VOGONS

Reply 20 of 28, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Functional MAXX driver for Win2k+ doesn't exist. Everything else is just semantics.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 21 of 28, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

could be wrong but I remember the same rage fury maxx is just the name of the generic driver on that OS for all rage 128s, and it doesn't support the dual gpu implementation on that card because that doesn't work on nt 5.0++++

Besides that card sucks big time anyways, and its not really interesting even though its dual GPU becasue its just a ATI 128 at the end of the day,

Reply 23 of 28, by gex85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wow, quite a bit of discussion going on in here 😄

1. Case: I decided to go the modern route with this build for the first time. My case of choice will most likely be the Sharkoon M25-W, not the BeQuiet! Pure Base 600 TG as I had initially planned. The Sharkoon is a bit less expensive and has a two-chamber design, which adds to a much cleaner look of the interior. Also, I like the design of the front bezel better. On the minus side, the window is acrylic glass only, not the "real" tempered glass the BeQuiet has and that really looks more elegant. So lets see how the build turns out in terms of looks.

2. Graphics (1): I am pretty sure that Win2k does support multiple monitors. I remember putting some S3 PCI card in my system back in the day that would drive an additional 15" Samsung CRT next to my 17" Sony, hooked up to a GF2 Ti. It worked just as well as with Windows XP later on. The thing is, my retro computing space is still very limited, I basically share a desk with my daily driver PC and my work laptop. So currently no room for dual monitors, unfortunately.

3. Graphics (2): Voodoo 5, it is. While the Rage Fury MAXX looks cool and all, I agree with most of you that at the end of the day it's "just" two Rage 128 chips. Also, missing driver support prohibits using it in a Win2k-oriented build.

I still have to source the hard disks, the case and a few nice (rounded) IDE cables before the build can start. All other components are already sitting on the bench, waiting to be assembled 😄

My retro computers

Reply 24 of 28, by gex85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have now started to acquire the remaining parts for the actual build:
Sharkoon M25-W case:

M25-W_Black_02_front.jpg
Filename
M25-W_Black_02_front.jpg
File size
66.39 KiB
Views
File comment
Sharkoon M25-W front
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
M25-W_Black_03_side_closed.jpg
Filename
M25-W_Black_03_side_closed.jpg
File size
100.88 KiB
Views
File comment
Sharkoon M25-W side
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Found this one in good used condition together with two extra fans for less than 40€, which is OK.

I then went shopping for some sleeved black ATX and Molex power cables, fan Y-cables and, lo and behold, two strips of LED lighting. In case they don't turn out well in this build, I can still use them for my main rig.

Then I went on eBay for a second Samsung 40GB 7200rpm hard disk. Already have one, it's fast and reliable, so the two of them will make for a nice RAID-0 setup.

As I was shopping it occurred to me that this endeavor will get a bit more expensive than I had initially planned, but hey, you don't build a system like this every day. Maybe I will have to let go of some other retro stuff to re-gain funds (well, and storage space).
Most things should arrive at my doorstep before next weekend, so I hope I can start building Saturday evening.

My retro computers

Reply 25 of 28, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gex85 wrote on 2020-08-24, 11:18:

I then went shopping for some sleeved black ATX and Molex power cables,

I like modular PSU's as you can get rid of all the useless Sata and PCI-E connectors. If you use the same brand across all your rigs you can also use the unused molex cables from your modern builds.
Plus they are black by default.

Just an idea for ya 😀

Reply 26 of 28, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Windows 2000 does support multiple monitors. My dads workstation back in the day was a win 2k system with a triple monitor setup. He had one dual head agp card and a single port pci card and it worked beautifully.

Reply 27 of 28, by gex85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

All hardware needed for the build has now arrived.
I have started to put everything together.
Today I did some necessary modifications:
- Removed four pins from the sleeved ATX power extension cable because on this motherboard, there are caps and stuff so close to the connector that the 24-pin plug won't fit.
- Re-used the four sleeved cables for the floppy power connector.
- Mounted the LED controller PCB to one of the 2.5" SSD trays so it won't get in the way at all.

All components are mounted in the case and it really does come out as good as expected. I just love how much cleaner the cable management is with these modern cases. They should have built them like this 20 years ago. Product idea: Have some case manufacturer build a case which is retro on the outside but modern on the inside.

Will share pictures soon.

My retro computers

Reply 28 of 28, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gex85 wrote on 2020-08-28, 18:40:

Product idea: Have some case manufacturer build a case which is retro on the outside but modern on the inside.

I've been thinking similarly, ever since I went browsing for any interesting cases that might be out there for a retro build.
I want support for good cooling for valuable expansion cards, maybe some accommodation for ATX PSUs adapted to AT motherboards with an AT style power button, a turbo switch option, support for 8 slots in the back... the possibilities might open up to a few different models being needed. But I love the idea.