VOGONS

First post, by B24Fox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey all.

I've been desperately trying to find some details about my childhood motherboard (in the effort to recreate my 1st PC), but to no avail..

I've never actually seen the motherboard (couldn't open the PC case bcoz of the warranty) ..which I find to be the saddest part.., but what I remember, is:

-The mobo was Super socket 7 (had a K6-2 /400 on it, & an AGP Voodoo Banshee)
-The chipset was ALI Aladdin (dunno which one, but Aladdin 5 might be the only contender)
-The form factor was AT
-The box I remember being blue / green.. (or maybe turquoise), with a big 3D rendered Dragonfly hovering over a polygonal landscape, with it's shadow being cast down on the landscape)
-was bought in June of 1999, and must have been pretty cheap..

Does anyone have any clue ?
Thanks~!

Reply 1 of 78, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I will have a look in my collection tomorrow if I can find anything that will help you.

But best chance is if someone recognizes the actual box as it seems to recognizable, but if noone does, then finding the probable brand will at least send you into the right direction.

Purple/blue boxart reminds me of Jetway (amongst others), but I couldn't find a lot of images online. I will have a look tomorrow, but I think it is highly unlikely I'll be able to find that exact box in my own attic.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 78, by B24Fox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote on 2020-09-25, 18:33:

I will have a look in my collection tomorrow if I can find anything that will help you.

But best chance is if someone recognizes the actual box as it seems to recognizable, but if noone does, then finding the probable brand will at least send you into the right direction.

Purple/blue boxart reminds me of Jetway (amongst others), but I couldn't find a lot of images online. I will have a look tomorrow, but I think it is highly unlikely I'll be able to find that exact box in my own attic.

Yes, the box is what I remember best; as I used to stare at it for long periods of time as a kid 😀 But I can't find that image anywhere. don't think it had purple tho.. I distinctly remember the color around the Dragonfly picture, being something between dark-green , and blue.

I also remember the manual being a somewhat glossy booklet (not foldable), and it also had the same blue-greenish color & Dragonfly picture on it as the box, but a bit cropped.

Thanks for the effort 😀

Reply 3 of 78, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
B24Fox wrote on 2020-09-25, 19:29:
Yes, the box is what I remember best; as I used to stare at it for long periods of time as a kid :) But I can't find that image […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote on 2020-09-25, 18:33:

Yes, the box is what I remember best; as I used to stare at it for long periods of time as a kid 😀 But I can't find that image anywhere. don't think it had purple tho.. I distinctly remember the color around the Dragonfly picture, being something between dark-green , and blue.

I also remember the manual being a somewhat glossy booklet (not foldable), and it also had the same blue-greenish color & Dragonfly picture on it as the box, but a bit cropped.

Thanks for the effort 😀

I couldn't find any box that came close. I apparently have very few s7 era motherboard boxes.
It was probably not ASUS but there were so many brands back then.. I think that unless someone either has a large boxed collection (maybe someone like Artex?) and can check, or someone knows the actual box art.

Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 78, by intel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Possibly an Asus P5A-B

http://hw-museum.cz/mb/26/asus-p5a-b

Attachments

Reply 6 of 78, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
intel wrote on 2020-09-27, 05:50:

Possibly an Asus P5A-B

ASUS never used dragonflies or afaicr any kind of animals in its packaging back in the Pentium/PentiumII days.
On your pics the big 3D rendered Dragonfly hovering over a polygonal landscape is missing, unless I've gone blind due to lack of caffeine 🤣

Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 78, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Searched images high and low on the web but can't find anything. I guess some low cost brand as I have the higher end ones like the Asus boards and Gigabyte. Maybe a board from Soyo or A-trend or something.

@Tetrium: which boards do you have complete with an original box? from s7 to s370 ... 😮)

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 8 of 78, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Lets play Devils advocate here.

You never saw the motherboard ever, you only saw the box. You will never find this box even if you knew what it was.
Your nostoalgia is based on specs and a box. So what difference does it make what board you get as long as it has the same specs. Since you never saw the board. You have no idea what is looks like. so why should it matter. I mean somone could sell you a computer with a S7 ali mobo in it and say oh this is the board you had and you wouldn't know the difference.

I would just go find a ALI ss7 mother board and call it a day.

Reply 9 of 78, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Warlord wrote on 2020-09-27, 18:20:
Lets play Devils advocate here. […]
Show full quote

You never saw the motherboard ever, you only saw the box. You will never find this box even if you knew what it was.
Your nostoalgia is based on specs and a box. So what difference does it make what board you get as long as it has the same specs. Since you never saw the board. You have no idea what is looks like. so why should it matter. I mean somone could sell you a computer with a S7 ali mobo in it and say oh this is the board you had and you wouldn't know the difference.

That would of course be the rational thing to do, but since when was this obsolete office machines hoarding hobby rational in any way at all? 😁

----

I seem to remember an old graphics card coming in a box decorated with a 3d rendered dragonfly, probably some time in the beginning of this millennium. Would guess it was a Riva TNT or TNT2, maybe a Powercolor one. OP, are you absolutely sure it was a mobo box? You haven't mixed it up somehow?

Reply 10 of 78, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kaputnik wrote on 2020-09-27, 18:43:
That would of course be the rational thing to do, but since when was this obsolete office machines hoarding hobby rational in an […]
Show full quote
Warlord wrote on 2020-09-27, 18:20:
Lets play Devils advocate here. […]
Show full quote

That would of course be the rational thing to do, but since when was this obsolete office machines hoarding hobby rational in any way at all? 😁

----

I seem to remember an old graphics card coming in a box decorated with a 3d rendered dragonfly, probably some time in the beginning of this millennium. Would guess it was a Riva TNT or TNT2, maybe a Powercolor one. OP, are you absolutely sure it was a mobo box? You haven't mixed it up somehow?

It's perfectly rational for me to have 11 12 PCs (I forgot to count the Apple), a laptop, and about twelve motherboards here in the room I live in...

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 11 of 78, by B24Fox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

"That would of course be the rational thing to do, but since when was this obsolete office machines hoarding hobby rational in any way at all?"
This actually got me laughing out loud 😀)))

Yes, it does seem pretty pointless, and almost irational, as there are a lot of other better, mobos out there... But that's the thing: I never held it in my hand, never even saw it!! Don't even actually know the specs except for maybe the chipset. There are things that i'd like to know more, about my first computer, and that box, that motherboard holds the answers.

All the other components I saw later, as they were ported to the next PC, which I had the tenacity to open without ripping the warranty seal 😜

Also there was one other thing about this motherboard... : it was sooo shit, that the first year or so of me owning a PC, I was plagued with daily crashes, freezez, and reboots... even after upgrading to a Voodoo3 in the first year. I remember taking the computer back almost every 1-2 months, and the firm saying they fixed it, and then it would happen again as soon as i got home... until they replaced the motherboard with another model (without actually telling us), only a few months before the upgrade to an Athlon.
But I figured out they switched it, as the POST didn't say ALI Aladdin any more, and the AT keyboard connector looked slightly different.. But by then, a year had already passed, and the Athlon upgrade was soon to come.
So I have some unfinished business with this motherboard, who's problems nobody seemed to be able to solve..

The computer did come prebuilt , and all the documents and manuals came in that box. It was the exact size, and opened from the top, like a mobo box.

I'm gonna shoot Artex a PM, maybe I'll have some luck and he has it in his collection..

Reply 12 of 78, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
B24Fox wrote on 2020-09-27, 21:13:

I've been desperately trying to find some details about my childhood motherboard (in the effort to recreate my 1st PC), but to no avail....

Also there was one other thing about this motherboard... : it was sooo shit, that the first year or so of me owning a PC, I was plagued with daily crashes, freezez, and reboots... even after upgrading to a Voodoo3 in the first year. I remember taking the computer back almost every 1-2 months, and the firm saying they fixed it, and then it would happen again as soon as i got home... until they replaced the motherboard with another model (without actually telling us)

And you want to recreate that experience ? Now you have me laughing 😀

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 13 of 78, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
meljor wrote on 2020-09-27, 17:40:

Searched images high and low on the web but can't find anything. I guess some low cost brand as I have the higher end ones like the Asus boards and Gigabyte. Maybe a board from Soyo or A-trend or something.

@Tetrium: which boards do you have complete with an original box? from s7 to s370 ... 😮)

Possibly only the ASUS P2B that came with my first PC and an MS-5169 which I bought NIB from ebay years ago. I do have some more boxes but these always came separate from the boards. I probably have many boxes but don't have the boards and vice versa.
Which do you have? All ASUS I presume? 😜

Report spammers here!

Reply 14 of 78, by B24Fox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote on 2020-09-27, 23:56:
B24Fox wrote on 2020-09-27, 21:13:

I've been desperately trying to find some details about my childhood motherboard (in the effort to recreate my 1st PC), but to no avail....

Also there was one other thing about this motherboard... : it was sooo shit, that the first year or so of me owning a PC, I was plagued with daily crashes, freezez, and reboots... even after upgrading to a Voodoo3 in the first year. I remember taking the computer back almost every 1-2 months, and the firm saying they fixed it, and then it would happen again as soon as i got home... until they replaced the motherboard with another model (without actually telling us)

And you want to recreate that experience ? Now you have me laughing 😀

Yup 😀 It started out normal like everybody here, --just trying to build myself a 486... And it degenerated into this screwed up version of Stockholm Syndrome 😀))

On a more serious note; I'm also kinda curious to see what was the actual problem... Sort of post-mortem like..
I'v already collected the rest of the hardware, and all that remains is the motherboard.

Reply 15 of 78, by B24Fox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
intel wrote on 2020-09-27, 05:50:

Possibly an Asus P5A-B

Asus is way too good of a brand for the low price that that PC cost back then.. (plus no Dragonfly)

L.E.
I'd like to say it was something along the lines of Acorp, A-Trend, Aopen, Biostar, Epox, Shuttle(dunno if this one is cheap).. etc.. Something like this, like a recognizable brand that is cheap... Not some offbrand that nobody's ever heard of.
Also I don't think it was an exotic sounding name (like SOYO, or ZIDA, etc).. It was something that IIRC, a few years later I recognized it as still being a brand on the market.
But I might be talking out of my a$$.. and imagination might have started replacing actual memory.

Reply 17 of 78, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Only companies I am finding that have used dragons on their boxes are:
SOYO
ECS
MSI

I don't know of any specific SS7 motherboard models from any of them with the ALI V chipset though.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 18 of 78, by B24Fox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not a dragon. A dragonfly!
GettyImages-1034314912-1000x658.jpg

On the box, the dragonfly was seen slightly from underneath, kind of like in the picture above.
But it was 3D rendered, not an actual photo.

Reply 19 of 78, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
B24Fox wrote on 2020-10-18, 21:25:
Not a dragon. A dragonfly! https://d279m997dpfwgl.cloudfront.net/wp/2019/09/GettyImages-1034314912-1000x658.jpg […]
Show full quote

Not a dragon. A dragonfly!
GettyImages-1034314912-1000x658.jpg

On the box, the dragonfly was seen slightly from underneath, kind of like in the picture above.
But it was 3D rendered, not an actual photo.

My guess is that thus far simply noone recognizes it.
It would help if you at least knew the manufacturer. Manufacturers would often make a series of similar packaging art. If one model used a dragonfly, the next might have used a jet plane or a hawk or a UFO or something.

The pic of the dragonfly is btw from slightly above and not from slightly underneath.

Report spammers here!