First post, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So I set up a DOS PC on an i430TX board with the following drives:

- Primary master: IDE HDD, two 2GB FAT16 partitions
- Secondary master: 512MB SD card on an SD-IDE adapter, FAT16

It's running PC-DOS 2000 without FAT32 support (mostly because I want to load Windows 3.1 on and don't trust it with FAT32/LFN.) There are no slave or optical drives.

Unfortunately it split the hard drive into drives C and E, and put the SD card on drive D. No amount of fiddling around in the BIOS has shown me an obvious way to change this.

For organizational reasons, I'd rather have:
C: - Primary HDD partition
D: - 1st logical drive on extended HDD part
E: - SD card

Is there a way to remap this?

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 1 of 6, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That is how DOS always sets drive letters. From Wikipedia:

Assign the drive letter A: to the first floppy disk drive (drive 0), and B: to the second floppy disk drive (drive 1). If only one physical floppy is present, drive B: will be assigned to a phantom floppy drive mapped to the same physical drive and dynamically assigned to either A: or B: for easier floppy file operations. If no physical floppy drive is present, DOS 4.0 will assign both A: and B: to the non-existent drive, whereas DOS 5.0 and higher will invalidate these drive letters. If more than two physical floppy drives are present, DOS versions prior to 5.0 will assign subsequent drive letters, whereas DOS 5.0 and higher will remap these drives to higher drive letters at a later stage; see below.
Assign a drive letter to the first active primary partition recognized upon the first physical hard disk. DOS 5.0 and higher will ensure that it will become drive C:, so that the boot drive will either have drive A: or C:.
Assign subsequent drive letters to the first primary partition upon each successive physical hard disk drive (DOS versions prior to 5.0 will probe for only two physical harddisks, whereas DOS 5.0 and higher support eight physical harddisks).
Assign subsequent drive letters to every recognized logical partition present in the first extended partition, beginning with the first hard drive and proceeding through successive physical hard disk drives.
DOS 5.0 and higher: Assign drive letters to all remaining primary partitions, beginning with the first hard drive and proceeding through successive physical hard disk drives.
DOS 5.0 and higher: Assign drive letters to all physical floppy drives beyond the second physical floppy drive.
Assign subsequent drive letters to any block device drivers loaded in CONFIG.SYS via DEVICE statements, e.g. RAM disks.
Assign subsequent drive letters to any dynamically loaded drives via CONFIG.SYS INSTALL statements, in AUTOEXEC.BAT or later, i.e. additional optical disc drives (MSCDEX etc.), PCMCIA / PC Card drives, USB or Firewire drives, or network drives.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 2 of 6, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hmm, didn't realize that was defined behavior. Guess I don't need to mess with it...

It's annoying because it changes the name of the extended partition, depending on whether I boot with the SD card installed, but not that critical in practice.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 4 of 6, by Flashy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There were days when everybody carried a spare hdd in a mobile rack drawer in his backpack for moving data. When I put my drive into the bay of my friend's computer, my drive (one primary partition) would be D: and his logical partitions got shifted (the same problem as yours). One solution/trick was to create a logical partition (or partitions) on my drive instead of primary, so my drive got the next letter after the first drive's ALL partitions (assuming the main drive was primary master).
Other idea is to try to create two primary partitions on the main drive so the SD always comes last, but I am not sure which DOS supports it, you have to try it. (the no-primary-only-logical-in-extended was also illegal in former DOS versions I think).

Other hacks are the ASSIGN and SUBST (maybe JOIN) commands under DOS (Google helps with usage). They do not help with automatic drive letters, but you can create redirected drive letters and directories by software for your needs (or the special needs of some game).

Reply 6 of 6, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
aleksej wrote on 2020-08-22, 13:34:

Cool, thanks a lot. Zip file is mentioned here.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//