VOGONS

First post, by Steapa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I bought this 486 that came with a MICRO-STAR MS-4138 / 486SI5 VESA Motherboard and this sound card:

jy6L8mC.jpg

It's an ISA turtle beach Tropez plus. It wasn't working with any game I tried so I bought this cheaper sound card:

aq4rziw.jpg

That's an Opti Med3931. The previous owner assured me that it was working properly, but again it didn't work in the games I tested it...

So I tried changing slots and installing DOS 6.22 (previous was 5.0) but still didn't work.
What should I try now? I don't want to believe these two cards are dead. I also checked the motherboard manual for any jumper setting that may be causing the cards to not work, but I didn't find anything.

Reply 2 of 5, by Steapa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Oetker wrote on 2020-09-23, 18:13:

Did you run the cards' initialization tools. They don't have jumpers so they need to be initialized by a software application.

No, do you know where I can find it? I just found the manual for the first card, but not initialization tools.

EDIT: Can I use the "Universal ISA PnP Sound Card Driver"? I'm feeling stupid right now I had no idea I needed to init it

Reply 3 of 5, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Steapa wrote on 2020-09-23, 18:15:

Did you run the cards' initialization tools. They don't have jumpers so they need to be initialized by a software application.

No, do you know where I can find it? I just found the manual for the first card, but not initialization tools.

EDIT: Can I use the "Universal ISA PnP Sound Card Driver"? I'm feeling stupid right now I had no idea I needed to init it

The Opti card should work with Unisound UNISOUND - Universal ISA PnP Sound Card Driver for DOS v0.81b
The Turtle Beach card has a supported Crystal chip but I don't know if Unisound will initialize all functionality as it's a more complex card with ram sockets etc. Just search Vogons for more info on the card.

Reply 4 of 5, by Steapa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Oetker wrote on 2020-09-23, 18:25:
Steapa wrote on 2020-09-23, 18:15:

The Opti card should work with Unisound UNISOUND - Universal ISA PnP Sound Card Driver for DOS v0.81b
The Turtle Beach card has a supported Crystal chip but I don't know if Unisound will initialize all functionality as it's a more complex card with ram sockets etc. Just search Vogons for more info on the card.

Yeah, it worked with the Opti.
Thank you!

Reply 5 of 5, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Tropez Plus software and manual should be available on vogonsdrivers.com.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK