VOGONS

First post, by Lummox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, first thing, sorry for my English, I am a Spanish using google-translator 😜

I have two GA-5AX motherboards, one of them works perfectly, I have the problem with the other, which shows no sign of life.

I put the same components (CPU, ram, graphics card ...) of the motherboard that works on the one that does not work. But it does not show video signal.

The CPU fan works, the heatsink heats up, but does not display anything on the screen, nor does a beep sound from the pc-speaker.

It does not look like any cut tracks, the capacitors do not look swollen or in bad condition, in fact the condition of the board looks very good.

One of the things I have done has been to remove the bios from the board that works to put it on the board that is broken, but it has not worked either.

What tests could I do to try to resurrect the motherboard?

Thank you very much for everything and best regards.

Reply 1 of 5, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did you configure the non working motherboard to run the CPU you installed ? There should be DIP switches nearby the ATX connector, checkout here for more details http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboard/show/2756

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 2 of 5, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

First you can buy a POST diagnostics card and see if this will give any hints.
If it doesn't you can start probing various transistors with a multimeter to see wether they output plausible voltages.
After that you can use an oscilloscope to probe clock signals and data lines.
As a last effort you can start randomly replacing capacitors and ICs.

I hope this helps but I wouldn't count on quick success with repairing this board.

Reply 3 of 5, by Lummox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Deksor wrote on 2020-09-29, 20:21:

Did you configure the non working motherboard to run the CPU you installed ? There should be DIP switches nearby the ATX connector, checkout here for more details http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboard/show/2756

Yes, both motherboards are configured in the same way., both the switches and the jumpers.

Doornkaat wrote on 2020-09-29, 21:08:
First you can buy a POST diagnostics card and see if this will give any hints. If it doesn't you can start probing various trans […]
Show full quote

First you can buy a POST diagnostics card and see if this will give any hints.
If it doesn't you can start probing various transistors with a multimeter to see wether they output plausible voltages.
After that you can use an oscilloscope to probe clock signals and data lines.
As a last effort you can start randomly replacing capacitors and ICs.

I hope this helps but I wouldn't count on quick success with repairing this board.

Of those options, I can buy a diagnostic board and see if it returns any results. I can also change capacitors, even measure transistors. But the rest of the tests, I do not have material (I do not have an oscilloscope or soldering equipment to solder ICs)

I'm going to try buying a diagnostic board, which are not expensive, and see if it shows me any results on where to start.

When it arrives, I will post results.

Thanks for the help!

Reply 4 of 5, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Good luck!
Personally I expect a failed transistor or even a large IC to be the issue so if the POST card doesn't identify the problem the board may be a future project for when you have honed your skills a bit. 😀

Reply 5 of 5, by Lummox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you very much! I have already ordered the diagnostic board, in a few days, when it arrives, I will put results.

I hope that the repair is something that is within my skills.

I will inform, thanks and greetings !.