VOGONS

First post, by solidus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I have been getting the urge to build the smallest possible DOS machine.. preferably something with an Pentium/MMX CPU. Was there ever an actual mini-ITX socket 7 mobo produced? I dont seem to be able to find any. Most of my searching on here and other places has led me to people doing builds using a VIA platform mobo. Is this the only true option for a mini ITX size machine that can run DOS? Is there no true way to get an actual Socket 7 CPU into a Mini ITX form factor?

Reply 1 of 14, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Perhaps you could find a Pentium laptop with a broken screen, and take apart the insides and adapt something together if the motherboard is shaped the right way.
I believe Pentium predates Mini-ITX.

Reply 2 of 14, by ajacocks

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have such a machine, the Unisys CWD-5001 (like this: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Unisys-Cwd5001-ZA-min … PC/250552596524).

It's a great machine. I upgraded the CPU in mine to a Pentium 200.

- Alex

Reply 3 of 14, by solidus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ajacocks wrote on 2020-08-26, 23:44:

I have such a machine, the Unisys CWD-5001 (like this: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Unisys-Cwd5001-ZA-min … PC/250552596524).

- Alex

This is pretty cool. I was hoping to go the custom build route with this though if possible. I really wanted to get a modern mini-ITX case to put it all in.

Reply 4 of 14, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't think you will find smaller than baby AT or micro ATX for socket 7.

If you want smaller and are flexible, VIA made some nano ITX boards with C6 CPUs, starting at around 500 MHz. The cheapest on eBay right now are 667 MHz, but there is a 533 MHz Eden board that's not very expensive (I have a few of those boards waiting to be tested, from 533 MHz up to 1 GHz).

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 5 of 14, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are industrial application 486s in PC/104 format. Much smaller than mini-itx but pretty limited in expansion expansion options. You would also probably have to design your own case.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 6 of 14, by solidus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
debs3759 wrote on 2020-08-27, 00:04:

If you want smaller and are flexible, VIA made some nano ITX boards with C6 CPUs, starting at around 500 MHz. The cheapest on eBay right now are 667 MHz, but there is a 533 MHz Eden board that's not very expensive (I have a few of those boards waiting to be tested, from 533 MHz up to 1 GHz).

This was what I was leaning toward if the Socket 7 plan didnt work out. So these are totally x86 compatible? Those sound like they will be way fast for most DOS games though wouldnt they?

Reply 7 of 14, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
solidus wrote on 2020-08-27, 00:14:
debs3759 wrote on 2020-08-27, 00:04:

This was what I was leaning toward if the Socket 7 plan didnt work out. So these are totally x86 compatible? Those sound like they will be way fast for most DOS games though wouldnt they?

They will be fast, yes, but I understand there is software to throttle faster CPUs for games and other software that runs too fast. They are x86 CPUs, C6 CPUs in the PGA format run on socket 370. The only issue with Epia boards is that they can't be upgraded by a home user, as they have BGA CPUs.

Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 8 of 14, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

well it is a x86 CPU ^^

there's also an ITX board with a Cyrix Media GX MMX processor around... other than that that leaves mostly just industrial and embedded solutions but that's a whole different rabbit hole to go down and as said with limited options and usually expensive.

either a via ITX board or a thin client might be an option.

Reply 9 of 14, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
imi wrote on 2020-08-27, 00:27:

I have a thin client with a Transmeta CPU in it somewhere in one of my crates. Really must get round to testing it at some point. Smaller than a laptop 😀

Reply 10 of 14, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Doesn't quite fit your requirements OP, but I've always wanted to play with one of these:

industrial DOS PC.PNG
Filename
industrial DOS PC.PNG
File size
300.57 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Meant for industrial applications. PCI & ISA slots, and ports for days. You'd probably want to run Win9x or FreeDOS to get the most out of it.

Reply 11 of 14, by solidus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
imi wrote on 2020-08-27, 00:27:
well it is a x86 CPU ^^ […]
Show full quote

well it is a x86 CPU ^^

there's also an ITX board with a Cyrix Media GX MMX processor around... other than that that leaves mostly just industrial and embedded solutions but that's a whole different rabbit hole to go down and as said with limited options and usually expensive.

Ok makes sense. Since the Mini-ITX form factor was introduced around 2001.. does that mean the Pentium 4 is likely the earliest Intel CPU that had Mini-ITX mobos socketed for it? Or were there mobo manufacturers that created boards that were socketed for older CPUs? Im not totally clear on how soon after VIA introduced the form factor that 3rd parties began making boards using it. Seems like VIA originally just created this for their own CPUs of course

Reply 12 of 14, by solidus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Pierre32 wrote on 2020-08-27, 00:38:

Doesn't quite fit your requirements OP, but I've always wanted to play with one of these:

industrial DOS PC.PNG

Meant for industrial applications. PCI & ISA slots, and ports for days. You'd probably want to run Win9x or FreeDOS to get the most out of it.

Thats actually really cool. I am fascinated by small form factor. I can always jam a bunch of cool stuff into a full tower... but small form is just so cool

Reply 13 of 14, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

- Alex

I also have a CWD-5001 and it is the smallest true Pentium original build any one will ever find. Great little machines ! Also upgraded to Pentium 200-S, 32Mb EDO plus Adaptec 2940 and use an external SCSI CDrom with it.
Added: it is 11.5" wide x 9" deep x 3" tall.

Here is a previous topic talking about small form factor Socket 7's: Smallest Socket 7 Motherboard

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 14 of 14, by solidus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2020-08-27, 00:55:
I also have a CWD-5001 and it is the smallest true Pentium original build any one will ever find. Great little machines ! Also […]
Show full quote

- Alex

I also have a CWD-5001 and it is the smallest true Pentium original build any one will ever find. Great little machines ! Also upgraded to Pentium 200-S, 32Mb EDO plus Adaptec 2940 and use an external SCSI CDrom with it.
Added: it is 11.5" wide x 9" deep x 3" tall.

Here is a previous topic talking about small form factor Socket 7's: Smallest Socket 7 Motherboard

Ah that thread is perfect.. time to read!