VOGONS

First post, by HzDonut

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Everyone,

Long time lurker, first time posting. 😀

I was able to pickup a Soyo SY-6BA for a sentimental personal build and everything on the board is fine, except the BIOS chip was bad and the original owner could not find where he put it.

Here is where I could use your help:

1. I read the original bios chips for these boards were awful to say the least and capable of corrupting pretty easy. I read on some much older forum posts that you can use a different BIOS chip with less potential chance of being corrupted. Is this true? (referring to an old Tom's Hardware post where someone with a SY-6BA III board swapped out their old BIOS chip for a much better version from a different manufacturer).

2. I checked the manual and online, but can't seem to find what type of BIOS chip was on the SY-6ba. I was able to find the variants (6BA-III, +, and so on...), but not the plain 6BA. Does anyone know where I can find what type of chip was originally on this board, so I can maybe replace it with something better?

3. In regards to flashing the new chip with the 6ba bios, is this something a local shop could do for me, or is it a service I'd have to ship the board out to be worked on? (A lot of older posts online take you to companies that no longer exist at all... let alone offer this service 😉 ).

Thank you all for your time and help. I sincerely appreciate and thank you for this wonderful community and forum!

Reply 1 of 4, by HzDonut

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Additional searching I came up with...

1. Still unconfirmed.

2. Will pay for a bios chip replacement off of ebay. (Hoping the seller in Taiwan knows what to send)

3. Plug and play at this point if I'm ordering a pre-flashed chip I guess.

Reply 2 of 4, by computerguy08

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can answer a few questions for you.

1.It probably depends on what BIOS chips Soyo used at the time. If you stick with known brands (like Atmel), you should be fine.

2.Being a 440BX board, it's very likely using a 2Mbit chip, like most boards at the time.

You can find more info about this board here:
http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboard/show/4694

I have also attached a BIOS file for your board below.
POST string: 11/18/1999-i440BX-W977TF-2A69KS2CC-00

Filename
6ba-2b1.rar
File size
142.2 KiB
Downloads
31 downloads
File license
Public domain
Last edited by computerguy08 on 2020-09-29, 14:11. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 4, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Most BIOS EEPROMS used on 686 class machines are compatible.
Most likely the manufacturer used at least pin compatible chips on all of their Pentium II/III boards. I'll guess you have a 95% chance when going with one of the board's variants' EEPROMS as long as it has the same foorprint.
If you have any other working board with a pin compatible chip you can use that board to perform a hotflash. I revived dozens of scrap motherboards without EEPROMS like this. I only ever encountered two boards that didn't work 100% with a random pin compatible EEPROM but required one of a few specific chips to write ESCD.

Reply 4 of 4, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a Soyo SY-6BA currently running a P3-500 under BIOS version BA-2B1, the bios chip is an MX 28F2000TPC-12CA T9807 [under the Award PCI/PNP 686 sticker] and have never had an issue with it since I got it used with a P2-333 in about 2002. Have not had to replace the caps yet but it does get used once in a while....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun