VOGONS

First post, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a computer with a MSI KM2M Combo-L motherboard in it and I decided to upgrade the original 1.3GHz Duron to an Athlon XP 2400+ I had laying around. I was pleasantly surprised that the computer booted first try after installing the CPU, but something was wrong. In both the BIOS and in Windows (via CPU-Z and HWINFO32) the CPU is identified instead as an Athlon XP 1800+, but it's...clearly not, as it has "2400" as part of the model string on the chip itself. What's going on here? The only thing I can think of is some kind of BIOS/chipset weirdness.

Reply 1 of 4, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did you remember to change the bus speed from 100 MHz to 133? That would explain it. I've seen that happen where a CPU was run underclocked for years because someone left the bus set at 100 MHz.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 3 of 4, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's probably a jumper on the motherboard.
Many Athlon boards have both a jumper and also some bus overclocking options in the BIOS. On such boards typically the jumper will implicitly set the bus dividers, so on those kinds of boards it's important to make sure the jumper is set correctly and not just to change it in the BIOS.

Reply 4 of 4, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, it turned out to be a jumper. Once I found said jumper, no more issues!

IMG_20200909_001118.jpg

With an Athlon XP 2400+ and 512MB of DDR this thing is gonna fly running 9x games once I get a proper video card put in it.