VOGONS

First post, by J.Jordan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Solved: Gameport needed to be set to 201. It was the motherboard in my case. On-board gameport could only be set to 200 or 208. Thankfully, the port on my sound card could be set to 201.

I bought a PC ProPad 4 to try with some DOS games. Having a ton of trouble with it. I can see it and use it in Win98, but nothing I've tried in DOS will recognize it. Game/Midi Port is onboard and set to 208/330 to avoid a conflict in Windows. I've also tried it on the port on my soundcard (Now disabled in DOS, but usually set to 201/300) My understanding was this would be seen as simply a 2 or 4 button joystick. I assume I'm wrong. I figure my system is either too new or I'm missing a driver/setting in my config/autoexec. Any help is a appreciated.

System Spec:
P4 2.8
Asus P4V800-D
512MB Ram
GeForce FX 5600
AOpen AW744L II / Using DOS legacy drivers (system sees it as a Sound Blaster)

Last edited by J.Jordan on 2020-09-25, 23:04. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 3, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Maybe the legacy drivers do not provide gameport functionality? Or it could be that the system is too fast preventing programs from detecting the joystick.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 2 of 3, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
J.Jordan wrote on 2020-09-25, 16:05:
I bought a PC ProPad 4 to try with some DOS games. Having a ton of trouble with it. I can see it and use it in Win98, but nothin […]
Show full quote

I bought a PC ProPad 4 to try with some DOS games. Having a ton of trouble with it. I can see it and use it in Win98, but nothing I've tried in DOS will recognize it. Game/Midi Port is onboard and set to 208/330 to avoid a conflict in Windows. I've also tried it on the port on my soundcard (Now disabled in DOS, but usually set to 201/300) My understanding was this would be seen as simply a 2 or 4 button joystick. I assume I'm wrong. I figure my system is either too new or I'm missing a driver/setting in my config/autoexec. Any help is a appreciated.

System Spec:
P4 2.8
Asus P4V800-D
512MB Ram
GeForce FX 5600
AOpen AW744L II / Using DOS legacy drivers (system sees it as a Sound Blaster)

DOS games expect the gameport to be at 201h . Having it at 208h ensures most DOS games will never see it (most DOS software is hardcoded, AFAIK).

EDIT: According to another thread on Vogons, it should work fine in DOS .

Reply 3 of 3, by J.Jordan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

DOS games expect the gameport to be at 201h . Having it at 208h ensures most DOS games will never see it (most DOS software is hardcoded, AFAIK).

EDIT: According to another thread on Vogons, it should work fine in DOS .

It's probably the thread I based my purchase on. I'll switch the onboard port to 201 tonight and see what happens. I think I can resolve the Windows conflict another way.