VOGONS

First post, by SodaSuccubus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is there really any point to it with a modern CF card and fast enough PIO mode? Iv run memtest on my DX4 rig and after stuffing SmartDRV and my other drivers into memory, it eats a whole 3 mbs out of my 16. Leaving me with only 13mbs free visible to programs. I can tell you right now that when i comment out SmartDRV from memmaker's optimizations, im only loosing maybe a meg if that for the rest of my drivers.

I see a lot of games mention needing 16mbs or else they create a swapfile. So did they just expect people by default to just not load smartDRV?

Would there be any performance difference on a SmartDRV, 13meg available system VS a SmartDRV-less full 16meg machine?

Reply 1 of 1, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can tell SMARTDRV how much RAM to use. When you have 16MB then it will use 2MB by default, but you could drop to 1MB by doing SMARTDRV 1024

Or you could just leave it out of AUTOEXEC.BAT, and only run it manually when you need it.

When I used to install Win 3.x or Win 9x on a system with plenty of memory, I would make a huge cache so the install went faster. Like SMARTDRV 16000

again another retro game on itch: https://90soft90.itch.io/shmup-salad