VOGONS

First post, by mbliss11

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey everyone!

I am starting to finally settle on a few of my machines and will be giving them a permanent home on my desk. I am starting to look for applications or other mods to make using these old treasures more enjoyable. I recently discovered cdbq which is an excellent dos application that can be used to lower the rpm's of cd drives so my 52x drive doesn't constantly sound like a jet engine every time I launch a game or install something. Looking to see what other types of apps or upgrades you guys have used to make your retro computing experiences more enjoyable. Any suggestions? Could be software or hardware (gotek floopy emulator, crt, nice vintage keyboard, etc.).

Reply 1 of 10, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I mostly use Windows 98 and not DOS, but maybe this list is useful anyway.

Software:
- PATCHMEM for more than 512MB RAM on Windows 98
- USB20DRV.EXE and nusb36a.exe for modern USB storage devices and keyboards
- Daemon Tools 3.47 for mounting all of my backup copies of software and games
- 7-Zip 9.20 for compressed archives
- CD Bremse for slowing down the DVD drive
- SnapShot for making screenshots on Windows 98
- NDN file manager for DOS

Hardware:
- SD2IDE adapter from Sintechi. You can find these everywhere and it's nice to get rid of the noise of a traditional harddrive.
Just a word of advice: Don't use SanDisk SD cards. I've burned through so many of them, they have terrible durability. A few write cycles and they're shot. I now use Transcend TS64GSDC300S in my retro machine.
- Zalman ZM80D-HP - this is a dual heatpipe that fits on almost every ATI/Nvidia GPU from the early 2000's. Newer GPU's need a fan, on older ones like the MX400 you can run it passively cooled. I paired it with a Zalman OP-1 low-speed fan on my Radeon 9600XT to further reduce the noise of my machine.
- Soarer's converter for IBM keyboards - these come in various forms for XT/AT/PS2 and terminal keyboards. You can get them pre-built or assemble them yourself. I've bought myself a Teensy2.0 and flashed the software on it and now I can use a 122key IBM Model M terminal keyboard via USB on Windows 98 (and DOS, thanks to BIOS emulation):

funplace.jpg
Filename
funplace.jpg
File size
439.59 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

- Regarding the screen: I think the Dell 2007FP is really solid. It can handle almost every resolution and it's nice and crisp on 1600x1200, especially if you get the version with an S-IPS panel. These screens need to be recapped due to sh*tty capacitors, though. Mine was flickering like crazy when I got it until I swapped all of the caps.

What I really want to have in the future is a SCSI2SD adapter. These are quite expensive, though.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 2 of 10, by mbliss11

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the suggestions! I have been playing around with Daemon tools on my SS7 build for a bit but am having trouble getting CD audio working. Thinking that it could just be a limitation with the chipset but I will have to do some more experiments.

That is awesome that you got the terminal keyboard working! Love Model M keyboards I have one with my system now.

I played around with a bunch of LCDs but decided to go with a CRT in the end. I just love the contrast on these old tubes and gives a really nice authentic feel to them.

I tried using CD Bremse on my WIN95 installation but sadly it was too new for it. I will give it a shot on some of my 98 machines.

I too have been curious about the SCSI to SD adapters but have not explored them. Interesting that you have had issues with SanDisks I have been using them for a while and no issues so far ::knocks on desk:: Will keep Transcend in mind should I need to grab more.

I love your setup and the boombox is the best!

Thanks for posting! 😀

Reply 3 of 10, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The mTCP suite of applications is a must on my DOS machines. It makes file transfer so easy and convenient and does not sacrifice the "retro" look of the PC.

Also a Gotek that I use to install all the base software on new builds, although when I'm done I replace it with an actual floppy drive.

Reply 4 of 10, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tend to hang around in that area of the 8088-early Pentium and not stray further. I have a lot of standard "convienences" to work around.

HARDWARE

The #1 concern for me here is getting data on and off the hard disk, and, particularly with anything 386 or newer, run multiple O/S on the same machine with the least fuss possible. This means I use mostly just ginormous 3rd hand PATA HDD or SATA SSD & HDD with SATA to PATA converters. The only size ceiling I have is for my DOS/W31 machines - 8GB, though I prefer to limit my 286 and older stuff to 3GB or less because there's just no way an XT or AT class machine will use up all 8GB.

When possible I install a "Mobile Rack" - basically a removable hard drive caddy system, so I can pull the hard disk, and plug it into my modern machines to move data to it or back the drives up. This is also a big reason I like the NEC Versa Laptops for a 486/early Pentium era device because it's pretty much the same system but for a 2.5" drive. This type of setup is also handy for when I do want to use a smaller drive to use an older operating system that does not play well with Dynamic Drive Overlays - like OS/2 or Slackware 96'.

Of course everything has some kind of Networking hardware installed. All desktops get a standard 8/16-bit ISA or PCI network interface card, and the laptops get PCMCIA WiFi cards, in particular, the Cisco Aironet 350 series cards because they work with DOS, Windows 3.1x, AND Windows 9x and higher, and from Win 98 on up they DO support WPA encryption making any device using them capable of running on a modern WPA WiFi Network assuming 802.11 A/B is allowed. For Desktop NICs all I require is that I can find the NDIS drivers and Packet Driver.

Currently I'm working out a battery situation for my laptops so I can carry them around the house and not have to rely on having an AC Adapter at the destination.

SOFTWARE

I have a pretty bog standard requirement for ALL O/S I install and intend to use for more than just experimentation and gaming, and that is
- Network Software (to connect to with my modern machines and the other vintage machines when needed)
- A TLS Compliant Web Browser (to download files with)
- Archive extraction tools, usually this is WinRAR but for non-Windows Clients I use other programs obviously
- The ability to use Virtualized CD-ROMs when possible, because honestly I hate having to flip through folders or pull my big boxes down just to play one game
- And Certain Games Get certain things installed depending on the O/S

DOS - MS-DOS 6.22 and FreeDOS (usually)

- Network software is the mTCP suite, which someone else already mentioned, I use FTPSRV in lieu of a network stack, it's just lighter and faster than Microsoft Network Client 3.0, and I don't have to enable SMB 1.0 to make it work. Plus it's shut off when I don't need it (security)

- For internet I tend to prefer to use twibright's Links browser since it's TLS compliant and allows me to access the modern web. Typically I use this for downloading files off the internet directly since it's way less fiddly that way. However I do use it for entertainment and educational purposes as well. I also use Arachne from time to time. for the older computers (<286) I use DOSLynx to access the web which is very rare on those machine, I tend to prefer using BBSes on those for a more "authentic" experience.

- for archives I use PKZIP 250 for DOS, and UnRAR for DOS. I also have used 7Zip Command Line as well for stuff from certain sites.

- I'm still figuring it out but I know there's a way to mount ISO files using SHSUCDEX allowing for CD-ROM virtualization in ISO Format in DOS. Something I plan to utilize when I bump the Versas up to SSDs and put FreeDOS on them.

- I don't use a lot of utilities for Games in DOS, about the only ones are Doug The Eagle's expansion tools for Ultima VI the False Prophet so I have a savegame manager, and can hack the game if I wish (I usually have 2 installs of each ultima, one that's stock, and one with all the Ultima updates added to it with an "E" at the end of the folder).

Windows 3.11 For Workgroups - I only ever use this version of Windows 3.1x, and it's the oldest version I can practically use

- Networking of course is done over TCPIP32B using DHCP with Microsoft File and Printer Sharing enabled
- Web Browser is the one and only Opera 3.62 which is not TLS Compliant, I got the Opera people to give me the key when I asked if I could buy version 3.62 to get rid of the nag screen, I have been known from time to time to kick in the Packet Driver and use Links from there if I need TLS
- For Archives all I need is the mighty WinRAR 2.80 running atop Win32S. It makes life a whole lot easier
- Unfortunatley no Virtual CD-ROM drives in Win3x unless someone knows of a tool like Virtual CDROM for Win9x that worked in 3.1x
- I don't really have to do much for games on Win3x, most of the Win3x stuff is gtg, I might have to install WinG for some things, and Win32S for others

Windows 9x - I keep it much the same for Windows 95/98/Se/ME

- For networking, same deal, TCP/IP over DHCP, Windows Network Shares - have to enable SMB 1.0 in windows 10 though.
- For Internet, RetroZilla - though sometimes I have better luck with Nathan LIneback's hacked Seamonkey
- Winrar 3.80 for Archives
- CD Virtualization is Virtual CD-ROM for Win9x or an older version of Daemon Tools....what sucks is I like VCDR better but it uses VCD files, while Daemon Tools uses standard ISOs
- Certain games get tweaked. Ultima VII parts 1 & 2 and Ultima VIII uses U7dpmi.exe and U8dpmi.exe respectively. Postal is installed using the demo executable and the resource files from the full version because my copy is some old Softwrap piece of junk that the code no longer works for that I bought way back in 2006. The most labor intensive things are DOS games ad Emulators - Virtual GameBoy and Mame get custom Batch files built and then all the EXEs are linked in a DOS Game Program Group and a Emulation Program Group.

Windows NT/2000/XP - It's very very rare I ever use anything beyond 98SE on my machines. Pretty much any game from 1999 onward I can get running in Windows 10 without any issues using the original install media. That said, sometimes I do like to try making my 486 and early pentium boxes endure a bit of torture far beyond what is normally expected.

- Networking is easy, setup on my workgroup, TCP/IP with DHCP, and file shares, same as all the other Windows stuff
- Browser is almost always Firefox - yes, I have run Firefox 10 on a 486 DX4-100.....it's not fun....actually, I'm quite shocked a 486 can run something that new
- Daemon Tools for Viirtualization
- Modern 32-bit version of WinRAR, not sure what version
- Games get tweaked much the same as 9x. On Pentiums though I occasionally use Exult rather than DPMI for Ultima 7.

Now, it looks like a lot of work, I know, but it's actually rather hands off and easy for me after 15 years of this. All my installer CD's have the drivers and updates rolled into them, I have a 1TB external drive that holds all my backed up software and tweaks and configurations, and backed up installs I can just sys c:\ and rebuild quickly without running an installer.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 5 of 10, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mbliss11 wrote on 2020-08-23, 00:12:

I tried using CD Bremse on my WIN95 installation but sadly it was too new for it.

Try Nero CD/DVD speed. It's freeware and the older versions should work on Win95 as well.

To limit the drive speed, insert the CD of the game that you want to play, go to the ScanDisc tab, select 4x speed (or whatever you prefer) and then click Start. Once the surface test begins, you'll hear your drive slow down to the selected speed. Then, simply click Stop and exit the program. Your drive is now locked at that speed until you either eject the CD or reboot the computer.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 6 of 10, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I assume you already know about KVM's so you don't need multiple screens, keyboards, mice?

#1 Networking. Once you have that up you can install or copy rest of the drivers over the network. install software over the network, backup files, etc.
#2 Archive program. Your choice I like WinRAR but that's just personal choice and actaully install WInzip on Win3x PC's for full retro feel
#3 Daemon Tools 3.47 Great for installing software. The Audio thing is hit or miss DaemonTools No CD Audio
#4 Gotek Mostly for files pre network or boot disks.

This is my "must have" list, everything else is getting down to individual tastes like installing updates, browsers, etc etc

Reply 7 of 10, by mbliss11

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the insight Creepingnet! Networking is one thing that I have yet to get into with my rigs but it has always interested me. I was able to get a few nic cards late last year with drivers up on a few of my 98 machines but I noticed afterwards their boot times increased significantly as a result of the added network configs in the background (searching for dhcp etc.). If they are actually networked is there any added boot times as a result or is it just that the nics were cold and nothing attached?

Currently my machines are using CF or SD for storage and I am able to pull and transfer files from my main rig to them easily. I like the form factor and so far have not had any reliability issues with them but have researched drive caddys in the past. May explore them in the future if and when my CF and SD storage solutions start to become problematic.

Thanks Joseph_Jostear! Will try that today and report back! I love how cdbq works in dos and would love to find a solution that is similar for Win95.

Chinny - KVM was the first thing I acquired once my stock of old machines starting getting a little out of hand haha Love them and my desk appreciates the space saving it provides. I would love a gotek like hardware solution for CD and DVD images. Saw a few posts on Vogons about a arcade machine solution that is available however it is expensive and have not had anyone try it and report its use. With many vintage consoles getting drive emulators in the last few years it should hopefully only be a matter of time before a hardware solution comes out for PCs.

Gotek like Optical Driver Emulator - Is it possible?

My setup is currently a Socket5 running a pentium MMX overdrive 200 with Voodoo1 AWE32 and S3 Trio 64+ for DOS and Win95 and a Pentium 3 Tualatin 1.4 GHZ with geforce4 ti 4200 AGP, Voodoo3 PCI, Soundblaster Live SB0100 for Win98. Hoping that these 2 should cover the gambit of games that I am interested in playing but honestly I tinker and experiment with hardware combinations more than actually use them for gaming. I have a SS7 build with a K6-3+ and would possibly replace the Socket5 with it but its case is a traditional vertical setup and my socket 5 is a horizontal with my CRT sitting on top of it. I like that look and setup. Should a case appear that I could swap the SS7 in I may go that route but with setmul my socket 5 machine has a lot of versatility for older games and has been rock solid.

I got the idea from another user on here to use slimline drives with gotek in one 5.25 bay. These worked well in my setups however finding slim drives that were reliable was a bit of a journey:

A couple (or, perhaps, quite a bit more) rigs for all ages

Thanks again everyone for contributing! Looks like networking may be the next thing I should explore

Reply 8 of 10, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My first quality of life addition to motherboards is to get an ethernet card with XT-IDE bios on it.

The XT-IDE bios means you can use a modern, oversized hard drives in the computer, even if the original BIOS doesn't work with them. Means you have enough hard drive space and it is quiet.

Then you have ethernet, which helps you get data on or off these computers.

Reply 9 of 10, by mbliss11

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey canthearu! Hard drive size limitations was one of the first things I remember discovering after I first started getting into the hobby. My socket 5 has an 8gig limitation which is unfortunate in my 95 installation however I recently discovered dynamic disk overlay software and was able to circumvent that finally on that machine. Unfortunately it added an additional layer of complexity when accessing the drive on my modern machine as it no longer sees the drive and asks to be formatted. Luckily virtualization came in to save the day and I spun up a WIndows 7 box which reads it just fine.

I have updated the bios on several of my boards in the past to get more CPU support and some of those also provided for more storage as well. Unfortunately my socket 5 Dell Optiplex GL5100 last bios update did not do the trick. I was curious to see if there was a Mr.Bios upgrade for it using Evergreen Spectra software however it just provided a bios modification to provide support for k6 processors (I used it in conjunction with a Powerleap PL-PROMMX). Was hoping to replicate this Super Socket 5 machine I stumbled upon:

The Super Socket 5 Gateway 2000

I was able to get a K6-3 working on the machine however it had some issues with my COAST module but after removing the motherboard cache it worked well. I ended up just slapping the POD200 back into it for more versatility with older games with Setmul.

Reply 10 of 10, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mbliss11 wrote on 2020-08-24, 11:30:

I have updated the bios on several of my boards in the past to get more CPU support and some of those also provided for more storage as well. Unfortunately my socket 5 Dell Optiplex GL5100 last bios update did not do the trick. I was curious to see if there was a Mr.Bios upgrade for it using Evergreen Spectra software however it just provided a bios modification to provide support for k6 processors (I used it in conjunction with a Powerleap PL-PROMMX). Was hoping to replicate this Super Socket 5 machine I stumbled upon:

Yep, several of my later boards (Socket 5) were Award BIOS based and for those you can apply some custom BIOS fixes that allow full 128GiB hard drive support (that doesn't do anything untoward if you put an even larger drive in)

I don't really like drive overlay software, because as you said, they tend to be a bit incompatible with the rest of the world. XT-IDE is quite compatible with normal IDE interfaces. The only snag I have had is that you can't use the special drivers that come with some VLB IDE cards to get faster drive transfers. However, if the BIOS programs the faster PIO modes, XT-IDE tends to work fine there. To me, it isn't a great loss because if you are using 250 gig Hard drive on a 486, then you already have a hard drive with access times significantly faster than "period correct" drives. Transfer speeds have never been a large performance impediment on anything as slow as a 486, in comparison to access times.