Toujours à mon humble avis, utiliser un tel équipement comme source de pièces revient à déshabiller Pierre pour habiller Paul .

Cela étant dit, une Laserjet 5L n'est pas une pièce de musée avec une valeur historique ou monétaire significative .

English version :

In my humble opinion, any piece of equipment that is both functional and poetntially usable is worth preserving . In this case, this is especially true as the said equipment is compatible with Windows 10 and compatible toner cartridges for it are still available . Again IMHO, using such equipment as a source of parts essentially means robbing Peter to pay Paul .

That being said, the Laserjet 5L is not a museum piece nor does it have a significant historical or monetary value .

EDIT :
En bout de ligne, je suggère de la donner à quelqu'un qui a besoin d'une imprimante .
TLDR : I suggest giving it to somebody who needs a printer .

Reply 12 of 18, by ragefury32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nali wrote on 2020-08-19, 01:22:
Sorry, I just use Linux or FreeBSD :) My computers are old and have a // port. Phenom x3 8550 […]
Show full quote
If it is still functional there is absolutely no reason to use it for parts or whatever. Those things are tanks and pretty cheap […]
Show full quote

Options:

Phenom x3 8550

You can easily add a Jetdirect 610n card for the Laserjet 5 printers, they work just fine in Linux (lot or CUPS will support it natively), paper rollers and fusers (the device that heats up the toner so the image can be fused to the paper) are considered consumable items and are replaced on a regular basis as a maintenance kit. Think of them as like brake pads gaskets and hoses in your car.

When I was a printer technician part of my job is to go out and replace toners and fusers for companies (usually law firms and corporate offices) that purchased support contracts for their printers. As long as you are willing to pay for the consumables and replace them on a regular basis those Laserjets are built like tanks. Of course, the question is whether you want to pay 50-70 USD every 4-5 years for a maintenance kit, especially if it’s being used to keep a 25 year old printer working.

So in short, only if you need a cheap reliable but old printer in your home. If not, it’s not like the HP Laserjet 5s were rare or collectible.

Reply 13 of 18, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ragefury32 wrote on 2020-08-19, 04:16:
You can easily add a Jetdirect 610n card for the Laserjet 5 printers, they work just fine in Linux (lot or CUPS will support it […]
Show full quote
Sorry, I just use Linux or FreeBSD :) My computers are old and have a // port. Phenom x3 8550 […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

Options:

Phenom x3 8550

You can easily add a Jetdirect 610n card for the Laserjet 5 printers, they work just fine in Linux (lot or CUPS will support it natively), paper rollers and fusers (the device that heats up the toner so the image can be fused to the paper) are considered consumable items and are replaced on a regular basis as a maintenance kit. Think of them as like brake pads gaskets and hoses in your car.

When I was a printer technician part of my job is to go out and replace toners and fusers for companies (usually law firms and corporate offices) that purchased support contracts for their printers. As long as you are willing to pay for the consumables and replace them on a regular basis those Laserjets are built like tanks. Of course, the question is whether you want to pay 50-70 USD every 4-5 years for a maintenance kit, especially if it’s being used to keep a 25 year old printer working.

So in short, only if you need a cheap reliable but old printer in your home. If not, it’s not like the HP Laserjet 5s were rare or collectible.

I imagine that 4-5 year interval is for heavily used printers in an office setting, right ? If used sparingly, as would be the case in most home settings, that interval might be longer, I hope .

I have a Laserjet 3050 that is almost 15 years old, prints about 500 pages a year and has not yet required servicing, am I living on borrowed time ?

Reply 14 of 18, by nali

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-08-19, 03:45:

C'est bien l'idée.
Si c'est un truc qui intéresse un amateur, je la donne à qui vient la chercher.
Dans le cas contraire, je la mets en pièces sans scrupules.

The goal is if it's have any kind of value, I prefer to give it to anyone who will enjoy it instead of just using parts and garbage the rest 😀
It seems it's not valuable.
So I won't feel bad.
But still not sure ... 🙁
All I want is a step motor.

Reply 15 of 18, by ragefury32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote on 2020-08-19, 04:26:
ragefury32 wrote on 2020-08-19, 04:16:
You can easily add a Jetdirect 610n card for the Laserjet 5 printers, they work just fine in Linux (lot or CUPS will support it […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

Phenom x3 8550

I imagine that 4-5 year interval is for heavily used printers in an office setting, right ? If used sparingly, as would be the case in most home settings, that interval might be longer, I hope .

I have a Laserjet 3050 that is almost 15 years old, prints about 500 pages a year and has not yet required servicing, am I living on borrowed time ?

Kinda - the rubber rollers do have a limited shelf life, but replacements are cheap and can be obtained without the fuser. As for the fuser - the usual guidance is about 40,000 pages, and that’ll depend on use. Most modern Laserjets should have a diagnostic printout that mentions their estimated fuser life remaining. Once the fuser wears out the print quality plummets and you’ll see ghosting on images.

Reply 16 of 18, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not much demand for old printers, even in the retro community and someone that is looking probably doesn't want to pay for shipping further limiting potential interest.
I would do what ever you want to do with it.

The Positive is Laserjet 5 is very compatible with just about any OS.
The Negative is the L is the most basic version, I'd think anyone looking for an old Laserjet would prefer something like the 5M that supports Jetdirect cards and RAM upgrades.

It IS very ugly 😉 so if you want it as a printer then fine, but if the step motor is more valuable for you then I'd happily strip it for parts with no guilt.

I can't see anyone "normal" wanting this either, you can find people giving away more modern and capable printers.

Reply 17 of 18, by BushLin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The Laserjet 5 are old enough to have drivers for old versions of windows and more likely to work on old DOS applications, plenty of people on this very forum would highly value such a printer.
If there's an issue with a pickup roller (picking paper up from the tray) they're the cheapest part to replace. These consumables are just as reliable as those found on printers made 20 years later.

Screw period correct; I wanted a faster system back then. I choose no dropped frames, super fast loading, fully compatible and quiet operation.

Reply 18 of 18, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nali wrote on 2020-08-19, 04:37:

All I want is a step motor.

The printer is yours so do what you want with it. If you need the stepper motor then by all means cannibalize it.
It's nothing special, just a very common laser printer that takes up lots of space.
The important thing is what YOU want to do with it, not what other people would do with it if they had this printer.