VOGONS

First post, by peda126

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

HI all,
i have a working Unisys CWP4663 with 486DX2. I want to upgrade to a DX4 or Am5x86. Unfortunately I don't have the jumper settings for the motherboard.
The mainboard is manufactured by TULIP COMPUTERS part number 05-104000-05 TC40 L5. See attached pictures.

Does anyone of you recognize this mainboard and may have documentation that you can share?
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Peter

EDIT:
i found some more information about the board
Re: Dutch members: Tulip Vision Line dt 4/66 (486) CPU jumper help?
https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/T/T … S-486-TC40.html

Attachments

• tulip_mainboard2.JPG
    Filename
    tulip_mainboard2.JPG
    File size
    77.9 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Mainboard Layout
    File license
    Public domain
  • tulip_mainboard.JPG
    Filename
    tulip_mainboard.JPG
    File size
    164.48 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Mainboard part number
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by peda126 on 2020-09-23, 00:24. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 13, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmmm that is the oddest method of adding a VRM to board I ever saw. Will check around for some info. An Intel DX4ODPR100 should drop in with current DX2 settings....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 13, by radiounix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Mhmm. I bet a lot of us now have the same machine, thanks to a certain person dumping a literal pallet of them on EBay for $100 each. I bought one of those, but no, I don't have any documentation for it. I'm not expecting it to turn up either, I'm guessing it was something that only Unisys and IT departments would have had as Unisys was oriented toward large business needs.

For what its worth, mine is currently down for the count because the power supply failed. As you've probably discovered by now it has a rare setup with a third P10 connector that supplies 3.3V.

On another note, am I missing something, or do I need a proprietary Unisys bracket to mount a CD-ROM drive properly?

Reply 3 of 13, by peda126

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

you are right, i got it of Ebay recently form the guy who sold a whole pallet of them for $100 each...
My system works fine for now, pre installed with Win95. Looks like mine came from the prosecutors office in Monmouth county.

I saw the additional connector from the PSU, but was not aware it supplies 3.3v. The DX2 i am running right now is a 5V chip, and i have a AM5x86-133 which is a 3.3V chip. I suppose there must be a jumper somewhere to set the CPU voltage to 3.3V, since it is supplied from the PSU.

Also, there are several threads about the Tulip TC-40 mainboard on Vogons. Some persons posted links to the manual, but all of them are broken at this moment.
The same board was used in Tulip computers in the Netherlands and others.

Re: AT Power Supply Cable Color Codes
Re: 486 asus motherboard with no slots

I was wondering the same, but i am certain you need a special carriage to add the 5 1/4 drive bay. Probably i am building something by my self.

Reply 4 of 13, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
peda126 wrote on 2020-09-23, 01:12:
you are right, i got it of Ebay recently form the guy who sold a whole pallet of them for $100 each... My system works fine for […]
Show full quote

you are right, i got it of Ebay recently form the guy who sold a whole pallet of them for $100 each...
My system works fine for now, pre installed with Win95. Looks like mine came from the prosecutors office in Monmouth county.

I saw the additional connector from the PSU, but was not aware it supplies 3.3v. The DX2 i am running right now is a 5V chip, and i have a AM5x86-133 which is a 3.3V chip. I suppose there must be a jumper somewhere to set the CPU voltage to 3.3V, since it is supplied from the PSU.

Also, there are several threads about the Tulip TC-40 mainboard on Vogons. Some persons posted links to the manual, but all of them are broken at this moment.
The same board was used in Tulip computers in the Netherlands and others.

Re: AT Power Supply Cable Color Codes
Re: 486 asus motherboard with no slots

I was wondering the same, but i am certain you need a special carriage to add the 5 1/4 drive bay. Probably i am building something by my self.

Wayback to the rescue! 😀

https://web.archive.org/web/20180107113509/ht … oard_manual.pdf

Reply 5 of 13, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2020-09-23, 01:37:

Great find ! Think better images of the motherboard could be helpful. Never seen a V. reg planted in a surface mount 486 cpu area before.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 6 of 13, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does your floppy interface work, with standard twisted pair cable and standard floppy, my same TULIP mini motherboard has an issue, that it will see both A and B drive, but only B drive is readable, even if only B drive exist. A drive reading gives you immediate error. I allways suspected, that maybe it is some kind of pinout issue. I use it driveless, with a swappable hard drives.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 7 of 13, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does this manual match your board's settings too ?
http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboard/show/5620

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 8 of 13, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, i have the same board.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 9 of 13, by peda126

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks to the posted link to the manual, got the system up an running with a Am5x86-P75 133 CPU! Great idea with the Wayback machine!!

BUT, with all my screwing around yesterday, i dropped the CPU 90 degree off in to the socket. Unfortunately i heard a "sssstt" and saw a small spark and it looks like the onboard IDE controller is fried..... I order a loupe to inspect all SMD parts in the are where is saw the spark, maybe i can identify the fried part and replace it.

I could not get the system working with a ISA IDE controller.

@cyberdyne: my floppies are working fine. I have a 1.44MB and a Gotek connected. My cable has NO twist, which is weird. ( On my 386 system i use a cable with twist)

Reply 10 of 13, by radiounix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Eeks! That sucks, it's a nice PCI IDE controller too. I'm assuming you've gone and disabled the onboard drive controllers? On a related and hopefully not too sore note, could you ever get your machine to boot up with LBA enabled? Two ~500MB drives is a lot for a 486, but still.

@cyberdyne: mine also has no twist. There's two IDE-style connectors for the newer 3.5" drives, and one edge connector for the 5 1/4" B: drive if so equipped.

Reply 11 of 13, by peda126

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I disabled all onboard controllers, but i also did not spend to much time yet. I was kind of frustrated.....

Before i broke the IDE controller, i had two 500mb drives connected. The original HDD and a IDE-SD adapter and it worked fine. I had LBA enabled.

If anybody wants to sell his Tulip TC40 mainboard, i would buy it.

Reply 12 of 13, by gbin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Mine has a cool TLDR for the jumpers inside, I let that here for the future people landing on this thread in the future.

Attachments