VOGONS

First post, by Falcon_H

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

Long ago, I bought a VIC-20 at an antique store for just $20. I was thrilled to have found it, but when I tested it out I found that it wouldn't power on. Eventually, I figured out that some of the capacitors (c39 and c44) had leaked and the acid had destroyed some of the motherboard traces. One of the traces is really large, so I doubt conductive ink would fix it. I was thinking of soldering some wire to bridge over the destroyed part of the trace. Here are some pictures of the motherboard traces. Do you guys think I have at chance at fixing this, or should I start looking for another motherboard?

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• IMG_1225.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_1225.JPG
    File size
    83.84 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG_1226.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_1226.JPG
    File size
    57.93 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 1 of 13, by Falcon_H

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here's some pictures of the other side of the motherboard:

Attachments

• IMG_1228.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_1228.JPG
    File size
    49.3 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_1227.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_1227.JPG
    File size
    73.61 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 2 of 13, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes you would have to bridge it with wire if it is totally corroded away. Have you scraped the paint off that big trace to see how bad the damage is ? Some times it is just the paint that is damaged and not the trace itself. You will need to replace those bad caps......
Scrape the paint off and show us another picture....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3 of 13, by Falcon_H

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When I scraped the paint and corrosion off the top I was really surprised how much copper was left ! I had assumed that the trace was completely gone, but it looks like there's enough of it left that it might work. There are still some dark spots left (I think it's just a stain on the copper) that I wasn't able to get off, as I didn't want to go too crazy and end up damaging it further. I dabbed the corroded areas with some vinegar to try and neutralize the corrosion after the traces were scraped. I went ahead and ordered some new capacitors. Hopefully it ends up working!

Attachments

Reply 4 of 13, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Falcon_H wrote on 2020-09-10, 17:45:

When I scraped the paint and corrosion off the top I was really surprised how much copper was left ! I had assumed that the trace was completely gone, but it looks like there's enough of it left that it might work. There are still some dark spots left (I think it's just a stain on the copper) that I wasn't able to get off, as I didn't want to go too crazy and end up damaging it further. I dabbed the corroded areas with some vinegar to try and neutralize the corrosion after the traces were scraped. I went ahead and ordered some new capacitors. Hopefully it ends up working!

This is not bad damage, have see much much worse form leaks. Don't throw it out! hope the new caps work for you

Reply 5 of 13, by Falcon_H

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
treeman wrote on 2020-09-11, 09:49:
Falcon_H wrote on 2020-09-10, 17:45:

This is not bad damage, have see much much worse form leaks. Don't throw it out! hope the new caps work for you

I definitely wouldn't throw any old hardware away! Hopefully the new caps will arrive in a few days. I can't wait to try them out!

Reply 6 of 13, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can clean up the corrosion real good with a fiberglass scratch pen, then use UV curable solder mask to paint back over the copper to prevent oxidation. I did that with the Amiga 2000 motherboard I have which had terrible Varta battery leakage. I also fixed some traces with thin copper foil and some very fine gauge solid core wire.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 7 of 13, by Falcon_H

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Today I finally got the capacitors in the mail and I soldered them in and tested the computer this morning. I didn't get any display and the power LED didn't turn on. I know I got the polarity of the capacitors right and I re-seated all of the chips, but still didn't get any display. I'm beginning to suspect the power adapter, but I'm a bit over my head and really don't have any idea what's wrong. I'm hoping to test the power adapter with a multimeter later today.

Reply 10 of 13, by Falcon_H

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found a video explaining how to make a VIC-20 power supply using a transformer and it explained which one to buy. I bought the transformer and the good news is that I got the power light to turn on and something to appear on the screen. The bad news is that the something is garbage. There is also a bit of audio humming. I tried it on both an LCD TV and a slightly older CRT TV. I was using one of those 5 pin DIN to composite cables for both TVs.

Attached are some pictures of the garbage.

Attachments

Reply 11 of 13, by Falcon_H

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I managed to get it to do this for a brief instant a few times.

Attachments

Reply 13 of 13, by Falcon_H

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When I was about to give up hope I finally figured out what the problem was. It turns out the bridge rectifier was bad. Now to get some cartridges!

Attachments