bloodem wrote on 2020-08-24, 19:25:
I compared them a while back, so don't have exact numbers right now. However, there was a very noticeable difference in all my usual tests (GLQuake, Quake 2, Expendable, NFS 3, NFS4, 3DMark 99/2000). For GLQuake / Quake 2 it wasn't a big issue, because framerates were still very high, however for NFS3 and especially for NFS4, the gameplay experience is actually affected with newer cards/drivers.
If I find the time, I might do a GeForce 2 GTS / GeForce 4 MX 440 comparison tomorrow on one of my Pentium 3 PCs. It would be interesting for future reference.
Hi guys ! I got earlier in the morning the Geforce 3 ti200 and i received by mail my voodoo 3, its was a big day ! LoL and it will be a long 😀 LoL!
You know what you're talking about, Bloodem 😀
First about Detonator 7,76 you were right. With the geforce 3 ti200 each game in 1024x768 have 10 to 20+ more fps than nvidia 30.82 driver.
In NFSIII , with 7,76 the first race, with the highest graphics setting in 1024x768 i got 60fps , 100% stable. I didnt find a way to fall to 59fps 🤣 Always at 60fps. BUT with 30.82, with same setting, race start at 55fps and drop to 45 when A LOT of cars or 50-55 with a lot of fog. When no car around it stays at 60fps. i made several tests.. But if i put view distance to medium it will stay at 60fps almost 99% of the time. it drop to 55fps when a lot of cars in the same place.
So i will play this game with 7,76 driver.
With Porsche Unleashed BIG DIFFERENCE!
With 7.76 driver
in 1024x768x32 with highest graphics settings , except high view distance instead of very high and NO HUD display option: in the Normandie race, at the start in forest with a lot of cars, i got 55 and the next minute it was 50 to 65 fps, one time only it drop to 45 fps. Most of time 50-60fps. As soon as i exit the forest even with a lot of cars at the exit , for the next minute i got 65 fps to 75fps even with a lot of cars. After that When i race at first place with no cars around i got 75 to 85fps until the lap end. IM 100% satisfied with the geforce 3 ti in this game. ( i will make the same test in my p2 450mhz soon and update my benchmark result)
Now!! ouch!! With 30.82 drivers, things gone bad. LoL! With same settings, at start i got 28-29fps yeah instead of 50-60 with 7,76 driver. Ouch!!
When racing in forest with a lot of cars i got i got 27 to 35fps most of the time, a few time 25fps. a few times 40fps. when i exit the forest with no cars around, i got 62 to 67fps until the lap end VS 75-85 for 7,76 driver. GF3 with 30,82 is still a lot better than geforce mx440se-64bit at 15-20fps at the start of Normandie race. with 30.82 its still runs 2X time better than mx440se. i have to check again but i think the ram of my 440mx 64bit is only sdr , its really a bad card.
Here's the problem with 7,76 drivers. I DIDN'T FIND a way to get Hot Pursuit 2 working with 7.76 driver. i tried for a long time. Even with the game fully patched with last patch, game froze at startup OR when starting the race. i have to reboot the computer. More strange in graphics setting if i switch to 32bit, a black screen appear and game freeze. if i try to max out the different setting, it says: your hardware cant do highest setting. so i can select them.
But with 30.82 drivers, game run at least very fine, very playable. I made several tests with differents graphics setting. But in medium graphics at 1024x768x32bits i got at least always 30fps. most of time 35 to 45. high is 50-55 with no cars around. in these same graphic setting i got 7 to 12fps with mx440se. same for gf2mx 200 64bit.
In high graphics with gf3 ti200 the game between 20 to 35fps, its not playable for me. Medium graphic is st least very playable in 1024x768x32b.
I have some questions 😀
1. Do you believe i could have more fps in Porshe unleashed and Hot Pursuit2 with a Geforce 4 Ti4200? ( maybe i will buy one in a few months)
And the same question for the Geforce 2 GTS,Ti,Ultra ? ( but i think it should be worst than gf3) ( i think 6800gt or ultra too will be slower, right? i think this because fx 5200 pci 64bit runs very badly in NFSiii worse than mx440se by a big difference.) thanks
2. On my P3 933mhz, With the voodoo 3 i patches NFSIII with the voodoo 3 patch, but i think it runs in D3D instead of Glide 3dfx mode ? How can i know in which mode it runs ? Did i configured it correctly for glide ? i followed the instruction. And fraps doesnt work with voodoo3 in NFSIII. But the game dont runs very smootly, it looks like 40-45fps very disappointed 🙁 Still i will play it with Gf3 ti200 instead. Except if the game was running in d3d and i find a way to get glide working and at 60fps. Im very disappoibted of the voodoo3 performance with NFS III 🙁 i dont need fraps to see that the game runs not very smootly like 40-45fps. thanks
3. I cant find a way to get Wipeout XL working in Glide, because Glide dont appear in the configuration menu, only d3d. and i didn't find any glide 3dfx patch for Wipeout XL. i would like to play this game on my voodoo3 like in my young age with voodoo1. any voodoo3 patch ? thanks
4. About the voodoo 3 in glide, i got it working very nicely in NFS II SE, i love the fog. But do you know any trick to get higher resolution ? i think its 640x480.
5. What is the best voodoo3 driver for win98? i use the last official one. i think 1.07 or something like that.
Thanks again for answers guys it ALWAYS appreciated.
Thanks Bloodem for the gf3 ti200 im VERY satisfied with it. I will play a lot of NFSIII with it with 7,76 driver. and i will switch to 30.82 for hot pursuit2. i will try NFS High Stakes later.
Note: im sorry if you found a lot of grammars fault , i will correct the post in 2-3 hours, i have to take my kids somewhere... 😀