VOGONS

First post, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some of my older retro build with AT and similar layouts are going to be built in low cost ATX cases, simply because of lack of availability of suitable AT cases. Can anyone direct me to a source of AT io shields? My house gets so dusty that a big air gap at the rear of the cases will lead to large dust build-ups in the cases, and it's over a year since I missed the last AT backplane on ebay, which I could have used as a template to get more made.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 1 of 17, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Simple solution is to 3D print it. With adddional holes for COM, LPT and PS/2. There was topic on vogons with completed 3D model.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 17, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-09-28, 22:17:

Simple solution is to 3D print it. With adddional holes for COM, LPT and PS/2. There was topic on vogons with completed 3D model.

That would be OK if I had the money and desk space for a 3D printer 😀

Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 3 of 17, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You aware there are quite a lot of companies now that will print your stuff?

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 4 of 17, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-09-28, 22:54:

You aware there are quite a lot of companies now that will print your stuff?

That should work, but some care has to be taken. I am on the exact same boat (have an AT board on an ATX case) so I paid a company to 3D print the shield. It arrived and it looked OK, however they printed it on PLA (it's a biodegradable plastic) which is not flexible enough, and is kind of brittle, so when trying to insert the shield on the case, it broke. In the end, I bought blank ATX shields on aliexpress (they have not arrived yet) and will use the 3d-printed one as a template to open the holes I need using a dremel. It will not look as pretty, but it's more cost-effective for me.

Reply 5 of 17, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had no idea I could get one printed. Following @aha2940's comments, is there a preferred type of plastic I should aim for that most printers should have? I know nothing about 3D printers 😀 I'll try to find the post you mentioned.

Reply 6 of 17, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
debs3759 wrote on 2020-09-28, 23:47:

I had no idea I could get one printed. Following @aha2940's comments, is there a preferred type of plastic I should aim for that most printers should have? I know nothing about 3D printers 😀 I'll try to find the post you mentioned.

This is the thread: ATX I/O shield models for 3D printing regarding material, maybe nylon would work. I think it's better if you ask the 3D-printing company which material would suit you best.

Reply 7 of 17, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
debs3759 wrote on 2020-09-28, 23:47:

Cool to see there's still interest in those models 😀

Amongst the commonly available materials, I'd definitely go for PETG:

- Way more ductile than PLA, somewhat better than ABS. Nylon is even better in this respect though.
- No warping, as opposed to ABS, nylon, ASA.
- Keeps dimensions really well, no need to scale the model to compensate for shrinking, as opposed to ABS, nylon, ASA, etc.
- No risk of paint solvents dissolving the plastic, as opposed to ABS, PLA, ASA, if you want to apply conductive paint or something. Be aware that some preparations might be needed to get paint to adhere well to PETG though.
- Great finish, on par with PLA prints.
- ABS and nylon might be a little bit stiffer, but PETG is stiff enough for this application.

Any print shop should be able to print in PETG.

Reply 8 of 17, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe we could re-design the backplates like the ones I altered here? They have a taller edge area so that even PLA is able to flex sufficiently with it, the grips are reduced a bit too.

Printing up the backplates in PETG would be great though as that solves the flexibility issue. The thickness might need to be increased slightly to increase the rigidity of the central part of the backplate

Reply 10 of 17, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks everyone. kaputnik is printing a few for me at a very favourable price, so I am sorted now.

Reply 11 of 17, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Thermalwrong wrote on 2020-09-29, 12:15:

Maybe we could re-design the backplates like the ones I altered here? They have a taller edge area so that even PLA is able to flex sufficiently with it, the grips are reduced a bit too.

Printing up the backplates in PETG would be great though as that solves the flexibility issue. The thickness might need to be increased slightly to increase the rigidity of the central part of the backplate

Just did some adjustments for PLA printing, more about it here 😀

Reply 13 of 17, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bancho wrote on 2020-10-01, 08:39:
I picked up a 3D printed IO Shield which arrived today. I don't know what material was used but it seems really good and never s […]
Show full quote

I picked up a 3D printed IO Shield which arrived today. I don't know what material was used but it seems really good and never seemed brittle.

ZQo6MUYl.jpg

This looks good! do you mind sharing where you bought it from?

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 14 of 17, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MMaximus wrote on 2020-10-01, 09:08:
Bancho wrote on 2020-10-01, 08:39:
I picked up a 3D printed IO Shield which arrived today. I don't know what material was used but it seems really good and never s […]
Show full quote

I picked up a 3D printed IO Shield which arrived today. I don't know what material was used but it seems really good and never seemed brittle.

ZQo6MUYl.jpg

This looks good! do you mind sharing where you bought it from?

Sure, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Customis … 872.m2749.l2649

Reply 16 of 17, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just order blank shields from Russia via ebay. Simple enough to bore/cut out the holes you need in the proper dimensions, but the only hard part would be doing the fine cutting required to add grounding tabs, if you care to do that at all.

b_ldnt2.gif - Where it's always 1995.
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.

Reply 17 of 17, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mister Xiado wrote on 2020-10-03, 16:05:

I just order blank shields from Russia via ebay. Simple enough to bore/cut out the holes you need in the proper dimensions, but the only hard part would be doing the fine cutting required to add grounding tabs, if you care to do that at all.

If I was going to have other uses for that size drill bit, that would be a sensible option, but at my age I'm unlikely to start getting in to DIY. The price kaputnik has given me for the few he printed out is probably cheaper anyway. Thanks for the suggestion though, I'll look for blank shields and see if anyone I know has a large enough drill bit if I ever need more.

I'm thinking that they will be grounded by the case as well.