VOGONS

First post, by UselessSoftware

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all. I'm trying to build myself something I've been meaning to get around to for a long time. A dual Tualatin P3 1.4 GHz system.

I tried it with an Asus TR-DLSR server board. This one apparently came out of an HP NetServer LP1000r according to the BIOS. The board came with dual 1.26 GHz Tualatins and 2 GB RAM. It's been working well in that configuration, but last night I tried to install dual 1.4's. Didn't go well. It refuses to POST with them. The screen just stays black, despite clearing CMOS and messing with jumpers and DIP switches a bit. I tried to flash the official Asus BIOS over the HP version, but it doesn't have the hooks that the Asus flasher wants to use.

The manual for the board says 1.4 GHz should work, but maybe it's an issue with that HP BIOS. I don't know.

Anyway, I put the 1.26 chips back on for now. I'm trying to figure out what other motherboard would be a good choice here. I can get a good price on an Intel Server Board STL2. These work with 1.4 GHz right? Or is there another better option that's easy to find and not overpriced?

I don't need the absolute best of the best performance, but close to it would be nice.

Opinions?

EDIT: And I want something that will work okay with a dedicated 3D graphics card. My Asus board won't post if I install my FX 5200 or Radeon 9200 PCI cards, and the integrated Rage XL is horrifyingly bad...

Last edited by UselessSoftware on 2020-09-16, 14:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 31, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My file server for many years was based around a HP tc3100 motherboard with dual 1.4 tullys, 4 GB RAM and running Windows Server 2003.

The problem with these server boards of course is that you don't get an AGP slot so they will never be good gaming machines.

ETA: This may be of interest to the OP. After retiring the server mentioned above, I decided to turn it into a gaming system running Windows XP. The specs were:

Cooler Master Stacker 830 case
Enermax Noisetaker EG701AX-VE(W) 600W ATX PSU
2 GB RAM
Sparkle GeForce 8500GT PCI
1 TB HDD on RocketRAID 1820A PCI-X SATA controller
Acer M5271COMBO USB 2.0/FireWire 400 PCI
Creative Sound Blaster Live! Value PCI
3Com 3C996B-T Gigabit Ethernet PCI-X NIC

The reason for the 8-port RocketRAID is that it was part of the old server. Same for the 3Com NIC and PSU. I also reduced the memory from 4 GB to 2 GB to speed boot time. (You can't skip the memory test on this machine.)

That video card runs very hot. Not visible in the picture is a 12 cm fan that I installed over the cards blowing air down onto them. (I have since acquired a beefier PCI card, a Zotac GeForce GT 610, which I may install here someday. It is also passively cooled and runs very hot.)

Attachments

• DSC_0060.JPG
    Filename
    DSC_0060.JPG
    File size
    1.82 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by Errius on 2020-09-25, 09:10. Edited 3 times in total.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 2 of 31, by UselessSoftware

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That sounds like a beast.

Gaming isn't going to be the primary use of this system. Probably a little UT99 or Quake 3 just occasionally so I'm okay with PCI video.

Reply 3 of 31, by limsolo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

Are the CPU's 1.4S (Server versions with the bigger 512k cache) and if they are S-Spec numbers need to be SL657 (stepping tA1) and/or SL6BY (stepping tB1) both should work each other, no other variant is approved for SMP according to the 2007 Intel PIII Specification Update.

BeBox PPC Dual 133, NeXTCube Turbo - Dimension, NeXTStation Turbo Color, SGI Octane R12k x2 MXE Impact, Alienware 15r3 GTX 1080, MacBook Pro Retina 2012, Macintosh Plus, Macintosh Quadra 840av, Macintosh Quadra 650, Wallstreet 500 (G4), Pismo 550 (G4).

Reply 5 of 31, by UselessSoftware

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My Google-Fu must be weak, because I can't find out for sure if the Intel STL2 will work with 1.4-S CPU's but apparently the chipset performance is pretty good.

I'd rather just go the new motherboard route rather than troubleshoot the Asus board, because even if I get it to work, that board only has one PCI slot. And as I said, it doesn't even like dedicated GPUs for some reason.

Last edited by UselessSoftware on 2020-09-16, 15:06. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 31, by limsolo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
UselessSoftware wrote on 2020-09-16, 15:00:

They're both SL6BY chips, I made sure to get those.

Aside from the obvious like try putting the 1.4s into the other socket (so lets say, 1.4 CPU 1 into socket 1, 2 into 2, if it does not post 1 in 2 and 2 in 1), try to insert/remove a couple of times to clean the pins. None of the 1.4's have any broken pin? Not sure on your board, will it run is one of the 1.26's on its own, if it does maybe you can try both the 1.4s?

Have you tried a 1.26 & 1.4 in at the same time, if that doesn't work put the other odd pair in?

BeBox PPC Dual 133, NeXTCube Turbo - Dimension, NeXTStation Turbo Color, SGI Octane R12k x2 MXE Impact, Alienware 15r3 GTX 1080, MacBook Pro Retina 2012, Macintosh Plus, Macintosh Quadra 840av, Macintosh Quadra 650, Wallstreet 500 (G4), Pismo 550 (G4).

Reply 7 of 31, by UselessSoftware

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The Asus needs a terminating adapter in the second slot if only using one CPU, which I don't have, but I will try swapping them between the sockets and reinserting a few times. Pins are all good, I looked them over carefully and they insert easily.

And the manual says the CPUs have to be matching to work, though I considered trying the mix-and-match anyway. Maybe it will just clock them both at the speed of the slowest chip.

Last edited by UselessSoftware on 2020-09-16, 15:11. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 31, by limsolo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
UselessSoftware wrote on 2020-09-16, 15:08:

The Asus needs a terminating adapter in the second slot if only using one CPU, which I don't have, but I will try swapping them between the sockets and reinserting a few times. Pins are all good, I looked them over carefully.

I've heard that sometimes boards will post without the termination card but are flaky when they get to the OS (I guess load) I think is just to damp the signals out a bit, I know that some 440BX boards will run mismatched PIII's fine provided that they are somewhere near (amazing really!)

Reply 9 of 31, by UselessSoftware

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'll try to mess with it some more tonight after work with these suggestions and see what happens, though I'm still going to get a different board ultimately. Heck, maybe I'll end up building TWO dual Tuallys. Why not? 😀

Reply 10 of 31, by limsolo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

😀 the more the merrier, still trying to source suitable slot 1 to 370 adaptors for my P2B-D myself so I can make a dual Tually setup. eBay is dry at the moment...

Reply 12 of 31, by limsolo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
UselessSoftware wrote on 2020-09-16, 15:39:

Do they work well with the adapters? I recall reading of possible issues somewhere, but I can't remember why.

That's a bit of a minefield but yes if you have the right mix of slotkets, VRM's (on the motherboard or slotket or both), and the correct clock generator then they work fine (some slotkets might require a pin modded Tually for example most of the ones that are not Upgradeware slot T or PowerLeap)

Its took me quite a few hours of trawling the web to figure this out but that's what people report from the early 2000's

I am going to run Haiku/BeOS, NeXT's OPENSTEP and Windows 2000 but because BeOS and OPENSTEP were basically (the last releases) around the time of the 440BX then that's what they have driver support for, hence that's why I opted for the P2B-D, a dual-socket 370 would have been easier/cheaper but there is no driver support for the OS's I want to run.

Cheers

Reply 13 of 31, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
UselessSoftware wrote on 2020-09-16, 14:44:
Hi all. I'm trying to build myself something I've been meaning to get around to for a long time. A dual Tualatin P3 1.4 GHz syst […]
Show full quote

Hi all. I'm trying to build myself something I've been meaning to get around to for a long time. A dual Tualatin P3 1.4 GHz system.

I tried it with an Asus TR-DLSR server board. This one apparently came out of an HP NetServer LP1000r according to the BIOS. The board came with dual 1.26 GHz Tualatins and 2 GB RAM. It's been working well in that configuration, but last night I tried to install dual 1.4's. Didn't go well. It refuses to POST with them. The screen just stays black, despite clearing CMOS and messing with jumpers and DIP switches a bit. I tried to flash the official Asus BIOS over the HP version, but it doesn't have the hooks that the Asus flasher wants to use.

The manual for the board says 1.4 GHz should work, but maybe it's an issue with that HP BIOS. I don't know.

Anyway, I put the 1.26 chips back on for now. I'm trying to figure out what other motherboard would be a good choice here. I can get a good price on an Intel Server Board STL2. These work with 1.4 GHz right? Or is there another better option that's easy to find and not overpriced?

I don't need the absolute best of the best performance, but close to it would be nice.

Opinions?

EDIT: And I want something that will work okay with a dedicated 3D graphics card. My Asus board won't post if I install my FX 5200 or Radeon 9200 PCI cards, and the integrated Rage XL is horrifyingly bad...

Are you on the correct HP BIOS revision for processor support? - i see two possible 2002 FW revisions for the board

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detai … d=ns2069en#tab1

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detai … ns2103_1es#tab1

Reply 14 of 31, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
limsolo wrote on 2020-09-16, 15:22:

😀 the more the merrier, still trying to source suitable slot 1 to 370 adaptors for my P2B-D myself so I can make a dual Tually setup. eBay is dry at the moment...

There was an auction on eBay that ended yesterday for the Power Leap PL-iP3/T adapter.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 15 of 31, by UselessSoftware

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2020-09-16, 19:08:
Are you on the correct HP BIOS revision for processor support? - i see two possible 2002 FW revisions for the board […]
Show full quote
Hi all. I'm trying to build myself something I've been meaning to get around to for a long time. A dual Tualatin P3 1.4 GHz syst […]
Show full quote

Opinions?

Are you on the correct HP BIOS revision for processor support? - i see two possible 2002 FW revisions for the board

Thanks for finding that, but I mistyped. It's from an LP2000r not LP1000r. HP's website seems to indicate that 1.26 GHz is as high as it supports, but the Asus manual for the TR-DLSR motherboard says it supports 1.4 GHz. So I may be screwed in that HP never released a BIOS update to support it for that one.

Reply 16 of 31, by limsolo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kixs wrote on 2020-09-16, 19:26:
limsolo wrote on 2020-09-16, 15:22:

There was an auction on eBay that ended yesterday for the Power Leap PL-iP3/T adapter.

Really? so much for eBay alerts 🤣, I'll have a look now see if there anymore - Thanks for the heads up!

EDIT

I have an eBay alert set up for PowerLeap, the seller wrote Power Leap, oh well....... Does that version work SMP I have read contradictory posts?, PowerLeap (Power Leap) also do an SMP version but I am not sure if it works with Tually's.

Reply 17 of 31, by limsolo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
UselessSoftware wrote on 2020-09-16, 19:37:
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2020-09-16, 19:08:
Are you on the correct HP BIOS revision for processor support? - i see two possible 2002 FW revisions for the board […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

Opinions?

Thanks for finding that, but I mistyped. It's from an LP2000r not LP1000r. HP's website seems to indicate that 1.26 GHz is as high as it supports, but the Asus manual for the TR-DLSR motherboard says it supports 1.4 GHz. So I may be screwed in that HP never released a BIOS update to support it for that one.

If it takes a 1.26 Tually S then I honestly cannot see why it won't take a 1.4S, I think its practically the same thing with a different multiplier? I checked the 1.26S uses the same stepping as the 1.4S. What is the S-Spec numbers of the 1.26S?

Reply 18 of 31, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
UselessSoftware wrote on 2020-09-16, 19:37:

Not according to these!

Specs - https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDispl … docLocale=en_US

BIOS - https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detai … ItemId=ns2070en

though I do see this link

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDispl … mr_na-c00069118

which doesn't mention 1.4-s processor support; maybe an older version or there's been a mid-lifecycle board upgrade?

Reply 19 of 31, by UselessSoftware

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
limsolo wrote on 2020-09-16, 20:09:

If it takes a 1.26 Tually S then I honestly cannot see why it won't take a 1.4S, I think its practically the same thing with a different multiplier? I checked the 1.26S uses the same stepping as the 1.4S. What is the S-Spec numbers of the 1.26S?

My CPUs are at home so I can't check, but it looks like Hoarder found a BIOS update! Hopefully that resolves it, otherwise I may have a bad CPU.

PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2020-09-16, 20:10:
Not according to these! […]
Show full quote

Not according to these!

Specs - https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDispl … docLocale=en_US

BIOS - https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detai … ItemId=ns2070en

though I do see this link

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDispl … mr_na-c00069118

which doesn't mention 1.4-s processor support; maybe an older version or there's been a mid-lifecycle board upgrade?

Nice find! Thanks, and yes that link is what I based the idea that 1.4 isn't supported on. I'll try the BIOS update tonight and see if anything changes.

I was searching for lp2000r on HPE's support site, but I couldn't get that BIOS to turn up for some reason.