VOGONS

First post, by dulu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello Everyone!

I am familiar with atx builds but i`m also a newbie with at/dos format. I got some parts for a 486 class computer a few days ago and thought that I would like to run a doom on it. I don't know how to identify the motherboard, besides I have some parts I don't know what they are for. Spent about 2 hours in google graphics 🙁 Maybe someone could help me get this started? I can`t even find where is a power button connector... Do you think that i`ll be able to run this machine without 486 cpu on main board, when i have 386 cpu on ISA card?

Attachments

• cpu card.jpg
    Filename
    cpu card.jpg
    File size
    298.21 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • unindentified2.jpg
    Filename
    unindentified2.jpg
    File size
    479.81 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • unindentified1.jpg
    Filename
    unindentified1.jpg
    File size
    515.88 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • efar.jpg
    Filename
    efar.jpg
    File size
    596.81 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 1 of 16, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

#1 386 single board computer. Designed for a passive backplane.
#2 controller board for a 3.5" floppy drive
#3 video card for #1. Don't separate them.
#4 looks like an ACER 486 board, but there is considerable battery damage. Remove that blue barrel at the top right and do some research about leaky batteries. if you want to go down that rabbit hole.

maybe this board: https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/A/A … NC-486-VI9.html

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 2 of 16, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As for that video card for the SBC... you will need a VGA cable for it as well. Pretty sure the blue header is where the vga breakout cable would hook up.

That video card is not necessarily needed for that SBC. You could use any old ISA video card, but that one is a nicer TSENG so might as well as long as you can get the vga output wired up properly.

It probably came in a very compact setup as the header on the SBC is just an extension of the ISA bus. The vga output probably hooked up to a separate punchout in the case and wouldn't have needed an extra expansion slot.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 16, by dulu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

am i doing it right? And am i able to run this thing up when there is no 486 cpu on the main board? I have also normal vga card and hdd/fdd controller, i think..

Attachments

• 20200927_224442.jpg
    Filename
    20200927_224442.jpg
    File size
    504.8 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20200927_224438.jpg
    Filename
    20200927_224438.jpg
    File size
    537.69 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20200928_180155.jpg
    Filename
    20200928_180155.jpg
    File size
    333.32 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 4 of 16, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Don't plug that 386 board into anything other than a passive backplane.

The first thing to do is to diagnose the 486 board for damage.

Reply 5 of 16, by dulu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, so 486 cpu is required. This socket has 168 pins, but there is a hole without pin contact. Is that means that i can use 486 cpu with 169 pins designed for "socket 1" ?

Reply 7 of 16, by dulu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

1: Ok, there is only one seller that sells chips in decent price. Do you think that cpu marked on a attached picture will be ok?

2: Turning on at format pc requires connect two wires coming out from the at power suply. Am i right?

Attachments

• cpus.jpg
    Filename
    cpus.jpg
    File size
    74.66 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 10 of 16, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That 386 card is nice to have since it has 32K cache using 385 cache controller give nice boost to the 386DX. But that will not beat the 486 anyway but fun to play with.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 11 of 16, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is your board I think
http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboard/show/4369

If you can turn it on, a bios dump would be appreciated 😀

Edit : I added your photo 😀

Last edited by Deksor on 2020-09-29, 19:06. Edited 1 time in total.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 12 of 16, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pentiumspeed wrote on 2020-09-29, 01:45:

That 386 card is nice to have since it has 32K cache using 385 cache controller give nice boost to the 386DX. But that will not beat the 486 anyway but fun to play with.

Cheers,

True, but no battery damage, so better chance that it will work.

Btw, my experience is that it is possible to run some SBCs in 'normal' motherboards so long as there's no CPU in the board, the voltages are all OK (could be an issue with all that corrosion) and all ISA slots are wired up fully. YMMV and don't blame me for burning down the house (or more likely: your boards and PSU) if you try it, but it might be an option. That said, biggest issue is power draw - good chance the board draws more than a regular motherboard can supply over ISA and this SBC doesn't seem to have any aux power possibilities.

In any event even if you do get the 386 SBC to work in the ISA slot of the 486 board, it is just doing that: using the ISA bus. You won't be able to use VLB or any of the onboard devices on the 486 board. I fully agree that the correct way to use that SBC is in an ISA backplane. You can find them online fairly cheaply, or - even cheaper, more educational and fun - make one yourself: http://www.alexandrugroza.ro/microelectronics … lane/index.html

Reply 13 of 16, by dulu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Still waiting for 486. Meanwhile - can someone identify simm module with 3 chips? simm above on the picture has 1mb. Can i "mix" these ram modules in one memory bank?

Attachments

• 20201002_003215.jpg
    Filename
    20201002_003215.jpg
    File size
    443.96 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 14 of 16, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

no.

the bottom simm is a 1mb, but it's wired differently than the top. they need to be the same type of simm in the bank.

Reply 15 of 16, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The three chip memory has two AAA4M204J chips. These are 1M * 4bit words memory chips, so together they make one megabyte.

So these sticks may work together, however you need four sticks to complete a 486 bank and also the other ram stick may have a 100NS timing whereas the other one seems to have just 70ns timing.

@luckybob
Really ? Huh well then I guess you're right ^^

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative