VOGONS

Gateway roadside rust bucket.

Topic actions

First post, by TimWolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Found a Gateway P5-200 in a trash heap a few weekends ago. Have been working to resurrect it. This post will be the chronicle of the endeavor. Posted some of this on FB but wanted a more permanent log.

Enjoy, if this tickles you like it does for me.
TW

Attachments

Reply 2 of 37, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice Evergreen Spectra. Those upgrades are fetching some money these days. Is it a 333 or 400?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 3 of 37, by TimWolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2020-09-01, 05:55:

Nice Evergreen Spectra. Those upgrades are fetching some money these days. Is it a 333 or 400?

333. How hard would it be to convert to 400 I wonder? I'm looking it over and I'm not sure if it prys up or is soldered on.

Reply 5 of 37, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The CPU should be in a LIF socket, and there should be a bunch of DIP switches to control the voltage and frequency. The 333 and 400 both used the same interposer.
It's a pretty nice upgrade that goes really far in the early socket5 systems. I recommend swapping in a K6+ with internal cache.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 8 of 37, by Dragon Caesar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Very nice find! I also have a Spectra upgrade in my Gateway. I swapped out the K6-2 with a K6-3+ and it wasn't too difficult. Just take your time with removing the processor from the interposer and make sure the voltage jumpers are set right.

Reply 9 of 37, by TimWolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dragon Caesar wrote on 2020-09-01, 23:02:

Very nice find! I also have a Spectra upgrade in my Gateway. I swapped out the K6-2 with a K6-3+ and it wasn't too difficult. Just take your time with removing the processor from the interposer and make sure the voltage jumpers are set right.

Wow, didn't know it could take a 3+

I have two of the 450mhz K6-III+ units. May have to try this out.

Thanks!

Reply 10 of 37, by TimWolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The unit was "farm fresh" upon opening. Lots and lots of dirt and rust.

Attachments

Reply 11 of 37, by TimWolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Power supply looked very rough.

Attachments

Reply 12 of 37, by TimWolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Inside the PSU.

Attachments

Reply 13 of 37, by TimWolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

More pictures inside the PSU.

Attachments

Reply 14 of 37, by TimWolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bath time for the PSU. Lots of scrubbing. Extensive pitting. Will probably paint this, and replace the decals.

Attachments

Last edited by TimWolf on 2020-09-02, 17:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 15 of 37, by TimWolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Removed the rusted transformer and rebuilt it. Required lots of rust removal, and then sealed the clean metals with clear nail enamel, and rebuilt. Replaced the fuse holders. Put new thermal paste between the heat shields. Replaced the regulator screws as needed.

Attachments

Reply 17 of 37, by TimWolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

PSU is now tested and confirmed working. Now that it is confirmed working, I will probably replace the caps.

Attachments

Reply 18 of 37, by TimWolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The board needed a good cleaning, and all the rusty items removed.

Attachments

Reply 19 of 37, by TimWolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The motherboard cleaned up well. I need some new, less roached out i/o ports so I've used this donor board that a homeless guy gave me in exchange for giving him a ride to a convenience store. Yes, a homeless guy in a tarp tent. He had a bunch of electronics, and motherboards all over. Said he was using them to make a travel device so he could see his kids again. Most of what he gave me was in trash condition, but I did get a Banshee that was good, but that is another topic.

Attachments