VOGONS

First post, by AST-AUTISMO

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

After a successful CPU upgrade to a Pentium 200, I'm looking at the next thing to boost this old machine's performance: Installation of 1MB of additional video memory. There are two unpopulated sockets on the board .

This upgrade will yield 2MB of video memory and (apparently) allow the Mach 64 to switch to 64-bit mode which will hopefully provide a performance boost. (Maybe wishful thinking though - Duke Nukem 3D at 640x480 runs really badly with the uniVBE driver and the machine locks up as the game starts when ATI's VBE driver is loaded. A similar vintage machine with onboard S3 Trio for example is silky smooth at 640x480 so I'm hoping to replicate that.)

Currently the board has two HY514260B JC-60 modules soldered on. From my research these are 256K x 16-bit FPM modules at 60ns (what i infer from JC-60, but they may be 50ns capable....).

Questions:

Assuming we stick with 256k x 16 chips which is mandatory
- Will EDO modules work interchangeably with the existing FPM modules?
- Will 50ns parts work interchangeably with the existing (i'm guessing) 60ns modules?
- Are there any other specifications to look for in terms of compatibility?
- Are there any brands or specifications to avoid?
- What are the odds this upgrade will speed up the bad VBE performance?

Reply 1 of 5, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AST-AUTISMO wrote on 2020-09-11, 02:40:

- Will EDO modules work interchangeably with the existing FPM modules?

Perhaps, it depends on the timing of the OE signal. Avoid EDO if possible.

- Will 50ns parts work interchangeably with the existing (i'm guessing) 60ns modules?

Very likely yes. If you have two banks that run interleaved on the same data lines (2 banks of 32bit each), you might get problems with very different RAM speeds, but as 50 and 60ns is not very different, and you still should have only one bank of 64 bits, with all data lines separate, I don't expect any problem.

Yes! There are multiple variants on how 16-bit RAMs allow single-byte writes. The chip number you quoted is "DUAL CAS". There also are "DUAL WE" chips. Many graphics chip support both schemes (the BIOS has to choose which one to use), but you can't mix both schemes.

- Are there any brands or specifications to avoid?

Not that I am aware of. It's best to get chips you can at least find a datasheet for, though.

- What are the odds this upgrade will speed up the bad VBE performance?

Expanding the memory bus width can yield a great boost in performance. Use a video benchmark tool to find out whether video write performance actually is extremely low. On a PCI graphics card in a socket 7 system without write combining, I expect around 60MB/s for a decent graphics card.

Reply 2 of 5, by AST-AUTISMO

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mkarcher wrote on 2020-09-11, 05:54:

Yes! There are multiple variants on how 16-bit RAMs allow single-byte writes. The chip number you quoted is "DUAL CAS". There also are "DUAL WE" chips. Many graphics chip support both schemes (the BIOS has to choose which one to use), but you can't mix both schemes.

Thank you for all this. I've found some Mosel chips that seem to fit.

untitled.jpg
Filename
untitled.jpg
File size
100.43 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Dual CAS like you pointed out, FPM and also appear to support both 50 and 60ns timings. From China, but I think I will roll the dice unless there is something I am missing.

Thanks again!

Reply 3 of 5, by AST-AUTISMO

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Quick update:

Found some chips on ebay:
9815F
v53c16256HK50

Installed and work great! (No performance increase in dos games though, which is a bummer... all slots full were supposed to double mem bandwidth)

Reply 5 of 5, by AST-AUTISMO

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kixs wrote on 2020-11-13, 20:07:

Memory bandwidth is increased in Windows and the performance is increased by around 70% - depends on the resolution and colors used.

I suppose that may be true. I was hoping it would also be true in Dos games but since the ones I tried are 640x480 8-bit presumably memory bandwidth wasn't the limitation to begin with.