VOGONS

First post, by Planet-Dune

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello, hope you are all well, I want to make a really great looking DOS/Win98SE PC with a Voodoo2. Now I was thinking of a Pentium 2 as the sweet spot for this setup. I got all the hardware but the problem is the case. I have multiple really beautiful AT cases that just ooze DOS. But as soon as I look at my ATX cases I am like "meh". Those obviously scream "Windows 98" or god forbid "XP"...

Anyone knows if they made cases that looked like DOS machines but were ATX compatible? I added a few examples (of AT cases) of those standing around here.

Attachments

• n1.jpg
    Filename
    n1.jpg
    File size
    82.07 KiB
    Views
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
  • n2.jpg
    Filename
    n2.jpg
    File size
    23.25 KiB
    Views
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
  • n3.jpg
    Filename
    n3.jpg
    File size
    23.3 KiB
    Views
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0

Reply 1 of 5, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well,I don't have pictures of it... But I once had an AT and an ATX case that were identical in height. The AT had a turbo button plus display and all that stuff , the ATX was quite modern looking white/cream with soft power button (athlon xp era), no turbo ofc. Buttons and LEDs were connected too the plastic and made no connection to the skeleton of the case.

I noticed the front of both computers had the same kind of attachment to the skeleton and the upper and lower screws were at the same position. I actually swapped them for about 5 minutes before switching back.

So maybe this could be something to look at?
Not as genuine as you'd like perhaps but it's a nice second best I guess 😀

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 2 of 5, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some cases share the same plastic front, but use a different metal chasis. One is Baby AT and the other is ATX 😀
Some ATX cases also feel like Baby AT cases (large power button, which could easily fit a old clicky button, motherboard on a removable metal tray, etc.). That's probably because they're from the transitional period, so you could build a Baby AT system in it without any problems, even for the power button, but also a pretty normal ATX build.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 3 of 5, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

yeah, though most of those cases I'd describe as "look like an ATX case but fit AT boards" ^^

by the time ATX came around turbo buttons and Mhz displays were already out of fashion.

Reply 4 of 5, by Planet-Dune

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
imi wrote on 2020-09-13, 12:51:

yeah, though most of those cases I'd describe as "look like an ATX case but fit AT boards" ^^

by the time ATX came around turbo buttons and Mhz displays were already out of fashion.

I am looking for the reverse 😀 looks like a AT, fits an atx 😀 Nice big buttons, turbo isn't needed but the mhz display would be nice.. but also just the look, if I look at those 3 dos cases I attached they scream dos and style to me, if i look at my ATX cases they scream blandness 🙁

Reply 5 of 5, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Planet-Dune wrote on 2020-09-13, 12:26:

Hello, hope you are all well, I want to make a really great looking DOS/Win98SE PC with a Voodoo2. Now I was thinking of a Pentium 2 as the sweet spot for this setup. I got all the hardware but the problem is the case. I have multiple really beautiful AT cases that just ooze DOS. But as soon as I look at my ATX cases I am like "meh". Those obviously scream "Windows 98" or god forbid "XP"...

Anyone knows if they made cases that looked like DOS machines but were ATX compatible? I added a few examples (of AT cases) of those standing around here.

I don't know about any specific ATX case which has the front bezels like the 486-era AT cases you're showcasing here.
There are however, of course cases that were manufactured in both AT and ATX versions, like for example the AT case here with an ATX version of this case here.
If the links go missing, just google "Vobis Highscreen" and you should be able to find 2 versions of this case, AT and ATX ones.

Other than that, if you're willing to compromise, there may be some old (probably beige) ATX cases that might still look at least somewhat plausible for a 486 PC?

But afaicr, these are as old as they come when it comes to ATX.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!