VOGONS

First post, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello, some time ago I bought this card, sold with burnt pin so not tested, when I got it I cleaned it and tried, it proved working despite the burnt pin.
Yesterday I tried it again in 2 different mb and I got the missing video card beeps, then all of the sudden a spark came out from the agp slot, I immediately shut down the psu, there was a some burnt smell coming from the mb (not the video card).
I touched the video chip and it was somewhat hot.
I let the things cool down some minutes and then tried another video card in the agp slot, it worked without issues.
I'm not willing to try the video card in another agp mb, but is there a way to recover the burnt pin? Something like tin it? I also watched the agp pinout but it's not clear what the use of the pin is used for: https://allpinouts.org/pinouts/connectors/buses/agp-bus/

Pictures:

001_cr2.jpg
Filename
001_cr2.jpg
File size
1.61 MiB
Views
File comment
front
File license
Public domain
003_cr2.jpg
Filename
003_cr2.jpg
File size
1.8 MiB
Views
File comment
back
File license
Public domain

Reply 1 of 11, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The component side is b and numbering starts on the left. The burnt pin is B7, which is a clock pin. AFAIK, that should not carry much current, so no idea why it burned.

I strongly suggest you avoid testing potentially damaged and/or damaging hardware on anything other than a sacrificial board . This cheap as chips video card is not worth risking a motherboard, IMHO .

Hopefully somebody more knowledgeable than I am will chime in with some options .
If that does not happen, I suggest you chuck the card to recycling before it claims a victim ( if it hasn't already, that spark did not sound reassuring).

Reply 2 of 11, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I call these hardware trap. It causes a short in other components so the owner sells it as "untested".
Another unfortunate soul buys it, burns out his mainboard with it, then he sells it too to recover some of his losses.
The card starts it's long journey on auction sites and causes a lot of damage. It appears then disappears again only to reappear a few months later.
Just do the right thing, smash it to pieces.

Reply 3 of 11, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I do not know what happened with the previous owners, how the pin burned...
Your advice is wise, that's why I'm not gonna try it anymore since I actually do not have a a sacrificial board or someone have an advise how to fix it.
Spark aside the mb seems work fine, luckily...
Unlucky the card is not that cheap, it is a savage xtreme 32mb, quite rare... :\

Reply 4 of 11, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know it's difficult, I had a CPU-killer mainboard before. It looked perfectly fine but fried the CPU instantly. I couldn't find anything wrong with it so I foolishly tried another CPU with the same results. Desoldered the external connectors and trashed the rest.

Reply 5 of 11, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well for sure i'm not going to sold it, but your story about the motherboard made me think there could be a short on the card, I will check with multimeter, while waiting for advices, eventually I will throw it...

Reply 6 of 11, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is strange. The burnt part is the one that doesn't carry any current when the card is properly inserted (pins in the AGP socket are staggered, and only contact the golden fingers in the area where they are wider). You don't need to repair anything, just gently scrape away the burnt parts in the eventuality that they become conductive.

How the initial damage might have happened is beyond me. Maybe improper insertion, or being mis-aligned in an universal AGP Pro slot, since the card doesn't seem to have the "wing"/registration key at the end of the connector.

I would certainly not toss the card, but wouldn't test it on a valuable motherboard either. Also carefully inspect the contacts inside the AGP slot on the board that sparked, as any damage could turn it into a "hardware trap" and the cycle will go on.

Reply 7 of 11, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good catch, the spark came out from a mb with universal agp slot, while the first time I have probably tried it in a agp 2x slot! Also thanks for clarifying that the golden fingers are the area that make contact with the slot.
I also tried the continuity tester and apparently there is no short, also the burnt part isn't conductive.
What can I use to scrape away the burnt part?

About the mb with the spark I tried the system with another sacrificable video card and it worked fine, should I try to inspect the agp slot with a magnifier?

Reply 8 of 11, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was referring to the initial damage (from the previous owner), maybe it was mis-aligned in an AGP-Pro slot. The standard (non-Pro) slot doesn't really allow this to happen.

The burnt stuff can be removed by carefully scraping with the tip of a very sharp blade.

Slot should be inspected, check for burn marks and if all the contacts retained their "springiness". Magnifying glass and good lighting help a lot.

Reply 9 of 11, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got it.
I inspected the agp slot, it seems in good shape, no tracks of burns, is it right?

Edit: I tried the card in a 440bx system and it boots fine... so what? I'm perplexed...

Attachments

Reply 10 of 11, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Are you sure it's a burnt spot and not some sort of physical damage? I've had cards look like that when the seller shoves multiple cards in a box with little to no packing materials

Reply 11 of 11, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't know how flaky the pin material is (difficult to really see well from the pic), but you wouldn't want the contact material to let go of the contact to short some other part of your rig.
I'd agree with the mention to remove the pin material as to at least have it not cause any more future potential disasters this way.

I wouldn't throw out the card but I would definitely (clearly) label it!

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!