VOGONS

First post, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just picked up a Socket 2 486 motherboard and I am trying to find the manual and or jumper settings for it. It appears to be a Mustek 486 board. Some of the stuff is labeled on the board, but it would be nice to all the jumper settings documented. It has an Award BIOS. The BIOS string is 02/16/96-SiS-496-497/A/B-2A4IBM89C-00 and BIOS ID is 2A4IBM89.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ar6NijzQIpZIjQDiwLj9kJ2U-L8h?e=71mV3V

Reply 1 of 9, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sorry I can barely read anything in your picture and that BIOS string gave me no search results. No offense but this is 2020 and the best image you could give us is 481x641 resolution ? You can directly upload photos up to 1Mb in size attached to your post here. You do not need external linking. Pleas post a better picture, thanks !

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 9, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote on 2020-08-27, 01:32:

Sorry I can barely read anything in your picture and that BIOS string gave me no search results. No offense but this is 2020 and the best image you could give us is 481x641 resolution ? You can directly upload photos up to 1Mb in size attached to your post here. You do not need external linking. Pleas post a better picture, thanks !

The linked picture is 4032x3024 and is 4.36 MB in size. You can double click the picture once it loads in the browser and then scroll around by dragging the mouse for greater detail. There should also be an option along the top to download the picture locally. Anyway here is an attached file reduced to 517KB.

One more thing on the BIOS screen it says LAZER-TRON VER.B if that helps.

Attachments

• IMG_0699 - Copy.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0699 - Copy.JPG
    File size
    517.15 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Motherboard photo
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 3 of 9, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Great thanks but still cannot properly read the print between 2nd and 3rd PCI slots (whether I double -click and DL from one drive or in your attached image). It appears to be B887/??? AI right above the Made in Taiwan. Those would be the best to search for, sorry I should have been more clear as to what I was looking for...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 9, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here are 3 more images to see that helps.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600.jpg
    File size
    256.55 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Picture 2
    File license
    Public domain
  • s-l1600 (1).jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    File size
    99.7 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Picture 3
    File license
    Public domain
  • s-l1600 (2).jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    File size
    276.23 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Picture 4
    File license
    Public domain
  • s-l1600 (3).jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600 (3).jpg
    File size
    95.05 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Picture 5
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 5 of 9, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jasa1063 wrote on 2020-08-27, 02:39:

Here are 3 more images to see that helps.

Wow great ! Those should help ID the board. Thank you ! Have old man chores to do but will do some searching and see what comes up.

Reply 8 of 9, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jakethompson1 wrote on 2020-08-27, 04:22:

It appears LAZER-TRON made arcade or slot machines. Any interesting story about how you came across this board? I wonder if it did come out of such an embedded device.

No, just got it off of eBay. I got it booting with a Pentium Overdrive PODP5V83 CPU and 2GB Compact Flash card. Seems to be working Ok. I figured out most of the Front Panel connectors, except the HD LED, but that is no big deal. Luckily the jumper settings are printed on the board itself. I will keep digging on my end, but there are no listings for a Mecer B887 on stason.org or TH99 that I can find. It may very well be an embedded motherboard, but at least I have it working. Here is link I got if from on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ST-486-Motherboard-B … 872.m2749.l2649

The seller's name is arcadepcbs, so I think that nails the case that it came out of an arcade machine. Thanks for helping me figure a good bit of this out!

Reply 9 of 9, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I originally got this board to use with a Pentium Overdrive 83MHz. Since this came out of an arcade machine and there is no documentation on the jumper settings for the CPU, I just decided to put the board aside for awhile. I ended up getting a LS-486E Rev C1 motherboard for the Pentium Overdrive 83MHz. I have been waiting to find a decent AT computer case at a reasonable price so I could make use of the board. I finally found one on eBay for $25 with a CD-ROM and 3.5" floppy drive included. I swapped the Cyrix 486DX2/66 for a Cyrix 486DX2/80. I installed 32MB of 60ns FPM, 2GB CF card with a CF to IDE adapter, SB 16 sound card, 3Com Etherlink III network card, and 2.25MB ET6000 PCI video card. I am using DOS 6.22 with Windows 3.11. It's been running solid for a few days. Initial builds don't always work out for what you originally intended. I am just glad to finally be able to put it to good use the 2nd time around.