VOGONS

First post, by pixel_workbench

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Anyone have experience running Athlon XP cpu on a Via kt133 board? I have an Epox 8kta2 board (Socket A, FSB 200, PC100 sdram, ISA) currently running an Athlon Thunderbird, and that's as far as the board officially supports. But I also have several Palomino, Thoroughbred and Barton processors I'm thinking about trying to run on that board.

I know the slow FSB and RAM will limit the full capability of the faster processors, but it more about using a cooler, less power hungry cpu. The Palomino and Barton are also mobile chips, that should in theory support on the fly multiplier switching.

My Videos | Website
P2 400 unlocked / Asus P3B-F / Voodoo3 3k / MX300 + YMF718

Reply 1 of 7, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If the board will work with the Barton mobile CPUs, you can probably do a socket wire mod to enable the higher multipliers.

May also want to see how high the fsb will work. 133 (266) is a lot better than 100(200).

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 7, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I used a Palomino on an Abit KT7-Raid before and it worked fine. However I can't say what BIOS support is necessary for which core and wether your board provides it.
Thunderbirds run at 1.7/1.75V, Palominos at 1.75V, Thoroughbred A/Bs on 1.5-1.65V. I wouldn't expect damage due to overvoltage on any of those cores.
The board should also be able to at least push 66W CPUs with some overclocking headroom so I don't think the VRM are going to be overloaded.
So since you have the board and the CPUs I'd say go ahead and test it out yourself. 👍
The chipset on this board does not support on the fly multiplier switching with mobile CPUs though.

Reply 3 of 7, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If the board will work with the Barton mobile CPUs, you can probably do a socket wire mod to enable the higher multipliers.

Probably no need to do that. Thoroughbred and Barton CPUs manufactured before week 34 of 2003 were unlocked.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 4 of 7, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-08-30, 18:38:

Probably no need to do that. Thoroughbred and Barton CPUs manufactured before week 34 of 2003 were unlocked.

The problem is the board that will probably provide no higher multiplier than 12.5.
The socket wire mod doesn't unlock the CPU but increases your multipliers so your lowest setting will be interpreted by the CPU as 13x(?). It does nothing on locked CPUs.
It's basically the same as adding BF1 on Socket5 boards by bridging the corresponding pins to unlock 2.5x and 3x multipliers.

Reply 5 of 7, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Different board, same chipset, so perhaps you will be as lucky. https://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthrea … g-at-2-3GHz-now!

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 6 of 7, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Doornkaat wrote on 2020-08-30, 21:48:
The problem is the board that will probably provide no higher multiplier than 12.5. The socket wire mod doesn't unlock the CPU b […]
Show full quote
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-08-30, 18:38:

The problem is the board that will probably provide no higher multiplier than 12.5.
The socket wire mod doesn't unlock the CPU but increases your multipliers so your lowest setting will be interpreted by the CPU as 13x(?). It does nothing on locked CPUs.
It's basically the same as adding BF1 on Socket5 boards by bridging the corresponding pins to unlock 2.5x and 3x multipliers.

There are different wire mods to enable different multipliers.

I have my KT7A running a Barton Mobile 2800+ at 2.3Ghz. I think I am limited by the board as it seems like the CPU would do more.

Here are the pages that explain everything. I bookmarked them quite a while ago because it is a huge pain to find them.
http://fab51.com/cpu/barton/athlon-e20.html
http://www.emboss.co.nz/amdmults/

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 7, by BlackAce

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have this exact board with a Barton 3000+. The neat thing about this board is with the higher processors it actually interprets the higher athlon XPs multiplier by adding onto it somehow. Mine ends up at 20x. So mine runs at 100Mhz x 20 = 2Ghz! Just under the rated speed of the processor, just at the 100mhz bus. It says "unknown processor" but runs fine.