VOGONS

Reply 20 of 23, by hwh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh, and watch out for insects. Spiders, silverfish, and uglier things enjoy moving into electronic equipment. If you can, don't store things on the floor.
I'm sure you knew that though. Just throwing it out there.

Reply 21 of 23, by solidus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2020-09-03, 10:01:
If that's all you got then that's all you got! I've got hardware that was stored in my parent's garage in Australia for 10+ year […]
Show full quote

If that's all you got then that's all you got!
I've got hardware that was stored in my parent's garage in Australia for 10+ years. Know it gets hot and enough humidity for a bit of surface rust to develop. plus general dust and dirt from dard working on his motorbikes, yet most hardware survived fine in simple cardboard boxes.

Likewise Here in the UK have a lot of stuff in an industrial lockup. Place was huge so plenty of airflow but would have definitely dropped below 0c during winter nights. Thats all now in a stand alone garage wit bad airflow (getting mold on other items) again hardware still works.

In the end your tolerances are alot less then hardware. so anything you can stand it'll do fine 😉

oh and if your thinking about a space heater then that's the perfect excuse to have a P4 or even better an old server running 😉

ohh server heater!! good idea 😀

Reply 22 of 23, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't keep any computer stuff in my garage, as the temperature and humidity swings get crazy in Michigan. I can't remember when it was, maybe two winters ago it went from -15F all the way up to 55F or 60F and back down to 5F all within a few days. I actually had solder joints in my garage door opener break from it and I had to resolder a relay back on. That would definitely ruin old BGA's that are already aged and heat cycled. (I have an attached garage too)

Instead, my main storage is in the basement on Gorilla racks (climate controlled + dehumidifier) and I work on stuff in a spare bedroom that I made my computer room.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 23 of 23, by solidus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wiretap wrote on 2020-09-04, 02:25:

I don't keep any computer stuff in my garage, as the temperature and humidity swings get crazy in Michigan. I can't remember when it was, maybe two winters ago it went from -15F all the way up to 55F or 60F and back down to 5F all within a few days. I actually had solder joints in my garage door opener break from it and I had to resolder a relay back on. That would definitely ruin old BGA's that are already aged and heat cycled. (I have an attached garage too)

Instead, my main storage is in the basement on Gorilla racks (climate controlled + dehumidifier) and I work on stuff in a spare bedroom that I made my computer room.

This is exactly my concern. I do have the option to store things somewhere else.. but I just dont have room for a nice big desk space anywhere else. So I would have to have most of the running machines in there. Im going to take some temp/humidity readings and see what its looking like