VOGONS

First post, by hwh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have some CPUs and storing them is an issue (especially if the heatsink is staying on, but whatever). So, I picked up this:

IMG_6354.jpg
Filename
IMG_6354.jpg
File size
1019.59 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

They are big enough, I think for a PPro. You are supposed to cut the foam to fit. Fine, right? But I don't know if that's right at all. I have serious misgivings about these things re. static. I'm not sure if they are appropriate.

Also, the foam. It's very...tensilly strong. I have this:

IMG_6359.jpg
Filename
IMG_6359.jpg
File size
974.35 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

This is an original retail package. Now maybe it's just me, but it seems like the pins are meant to be embedded in the foam to keep the thing from sliding around and undoubtedly generating static. This foam is not that dense and by pushing the chip down the pins seat into it. As seen:

IMG_6361.jpg
Filename
IMG_6361.jpg
File size
873.48 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Now. The pink foam is not like that. It's very rubbery and pins really don't want to puncture it. I can force them to in a tedious process of trying to force the foam through the pin, but it's not working well at all. I can put a chip in there and the pins just sit on the foam. The foam just...takes up space, I don't know. Beispiel:

IMG_6355.jpg
Filename
IMG_6355.jpg
File size
1.04 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

And due to the grid arrangement of pins, I can't actually puncture through all the foam. But if I don't they don't seem to fit right. And just putting them in there against the plastic, that seems definitely wrong. So I have no idea what I'm doing and am frustrated by this nonsense.

IMG_6357.jpg
Filename
IMG_6357.jpg
File size
1 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

What's the solution here? I'm tired of loose CPUs getting pins bent and stacked in random containers.

Reply 1 of 7, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The pink foam is ESD safe. I use the same CPU holders for all my CPU's. You don't puncture the pins through the foam. Just set the CPU on and close the clam shell. I folded my foam over once and just trimmed off the excess so it fits snug and doesn't slide around.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 2 of 7, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice packing ! Correct, only the black foam do you push the cpu into. The pink you either wrap or make a a layer it sits on.
BTW was in Eugene today for a building maintenance, smoke is as bad as in Salem and Portland. UGH !

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3 of 7, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The dense black foam is conductive to dissipate static charge. If you stick a multimeter in it I think it will read a few thousand ohms.
The pink stuff might be "antistatic" meaning that it's not prone to generate static on it's own, but I'm guessing it's not conductive and won't dissipate any charge that might be introduced.

That high density static dissipative foam is sold some places. I ordered some sheets of it from Jameco a while back, but it's kind of expensive. That's the kind of place where you might want to pile up a shopping cart for a while to economize on the shipping charge. On that point, I remember they had a good price on Kapton tape (at the time anyway).

Reply 4 of 7, by hwh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you for this guidance.

shamino wrote on 2020-09-18, 05:11:

The dense black foam is conductive to dissipate static charge. If you stick a multimeter in it I think it will read a few thousand ohms.
The pink stuff might be "antistatic" meaning that it's not prone to generate static on it's own, but I'm guessing it's not conductive and won't dissipate any charge that might be introduced.

That high density static dissipative foam is sold some places. I ordered some sheets of it from Jameco a while back, but it's kind of expensive. That's the kind of place where you might want to pile up a shopping cart for a while to economize on the shipping charge. On that point, I remember they had a good price on Kapton tape (at the time anyway).

Mmm, I knew nothing about this.

Like this? https://www.jameco.com/z/HDBC-1224-25-Conduct … x12-_13864.html
I would be interested perhaps in replacing the pink stuff with the conductive or dissapative type if it seems to work and fit better.

Horun wrote on 2020-09-18, 03:10:

BTW was in Eugene today for a building maintenance, smoke is as bad as in Salem and Portland. UGH !

🙁

Gettin' some rain tonight, if the smoke doesn't come right back in.

Reply 6 of 7, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
hwh wrote on 2020-09-18, 07:32:

Like this? https://www.jameco.com/z/HDBC-1224-25-Conduct … x12-_13864.html
I would be interested perhaps in replacing the pink stuff with the conductive or dissapative type if it seems to work and fit better.

Yeah, that was the stuff I bought. I used it in some small component drawers to hold all my DIP ICs when I decided to get rid of those long DIP tubes.
It holds the legs safely, not sure how important the static dissipative behavior is, but for something valuable I'd use it.

Reply 7 of 7, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The black high density anti static foam is good for short term use, but for long term storage it is prone to decaying, and can be very difficult to clean off the pins.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.