VOGONS

Reply 20 of 78, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
B24Fox wrote on 2020-10-18, 21:25:
Not a dragon. A dragonfly! https://d279m997dpfwgl.cloudfront.net/wp/2019/09/GettyImages-1034314912-1000x658.jpg […]
Show full quote

Not a dragon. A dragonfly!
GettyImages-1034314912-1000x658.jpg

On the box, the dragonfly was seen slightly from underneath, kind of like in the picture above.
But it was 3D rendered, not an actual photo.

Hah.... I fail at reading.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 21 of 78, by B24Fox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote on 2020-10-18, 23:07:
My guess is that thus far simply noone recognizes it. It would help if you at least knew the manufacturer. Manufacturers would o […]
Show full quote
Not a dragon. A dragonfly! https://d279m997dpfwgl.cloudfront.net/wp/2019/09/GettyImages-1034314912-1000x658.jpg […]
Show full quote

On the box, the dragonfly was seen slightly from underneath, kind of like in the picture above.

My guess is that thus far simply noone recognizes it.
It would help if you at least knew the manufacturer. Manufacturers would often make a series of similar packaging art. If one model used a dragonfly, the next might have used a jet plane or a hawk or a UFO or something.

The pic of the dragonfly is btw from slightly above and not from slightly underneath.

Yeah, I know; it was the best picture I could find that resembles the box-art 😜
The viewing angle (as I remember it), was about 30 degrees lower than in the picture. With the the distance to the dragonfly, about the same as in the picture.

Regarding the manufacturer.. I think nothing short of hypnosis will make me remember the name on the cover of the manual.
I am actually trying pretty hard to remember, and some "graphical" memories, did actually start to come back.. It feels like the image or name might still be there, but can't quite access it.

Found it kinda interesting, that last week an actual Dragonfly got into my kitchen 😀
Haven't seen a live one since I was a kid.
Scared the living crap out of me..

Reply 22 of 78, by B24Fox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-10-18, 23:36:
Show full quote

Hah.... I fail at reading.

No worries 😀

Reply 23 of 78, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote on 2020-09-28, 00:24:
meljor wrote on 2020-09-27, 17:40:

Searched images high and low on the web but can't find anything. I guess some low cost brand as I have the higher end ones like the Asus boards and Gigabyte. Maybe a board from Soyo or A-trend or something.

@Tetrium: which boards do you have complete with an original box? from s7 to s370 ... 😮)

Possibly only the ASUS P2B that came with my first PC and an MS-5169 which I bought NIB from ebay years ago. I do have some more boxes but these always came separate from the boards. I probably have many boxes but don't have the boards and vice versa.
Which do you have? All ASUS I presume? 😜

How did you guess it? 😮)

But which one am I missing? THE P2B! And also the P3B-F box which is my favorite slot1 board,.

But I do have the P5A, P5A-B, TX97,486 SP3, TXP4, P55T2P4, TUSL2-C, K7A, A7N8X (and deluxe) and various P4P800 versions all in working conditions and original ASUS boxes, so I will not complain... Also have the Gigabyte GA5-AX with box.

Which boxes do you have that have no boards?

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 24 of 78, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
meljor wrote on 2020-10-19, 18:17:
How did you guess it? :o) […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote on 2020-09-28, 00:24:
meljor wrote on 2020-09-27, 17:40:

Searched images high and low on the web but can't find anything. I guess some low cost brand as I have the higher end ones like the Asus boards and Gigabyte. Maybe a board from Soyo or A-trend or something.

@Tetrium: which boards do you have complete with an original box? from s7 to s370 ... 😮)

Possibly only the ASUS P2B that came with my first PC and an MS-5169 which I bought NIB from ebay years ago. I do have some more boxes but these always came separate from the boards. I probably have many boxes but don't have the boards and vice versa.
Which do you have? All ASUS I presume? 😜

How did you guess it? 😮)

But which one am I missing? THE P2B! And also the P3B-F box which is my favorite slot1 board,.

But I do have the P5A, P5A-B, TX97,486 SP3, TXP4, P55T2P4, TUSL2-C, K7A, A7N8X (and deluxe) and various P4P800 versions all in working conditions and original ASUS boxes, so I will not complain... Also have the Gigabyte GA5-AX with box.

Which boxes do you have that have no boards?

I probably have a couple more boxes, but I don't know from top of my head. I may actually have the TUSL2-C box as well now that I remember, and perhaps some variant of an A7V8X or something? But mostly just the boxes. Motherboard manuals is a completely different stack yet again 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 25 of 78, by SVD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not a MB, but it got a dragonfly. Was it anything like this?

Attachments

• 20201022_180037.jpg
    Filename
    20201022_180037.jpg
    File size
    967.51 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 27 of 78, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I saw a sound card box that had a dragonfly on it. I think the brand was DCS but I can't find it again... was traveling and on my phone when I saw it.

The only ALI Super 7 chipsets were the Aladdin V and the Aladdin 7. Looking at pictures of boxes of all that I know of and can find, none of them used a dragonfly on the box.

Maybe it was something that was only sold in Europe. Or maybe the box art was different over there.

ALI chipset motherboard list:
http://www.motherboard.cz/ali.htm

Aladdin V

AAEON:
PCM-5896

ASUS:
P5A
P5A-B

Acorp:
5ALI61

Biostar:
M5ALC

Freetech:
P5F93
P5F93U
P5F103

Gigabyte:
GA-5AX
GA-5AA
GA-5AMMC

MSI:
MS-5169

Aladdin 7 (no AGP slot)

Acorp:
5ALI61 Plus

PCChips:
M587LMR
M583LMR

-------------------------------
Edit: Found an MSI board and added it.

Last edited by cyclone3d on 2020-10-23, 18:50. Edited 3 times in total.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 28 of 78, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Let’s see
Gigabyte usually had clouds with a cartoon dude surfing on the motherboard

Amptron had weird solid green, red and white boxes

My best guess is some low end PCCHIPS / Elitegroup affiliate, certain offerings from them had weird artwork

Reply 29 of 78, by B24Fox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@SVD
wow, there's actually another box with a dragonfly! 😀 But sadly doesn't resemble my old mobo's box art at all. And I'm almost 100% certain that the brand wasn't ViewTOP.

@cyclone3d
if the list you posted includes ALL Aladdin V chipsets, then i'm in trouble..

From the list I was sure it was gonna be the Biostar.. or at least AAEON or Acorp.. But they're either ATX, or the boxes don't match..
Can't find pictures of FreeTech boxes for the first 2 boards, but i found the 3rd, and it doesn't look anything like what i had. Even the logo seems foreign to me.

Just hope these aren't actually all of them.. otherwise, i'm screwed.

Reply 30 of 78, by B24Fox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@rmay635703
looked at a few PCCHIPS boxes from that time period, and that logo wasn't on the box.

In fact, I distinctly remember lying on the floor of my bedroom as a kid, with the box & manual in hand, trying to figure out the brand of my motherboard, and it was very difficult.. (can't remember if i did eventually). But I remember that the lack of branding struck me even then.
Might have been that the name of the maker sounded to me as a technical term, and not as a "name".. not to mention that my English speaking abilities were poor, to say the least.. But i can't remember ever seeing a logo on the box.

Reply 31 of 78, by SVD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSweaD7PWqw

This reminded me of this tread. There should be enough retro dragonflies in this video to satisfy a lifetime x)

Reply 32 of 78, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
B24Fox wrote on 2020-10-22, 23:40:

In fact, I distinctly remember lying on the floor of my bedroom as a kid, with the box & manual in hand, trying to figure out the brand of my motherboard, and it was very difficult.. (can't remember if i did eventually). But I remember that the lack of branding struck me even then.
Might have been that the name of the maker sounded to me as a technical term, and not as a "name".. not to mention that my English speaking abilities were poor, to say the least.. But i can't remember ever seeing a logo on the box.

How old were you when you last saw that box with the dragonfly ? Just curious.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 34 of 78, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is this it?

DCS / Commate S7AX

Attachments

• s-l1600 (1).jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    File size
    442.54 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • s-l1600.jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600.jpg
    File size
    227.58 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 36 of 78, by B24Fox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, so, after recovering from ABSOLUTE SHOCK...

Thank you Bancho!!!!! Soo soo much!! It's unbelievable to see this box again after all this time (more than 16 years)!! and it's unbelievable to actually see the board, "MY!" first board, for the very first time!!! This almost brought tears to my eyes...
I want to also thank everyone that replied, and put in the effort into helping me with this! You are all great, and I truly appreciate your help!

Now the journey of getting it, begins 😀

L.E.
I simply can't get over this!... I can't believe it!

*Insert "you are as beautiful as the day i lost you" meme.

Reply 38 of 78, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@bancho
Do you own this board ? If so can you please make a manual scan ?
I've found bioses for it over here https://www.elhvb.com/supportbios.info/Archiv … s7ax/index.html

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 39 of 78, by B24Fox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@bancho
Yes, can you PLEASE scan / photograph the manual?
Also, if you still have the CD, an ISO would be GREATLY appreciated!

@Deksor
10x for the link 😁