First post, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, all!

Got myself this Supermicro P54VL-PCI motherboard

68abwlpm.jpg

It's a VLB Socket 5 board that I'd really like to use, but unfortunately it doesn't start. The best I could get is one long repeating beep and the POST card indicating some RAM issues.

The board came to me with a destroyed tantalum capacitor:

OLV2ypnm.jpg

I've replaced the capacitor, installed a new CMOS battery. Here is what I've tried so far:

- different CPUs. 75, 90 and 100 MHz (the only ones officially supported) from Intel and AMD — 5 in total. Different jumper settings, too;
- different videocards: an S3 968 for PCI, a Tseng ET6000 for PCI, a Cirrus Logic GD-CL5428 for VLB and some Realtek for ISA;
- different power supplies;
- different RAM modules, both FPM and EDO (though the board should support both).

The board doesn't appear to be dead — there is a power LED on the board that gets green, the CPU gets hot, so does the VRM. The indicators on the keyboards flash for a moment on boot, but the keyboard doesn't react to keystrokes.

What else should I try?

Last edited by jheronimus on 2020-12-31, 19:51. Edited 1 time in total.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 1 of 5, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have that board! It never worked right!

that said, just use some side-cuts to clip that tantalum. The board should post without it. My board is SUPER picky about memory. I'd suggest you keep trying with smaller simms.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 2 of 5, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote on 2020-09-21, 21:02:

I have that board! It never worked right!

that said, just use some side-cuts to clip that tantalum. The board should post without it. My board is SUPER picky about memory. I'd suggest you keep trying with smaller simms.

Tried 4x4MB of FPM RAM that I use on my 486 boards — didn't help. It still just gives one long beep. I should also say that the beep seems kind of muffled (I even tried two different PC speakers), but may be that's okay for an older AMI BIOS.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 4 of 5, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tried removing all of the cache, tried replacing all the chips, tried setting cache jumpers first to 256KB, then removed all the cache jumpers — nothing.

Actually went through all the jumpers using the TH99 page — set the IRQ3 (what is it for?) and video to Local bus (using the VLB card now).

Replaced the dead capacitor

The POST card reports D3 18 — I think it actually goes one step further now after I've replaced the capacitor, but I'm not entirely sure.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 5 of 5, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like it's a small Pentium+VLB boom on Vogons! I think I've seen two or three people mention they are working on such board or even starting a dedicated post for it.

I found a great guy on a Russian retro forum who managed to restore my board just in time for New Year:

CSD8Bq9m.jpg
KaKZO0Gm.jpg
JsNsWgom.jpg

Really a dream come true. I'm going to a NY party in a couple of hours, but in one or two days I hope to find time for a proper build.

I'm curious what kind of speed the VLB cards will run on, but I'm guessing it will either be a fixed 33MHz, or FSB clock/2 (so 33MHz for P100).

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog