VOGONS

First post, by solidus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So.. I have my main office in my house that I use for work, music production and modern gaming. I am looking to build my self a separate area with a workbench and desk in order to use my older computers, mess with hardware, do soldering on electronics, etc. The problem is the only place left to take over with my junk if I want to keep peace with my wife is the garage 😀 I have plenty of space there, but I am concerned about the elements. It is not heated, or cooled.. and Im sure the humidity fluctuates wildly throughout the seasons (I am in NY). It is directly connected to my home though, so its not standalone like a shed. I assume this helps a bit with heat/cold retention... Would you be concerned with having this sort of stuff unprotected in a garage computer lab? Would a large dehumidifier maybe help? Am I just asking for corrosion and destruction of my collection if I go this route? Im looking for any advice on the topic. Thanks!

Last edited by solidus on 2020-08-31, 16:34. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 23, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The computers are going to be fine but what about you?
I couldn't work in a cold garage. Exactly how cold are we talking about? 50 F° or less?
I need at least 64 F° to feel okay especially when I'm sitting and soldering.
What about dust? Is this a clean, airtight garage or a metal shed with a bunch of dirty garden tools?

Reply 2 of 23, by solidus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Miphee wrote on 2020-08-31, 16:55:
The computers are going to be fine but what about you? I couldn't work in a cold garage. Exactly how cold are we talking about? […]
Show full quote

The computers are going to be fine but what about you?
I couldn't work in a cold garage. Exactly how cold are we talking about? 50 F° or less?
I need at least 64 F° to feel okay especially when I'm sitting and soldering.
What about dust? Is this a clean, airtight garage or a metal shed with a bunch of dirty garden tools?

😀 Well yea thats a good point. So right now its just a storage garage. I just have boxes of my stuff. The plan is to tidy it up and get it clean. Its definitely not a garden shed, but its also not a dust free environment. As far a temps go... its basically a part of my house so although there are no baseboard heaters in the garage itself.. I could easily leave the door open that connects to the house and it would warm up as the house does in the winter. Also I could always add a space heater if it got brutal.. but winters have been pretty mild here lately so I dont know how much I would need it. I think the dust concern is definitely a problem... but would improve once I spend the time to clean it up. The dirtiest thing in there is my lawnmower at thing point.. but besides that its just a bunch of cardboard boxes, plastic bins, etc

Reply 3 of 23, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

QUIT ! ...while you can.
I wanted to turn my garage into a computer repair work area too but now i just have it filled up with old computers and components.
I have a really nice computer work bench from year 2000 that I was planing on using but now it is covered with boxes.
I have no more room in my garage for anything.

If you are going to collect stuff you better have a very large storage area first.
With racks and work bench.

Reply 4 of 23, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not the same climate exactly as I’m in the UK Midlands, but I use the garage as my work area for soldering and tinkering. Like yourself it’s not heated, but I do run my server farm in there which generates some heat, as well as I ensured that I draft-excluded the doors so it retains heat OK.

I don’t store much in the way of retro computer stuff in the garage though, just in case it’s a touch damp for it.

retro-garage.jpg

Reply 5 of 23, by solidus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-08-31, 17:59:
QUIT ! ...while you can. I wanted to turn my garage into a computer repair work area too but now i just have it filled up with […]
Show full quote

QUIT ! ...while you can.
I wanted to turn my garage into a computer repair work area too but now i just have it filled up with old computers and components.
I have a really nice computer work bench from year 2000 that I was planing on using but now it is covered with boxes.
I have no more room in my garage for anything.

If you are going to collect stuff you better have a very large storage area first.
With racks and work bench.

😀 Yeah I can see how it gets out of hand. But I collect video games as well and I have very strict collecting rules that help me keep it under control.. its worked so far but we shall see. I try to only hold on to stuff that bring me joy to own and use. I avoid buying things just because they are cheap or free. If I do happen to come across a crazy deal I always use it for trade/sale bait to get something I truly want

Reply 6 of 23, by solidus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
paradigital wrote on 2020-08-31, 18:09:
Not the same climate exactly as I’m in the UK Midlands, but I use the garage as my work area for soldering and tinkering. Like […]
Show full quote

Not the same climate exactly as I’m in the UK Midlands, but I use the garage as my work area for soldering and tinkering. Like yourself it’s not heated, but I do run my server farm in there which generates some heat, as well as I ensured that I draft-excluded the doors so it retains heat OK.

I don’t store much in the way of retro computer stuff in the garage though, just in case it’s a touch damp for it.

retro-garage.jpg

Cool setup!

Yeah the moisture does concern me. I live very close to the ocean so when the humid summers come... they hit hard. I could get a big dehumidifier and keep a hygrometer there to monitor the levels I guess

Reply 7 of 23, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I like to keep my soldering area separate from everything else. It's a dirty area that I don't want to be in constant physical contact with unless I'm actually soldering something. When I'm done I wash up and move to a more sanitary area.
I cleaned it about a week ago so it looks relatively nice right now, but I'm sure there's still plenty of lead and flux residue scattered around.

For storage, I got a heat sealer recently and have started sealing parts inside shielded bags. To minimize the bulk of "sensitive" electronics, I've been removing brackets from expansion cards and stacking those up to be stored separately. I'll have to reassemble them later. Maybe I'll regret that, I don't know.
I'm doing it for an upcoming move, but I'm sure a lot of things will end up staying sealed for a very long time.
If you seal something in a reasonable environment, then I presume that should solve the humidity concern as long as it stays sealed.

Reply 9 of 23, by gex85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have most of my retro computing stuff, including a workbench, in our compartment in the basement (we live in an apartment building from 1904). The main concerns are the same as yours:
- Temperature: 20°C/68°F during summer, which is really OK. 12°C/54°F during winter, which is too cold for most retro computing activities, but a small and cheap fan heater does help a lot.
- Humidity: This is an issue. I have installed a combined temperature/humidity sensor that pushes its readings to a database for close monitoring and it shows that during summertime, humidity is around 85-90% most of the time and rarely falls below 70% in winter. I tried a dehumidifier (180W) and while it does work, it basically needs to run 24/7 to keep the humidity on an acceptable level. Electricity is expensive over here, and the bill would skyrocket if I would leave it running all the time, so this was not an option. Plus, it doesn't work well in winter (or not at all during cold periods). I consider this environment too humid, but I really don't have any other options so I store my components in plastic bags and boxes to protect them as good as possible.
- Dust: Again, use plastic boxes. I use my basement as a general-purpose workshop, so from time to time I do woodworking etc., and I have to be careful not to cover any computer parts in dust when I do so. But it's not much of an issue if you pay attention and store things safely.

My retro computers

Reply 10 of 23, by solidus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
shamino wrote on 2020-09-01, 04:52:
I like to keep my soldering area separate from everything else. It's a dirty area that I don't want to be in constant physical […]
Show full quote

I like to keep my soldering area separate from everything else. It's a dirty area that I don't want to be in constant physical contact with unless I'm actually soldering something. When I'm done I wash up and move to a more sanitary area.
I cleaned it about a week ago so it looks relatively nice right now, but I'm sure there's still plenty of lead and flux residue scattered around.

For storage, I got a heat sealer recently and have started sealing parts inside shielded bags. To minimize the bulk of "sensitive" electronics, I've been removing brackets from expansion cards and stacking those up to be stored separately. I'll have to reassemble them later. Maybe I'll regret that, I don't know.
I'm doing it for an upcoming move, but I'm sure a lot of things will end up staying sealed for a very long time.
If you seal something in a reasonable environment, then I presume that should solve the humidity concern as long as it stays sealed.

Yeah keeping the workbench separate from the computer desk is a good idea.. I will likely do that. Funny you mention the bags, as I just got an ebay delivery with a huge assorted pack of anti static bags off all size.. from small ram size to full ATX mobo size. I plan to keep everything bagged and labeled

Reply 11 of 23, by solidus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gex85 wrote on 2020-09-01, 14:22:
I have most of my retro computing stuff, including a workbench, in our compartment in the basement (we live in an apartment buil […]
Show full quote

I have most of my retro computing stuff, including a workbench, in our compartment in the basement (we live in an apartment building from 1904). The main concerns are the same as yours:
- Temperature: 20°C/68°F during summer, which is really OK. 12°C/54°F during winter, which is too cold for most retro computing activities, but a small and cheap fan heater does help a lot.
- Humidity: This is an issue. I have installed a combined temperature/humidity sensor that pushes its readings to a database for close monitoring and it shows that during summertime, humidity is around 85-90% most of the time and rarely falls below 70% in winter. I tried a dehumidifier (180W) and while it does work, it basically needs to run 24/7 to keep the humidity on an acceptable level. Electricity is expensive over here, and the bill would skyrocket if I would leave it running all the time, so this was not an option. Plus, it doesn't work well in winter (or not at all during cold periods). I consider this environment too humid, but I really don't have any other options so I store my components in plastic bags and boxes to protect them as good as possible.
- Dust: Again, use plastic boxes. I use my basement as a general-purpose workshop, so from time to time I do woodworking etc., and I have to be careful not to cover any computer parts in dust when I do so. But it's not much of an issue if you pay attention and store things safely.

Thanks a lot of the tips. Your area sounds very similar to what mine will be. After all its my garage. If I ever have to saw a piece of wood, or work on something Ill have to do it there. I will definitely be conscious of dust and everything else

Reply 12 of 23, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
paradigital wrote on 2020-08-31, 18:09:
Not the same climate exactly as I’m in the UK Midlands, but I use the garage as my work area for soldering and tinkering. Like […]
Show full quote

retro-garage.jpg

Nice layout ! Wish mine was that clean. Is the floppy drive in the tower mounted upside down ? Never seen one with eject button on top 😀
Ohh my bad ! You have the case flipped left.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 13 of 23, by hwh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It really depends on how your garage is used, what the scale of it is, the airflow, that kind of thing. In some garages everything gets caked with dirt in a few months. Humidity is probably not a big deal as long as there is airflow.

Beware of mildew in humid environments that don't get ventilation. Over years, obviously, it leads to rust.

Personally I would rather not, but it does kind of depend on the garage and how well it's sealed to the elements. It might be an ideal spot. Storage is important; the more you can cover or store things, the less the conditions affect your equipment.

Maybe this is not the right way to look at it. Do you have a better place to realistically keep things/do what you're doing? If not, figure out that storage provision, ensure some airflow, and don't worry about the rest...

To minimize the bulk of "sensitive" electronics, I've been removing brackets from expansion cards and stacking those up to be stored separately. I'll have to reassemble them later. Maybe I'll regret that, I don't know.

How would you keep track of them? Maybe it's better to unbolt them and put the brackets in with the card.

Reply 14 of 23, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
hwh wrote on 2020-09-02, 09:25:

To minimize the bulk of "sensitive" electronics, I've been removing brackets from expansion cards and stacking those up to be stored separately. I'll have to reassemble them later. Maybe I'll regret that, I don't know.

How would you keep track of them? Maybe it's better to unbolt them and put the brackets in with the card.

I printed some asset tags. One on the bracket, one on the card, one on the bag the card is in.
In theory, my intention has always been to set up a database of parts using those asset tags as the key. I've never done that though, all I have is a less than complete text file listing.
For now at least it will serve to match up brackets and cards.

Detaching the brackets but leaving them with the card would be a good compromise, but I'm trying to aggressively minimize the bulk as much as possible.
I've made an exception for a few valuable cards that I don't want to screw around with, or where the bracket isn't easy to remove.

I'm imagining a nightmare scenario where I lose all my brackets. 😀

Reply 15 of 23, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

hmm I store my cards upright in boxes atm, and since they don't all have the same length the brackets overlap each other nicely anyways, I can get them pretty densely packed together.

Reply 16 of 23, by solidus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
hwh wrote on 2020-09-02, 09:25:
It really depends on how your garage is used, what the scale of it is, the airflow, that kind of thing. In some garages everythi […]
Show full quote

It really depends on how your garage is used, what the scale of it is, the airflow, that kind of thing. In some garages everything gets caked with dirt in a few months. Humidity is probably not a big deal as long as there is airflow.

Beware of mildew in humid environments that don't get ventilation. Over years, obviously, it leads to rust.

Personally I would rather not, but it does kind of depend on the garage and how well it's sealed to the elements. It might be an ideal spot. Storage is important; the more you can cover or store things, the less the conditions affect your equipment.

Maybe this is not the right way to look at it. Do you have a better place to realistically keep things/do what you're doing? If not, figure out that storage provision, ensure some airflow, and don't worry about the rest...

Ive been thinking the same.. Im not picking the garage because its ideal.. Im picking it because its the garage, or nothing 😀 I already have a whole room dedicated to my my more modern work/play dual monitor PC setup as well as my music gear.. and theres not much more space in there for additional computers. The 2nd spare bedroom we have is currently a guest room and will one day be a kids room when we produce one.. so thats out. Our downstairs is one large living space and not really ideal for a computer lab type setup. The garage is the only place I can keep my collection out for use realistically. I think the airflow is good. Its a 2 car garage with a window as well as a door to go into my house. With the window open and the large doors cracked a bit I imagine theres plenty of fresh air. The setup plan is to have a small workbench type desk on one side to do all sorts of electronic work.. and then a more office like desk setup nearby to have a few PCs and CRTs. All the spares will be kept in anti static bags, inside of plastic storage bins nearby.

Reply 17 of 23, by gex85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
solidus wrote on 2020-09-02, 14:27:

[...]The garage is the only place I can keep my collection out for use realistically. I think the airflow is good. Its a 2 car garage with a window as well as a door to go into my house. With the window open and the large doors cracked a bit I imagine theres plenty of fresh air. The setup plan is to have a small workbench type desk on one side to do all sorts of electronic work.. and then a more office like desk setup nearby to have a few PCs and CRTs. All the spares will be kept in anti static bags, inside of plastic storage bins nearby.

Well, then go for it! Have you thought about slight constructional improvements to the garage? Like adding insulating panels to the walls, ceiling, floor and doors and maybe covering them with OSB panels?

My retro computers

Reply 18 of 23, by solidus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gex85 wrote on 2020-09-02, 15:07:
solidus wrote on 2020-09-02, 14:27:

[...]The garage is the only place I can keep my collection out for use realistically. I think the airflow is good. Its a 2 car garage with a window as well as a door to go into my house. With the window open and the large doors cracked a bit I imagine theres plenty of fresh air. The setup plan is to have a small workbench type desk on one side to do all sorts of electronic work.. and then a more office like desk setup nearby to have a few PCs and CRTs. All the spares will be kept in anti static bags, inside of plastic storage bins nearby.

Well, then go for it! Have you thought about slight constructional improvements to the garage? Like adding insulating panels to the walls, ceiling, floor and doors and maybe covering them with OSB panels?

I have, although nothing specific yet. Right now I am working on moving alot of the junk into my attic to just generally keep the garage clean. Once thats done ill do a big cleaning since there is a lot of dust/dirt right now. I am in the middle of renovating the downstairs area so the garage is full of drywall/wood dust right now. Once renovation is done I plan to do a white glove cleaning of the entire garage 😀 Any advice on ways to improve the space to accommodate a computing environment would be appreciated.

Reply 19 of 23, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If that's all you got then that's all you got!
I've got hardware that was stored in my parent's garage in Australia for 10+ years. Know it gets hot and enough humidity for a bit of surface rust to develop. plus general dust and dirt from dard working on his motorbikes, yet most hardware survived fine in simple cardboard boxes.

Likewise Here in the UK have a lot of stuff in an industrial lockup. Place was huge so plenty of airflow but would have definitely dropped below 0c during winter nights. Thats all now in a stand alone garage wit bad airflow (getting mold on other items) again hardware still works.

In the end your tolerances are alot less then hardware. so anything you can stand it'll do fine 😉

oh and if your thinking about a space heater then that's the perfect excuse to have a P4 or even better an old server running 😉