Rank

Hi Everyone,

Quick System summary
CPU: AMD K6-III AHX 400Mhz
Mobo:Gigabyte GA-5AX Rev 4 (4.1 Maybe?)
RAM:256MB PC-100
Video Card: Geforce 2 MX AGP
HDD:20GB Quantum Fireball LM2 Plus

I'd built my system back in 99-2000, and as much as i would've loved to get a Solid state drive, they were very expensive back then for such a small capacity.
Has anyone had much joy with using an SSD with such a system?
I'd only recently thought about it again as they've gotten much cheaper, even for 120 GB drives.
I'm also aware of the limitations of using an IDE to SATA adapter on SSDs, and that they don't yield much benefit on the SS7 platform with its integrated ATA-66 controller, but i'm also looking at getting a PCI 2.2 SATA controller to use instead of the onboard controller, Would this help get more out of an SSD on this platform?
Would Windows 98 SE have any issue with this?

Lastly, how about PCI USB controllers, has anyone had any luck using these on SS7? Only having 2 ports on my motherboard is a bit annoying especially when they're both used for Keyboard and Mouse, and having a few more would be useful.

Any help would be great. Thank you.

Last edited by CodeFuApprentice on 2020-08-31, 12:18. Edited 1 time in total.

AMD K6-3 400 | Gigabyte GA-5AX R4.1 | 256MB PC-100 | 20GB Quantum Fireball LMPlus | Windows 98 SE
*Alternating between: Geforce 2 MX AGP or 3DFX Voodoo 5 5500 AGP. *Sound Blaster AWE-32 CT2760 or Turtle Beach Santa Cruz w/ Yamaha DB50XG.

Reply 1 of 4, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm aware of the limitations of using an IDE to SATA adapter on SSDs don't yield much benefit on the SS7 platform

Lol no. SSD low access time and read/write speed of small files is very noticeable even on S7 system without UDMA33.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 4, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CodeFuApprentice wrote on 2020-08-31, 11:50:
Hi Everyone, […]
Show full quote

Hi Everyone,

Quick System summary
CPU: AMD K6-III AHX 400Mhz
Mobo:Gigabyte GA-5AX Rev 4 (4.1 Maybe?)
RAM:256MB PC-100
Video Card: Geforce 2 MX AGP
HDD:20GB Quantum Fireball LM2 Plus

Lastly, how about PCI USB controllers, has anyone had any luck using these on SS7? Only having 2 ports on my motherboard is a bit annoying especially when they're both used for Keyboard and Mouse, and having a few more would be useful.
Any help would be great. Thank you.

In an Asus P5A system (Aladdin V) here I have one of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Q-Tec-5-x-USB-2-0- … z8AAOSw0INbk6Pl

I only use it with USB sticks so I don't know how it performs with other hardware.

Reply 3 of 4, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On my S7 systems I'm using Promise IDE cards with IDE to SATA adapters and SSDs. Finding a USB 2.0 card that will work won't be a problem, but there can be a performance hit: Slow AMD K6-2+ 550 MHz performance?

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 4 of 4, by CodeFuApprentice

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks everyone. I haven't completely disregarded those IDE to SATA adapters for an SSD, only that i wanted to see what could get the most out of this old machine.
I'll certainly consider one of those USB cards.

AMD K6-3 400 | Gigabyte GA-5AX R4.1 | 256MB PC-100 | 20GB Quantum Fireball LMPlus | Windows 98 SE
*Alternating between: Geforce 2 MX AGP or 3DFX Voodoo 5 5500 AGP. *Sound Blaster AWE-32 CT2760 or Turtle Beach Santa Cruz w/ Yamaha DB50XG.