VOGONS

First post, by vutt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

While I have been happily using my P3 sytem with dirt cheap 650E/100FSB P3 CPU overclocked at 866MHZ for some time I have been thinking about upgrading it. Abusing old hardware by running it hot doesn't feel right.

Step 1:
I stumbled upon cheap 9€ genuine 866Mhz/133FSB offering on ebay. Near top CPU upgrades on any given platform are usually pricey. So it felt too good to be true. So I pulled the trigger because inside EU shipping was also acceptable. It came without heatsink, but very well packaged with conductive foam. WOW.
I bolted literally it on I think it's actually HP server heatsink. I was hoping to run it cooler than my 650E but it didn't. Same upper 55+ C (Case is cooled only by ATX PSU ) Might be something to do with silicon lottery...

866.jpg
Filename
866.jpg
File size
408.91 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Step 2:
Some half year later I made another move because of interesting heatsink design. Little Mhz bump as well as you can see on the picture below.
Of course thermal paste wasnt any more paste. It was yellow an hard as rock. like on this pic Even worse it didn't want to come off...
Q: How do you guys usually remove it?
None of my contact cleaners / Isopropyl alcohol helped me. Ultimately I took old credit card and slowly started to shave it off. It took ages to get it off from CPU. However from sink I gave up caution and went in with metal sponge.
Ok long story short my new genuine 933Mhz/133FSB is running about 5 degrees cooler under full load. Might be something to do with heatsink design. Then again new one is actually 40g lighter.
Another plus with new heatsink is that it fit neatly into standard slot 1 plastic brackets. I only had to remove one small plastic hook at the top. Also that slide in "Backplate" heatsink holder is miles better design than your typical consumer level thin plastic push in H frame.
I was thinking about home brwe DYI wire based custom bracket design for fan. However by end of the day settled on rather brutal, but effective self tapping screws solution. It doesn't have t be pretty but functional. Perfectly in line with 1999/2000 approach 😀

cooler.jpg
Filename
cooler.jpg
File size
348.55 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
sink.jpg
Filename
sink.jpg
File size
380.6 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 1 of 2, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you want to take full advantage of the larger size of the Foxconn 135638-003 C server heatsink you could consider adding a larger fan that covers a larger area. The benefit of this is that the fan can run at a slower pace and is likely considerably more efficient than the small specimen that you chose.

933.JPG
Filename
933.JPG
File size
557.64 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
outside2a.jpg
Filename
outside2a.jpg
File size
173.51 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 2 of 2, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the 2 slot 1 CPUs that I have are a p3 750 with a common coolermaster cooler (similar or the same to this https://images.esellerpro.com/2131/I/528/44/DCP_9722.JPG), and a PII 400 with the Intel cooler, sadly my P2B doesn't present me with any temperature reading for the CPU, but my finger tells me that both are fine with the p3 being a little cooler, I did replace the thermal paste on the P3 once, and I don't remember it being difficult, I assume a different compound than yours was used previously, but one thing that I tend to like doing is to have the CPU warm for the cooler removal... the PII never had work done to the thermal paste, it's running likely whatever came from Intel when new,

are the temperatures values you mention equivalent to the s370 coppermines temp readings? I would assume so, with that I have a 650 and 1100, both with the same cooler (looks like this https://sep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-90432262887525_2272_71150903 ), and the 1100 is likely at least some 5º hotter but under load I still see it under 50º,

but the main problem here is noise... those small fast (4000+) fans are really something, an alternative with a slower 80mm does sound very appealing.