Hi, I had a cheap UPS (or "USV" as it's called in German) once. It came in a plastic case and worked fine for a long time.
Until it went crazy and didn't charge anymore. It continued beeping until the battery was drained. However, it never damaged my stuff.
Personally, I think that an UPS is a fine piece of equipment, if it's a quality model.
A good one in a big metalcase with screws can house high-capacity lead-gel batteries that are long-lived but also can be replaced if necessary..
If you use vintage gear, also make sure the UPS has a serial port.
It can be used to automatically shut down the PC, but also used for diagnostics (battery status, inverter status etc).
From what I remember, Windows NT 3.51/4.00 had UPS support built-in..
Anyway, I would consider keeping the existing filters and protective circuits in place. They shouldn't harm and may help to reduce stress for UPS/PC..
PS: Sorry for my poor English.
Some sentences went out badly,
but I don't know how else to properly express what I want say. 😅
Exit: Lead-gel batteries are more user-friendly than lead-acid batteries, from what I know.
The gel type doesn't "gas out" (right English term?) , doesn't leak and is less sensitive to wrong orientation.
"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel
//My video channel//