Pentium Overdrive PODP5V83 question

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 30, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
abasak wrote on 2022-03-28, 19:42:

There’s no multiplier on the board, only for clockspeed, which I left at 33mhz. Maybe that is the issue.

2.5x multiplier is hardlocked in podp you should correctly install jumpers on motherboard only

Need help? Begin with photo and model of your hardware 😉

Reply 22 of 30, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nope not all. Once more - you should find manual for your motherboard or info for jumpers settings for correct detection/installation PODP83 Pentium overdrive CPU.

Reply 23 of 30, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
abasak wrote on 2022-03-28, 15:57:

Apologies for ressurecting the thread, but thought this question might be better answered here:

I recently acquired a podp5v83, and put it into my old childhood 486DX2 66Mhz-build, just to play what if… the board is from ‘93 and I have not been able to ID it, seems like it is a taiwanese clone board..anyway the system boots but the Overdrive is reported as a 486DX2 at boot, is this expected behaviour?

If the motherboard is from 1993 you will probably encounter many issues when trying to use a POD. Intel changed the Overdrive specs very late in the game, so pre-1995 boards usually don't work reliably (or at all) with the POD.

Reply 24 of 30, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
abasak wrote on 2022-03-28, 20:05:

What else is there to do if the boards runs at 33Mhz? Isn’t that all?

The other jumpers are for cache management. And also to select 5V, if applicable

Reply 25 of 30, by abasak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The board is 5v only. I can’t find the specific board, I believe it is a clone board. It is very close to some of the Pine Technology boards, but not exactly.. so I do not have access to a manual. It is only equipped with jumpers for the clockrate.
I haven’t tried it much yet, just got it to boot.

But just wondering if it registering as a 486DX2 was expected from an old board like this.. or if I will damage it?

Reply 29 of 30, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's a common layout for many motherboards on UMC, Contaq, OPTI and maybe ALI chipsets. I took a quick look at TH99 hardware database and the only hope is cache layout and keyboard controller positions. Many jumpers are hardlocked (but all motherboards required special jumpers configuration for Pentium Overdrive).

Reply 30 of 30, by Bruno128

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
abasak wrote on 2022-03-28, 21:31:

Lucky Star

Hi if you still have it could you dump the BIOS ROM?

https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/lucky- … unknown-ali1429

Now playing: Red Faction on 2003 Acrylic build

SBEMU compatibility reports