VOGONS

Turn on AT PSU without Motherboard

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 25, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I once came across a dodgy AT PSU where only the live was wired to the power switch, while the neutral was connected directly from the socket to the PCB. So in that case pressing the button only connected the live wire, which allowed the PSU to start.

There's also the case of some AT power supplies (usually from OEMs) which provide a +5VSB line and pressing the power switch just connects two wires (similar to PS_ON and ground in ATX) to start the PSU. In that case there are no dangerous voltages near the switch.

Reply 21 of 25, by Oj0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Miphee wrote on 2020-08-26, 06:13:
Mephusto wrote on 2020-08-26, 05:52:

Yeah I will. I usually dont mess around anything that is still connected to an outlet or with large capacitors. Electricity is very respected by me.....I'm scared of it.

You can also bypass the PSU rocker switch with a single switch adapter, that way you don't have to touch the PSU at all. Just switch it on and use the adapter's switch to turn it on/off.

How is that different from using the wall switch?

Bondye: Pentium II 400MHz, AOpen AX6BC EZ, 256MB PC-100, 40GB IDE HDD, PowerColor EvilKing 4 Voodoo4 4500 AGP
Daily Driver: Core i7-4790K, Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming5, 16GB DDR3-1600, 120GB SSD + 10.5TB SATA HDD, GeForce GTX 1050

Reply 22 of 25, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I strongly advice everyone that are new to AT PSU's, to read up on safety warnings and how they work. It gives solid knowledge on how they are actually working, and thus eliminating potential risk of shock. 110 volt are no fun, imagine 220 to 240 volts.... Ouch. 240volt shock is absolutely no fun (Speaking out of at least 4 times personal experiences to this date)

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 23 of 25, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Vaudane wrote:

What sort of loads would be required on each rail for a decent power tester?

My guess would be switchable banks of resistors, to be able to load the main rails up to their rated current. And maybe some fixed 0.3A loads for the minor rails.
Resistors can be overloaded quite a lot if you provide forced airflow, and for that purpose you can use computer fans supplied from the very PSU being tested.

Oetker wrote:

I've noticed that sometimes AT PSU power buttons have four wires, sometimes two. Isn't a two-wire switch rather unsafe as, depending on how the user's outlet might be wired, it could only be switching neutral?

Haven't seen one with two wires, but I wouldn't rule out their existence. Most newer ATX power supplies have a single pole switch on their backs, and in countries that use non-polarized outlets this means in about 50% of cases you're switching the neutral (yeah, I know, nobody switches the ATX power from the back, but still). Shouldn't be dangerous, unless you start poking the insides while plugged, and that's a bad idea regardless if the switch is single pole or 2-pole.

Reply 24 of 25, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Vaudane wrote on 2020-08-26, 15:17:
quicknick wrote on 2020-08-24, 01:15:

You'll need to provide a minimum load, else it won't start or the voltages will be all over the place. I keep a couple of dead HDDs (that are still spinning) for this purpose. The voltages might still be a bit off with such a light load, but at least you'll know if it's safe to use it to power a full system before a final voltage check.

This is something I have toyed with for actually building an AT power tester. 50-100W resistors are cheap. What sort of loads would be required on each rail for a decent power tester? Do you just gun it at max power output as this should be specified on the PSU somewhere? Do you use high resistances to measure the voltage accurately, but that gives low load? Obviously overloading with low resistances is a bad idea as once the magic smoke gets out, you can't put it back in...

You can build an electrolyte load bank using a pair of electrodes, a pail of water, and an acid or other electrolyte. Set the lower bound for impedance by placing the electrodes at full depth and adding electrolyte until the desired impedance is achieved. Reduce the depth of the electrodes to increase your resistance.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 25 of 25, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Oj0 wrote on 2020-08-26, 21:40:

How is that different from using the wall switch?

You don't have to unplug it every time you want to turn the PSU off.