VOGONS

First post, by Hedgie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey all,

I had a bunch of old computer equipment for a while but ended up getting rid of most of it. I decided to keep my I-lamp and some scsi drives assuming I could get a solution to use ether with a modern machine or the I-lamp. Well I ended up hitting a few snags when I went to find a solution today. The first is my modern rig is a micro atx board and case which doesn't have enough room for another card. The second is I can't seem to find a pcie scsi card or a usb to scsi solution. I even looked to see if I could use a pi as a scsi controller but only came up with a scsi pi emulator. This acts like a drive and not a host. So am I out of luck and have to build a retro machine that can handle scsi? Did I simply miss something in my searches? Thankfully if I am stuck building a new retro machine I'm not completely out of options. I actually found a mystery socket 7 board in my old pile. But the issue is the board is not known. The box it came in is for a Antec MB-5981. But turns out that isn't the board in the box. It looks like a cheaper or older model in the line that uses the VIA Apollo VPX. The MB-5981 used the MVP3 chipset and had an AGP port. Also I have an Athlon MP 2800+ laying around too. But nothing else at this time.

Thanks for whoever replies back

Hedgie

Reply 1 of 11, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

PCI Express SCSI controllers do exist. I found some under 100 US$ (with shipping to US) on a certain auction site .
Another option is to get a legacy PCI controller (based on an Adaptec 2930 or 2940, for example) and use a PCI to PCI Express bridge/converter, like this https://www.amazon.ca/StarTech-com-PEX1PCI1-E … /dp/B0024CV3SA/ .

You do not mention whether you want to a) recover DATA from these drives or b) actually try to use them on a modern setup . I would not recommend option b) for speed, reliability and noise considerations.

P.S. Be careful when buying controllers . From an electrical compatibility standpoint, parallel SCSI hardware is either a) HVD (High Voltage Differential) or b) LVD (Low Voltage Differential)/SE (Single Ended) . LVD and SE hardware can be used together (at the highest common supported speed), but HVD will only work with HVD controllers/drives . Do not mix a) and b) type SCSI hardware or you will free something (unless you use a type of rare and expensive level converter whose name I forget). HVD is/was relatively uncommon, except on some high end systems . You may already know all this, but better be safe than sorry .

Reply 2 of 11, by Hedgie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Makes it sound like it's easier just to build a scsi solution with an older computer then try and get scsi devices to work with modern stuff. As for data recovery. That's not as important right now as most of this stuff is for fun.

Reply 3 of 11, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Hedgie wrote on 2020-10-01, 01:01:

Makes it sound like it's easier just to build a scsi solution with an older computer then try and get scsi devices to work with modern stuff. As for data recovery. That's not as important right now as most of this stuff is for fun.

My experience accessing a SCSI drive using an Adaptec 2930-CU under Windows 7 was pretty straightforward, AFAICR (it has been a few years).

I understand that DATA recovery is not a priority for you, but if you have anything you want to recover, I suggest that you do it sooner rather later and that you do it before playing around with drives that may have DATA you want to recover .

If getting old SCSI drives working on a retro system feels like fun to you, go for it . Retro disks (SCSI or otherwise) are not my cup of tea, personally (except for the exceptional DATA recovery endeavour), but I have no doubt they bring great joy to some people .

The only thing I think you should keep in mind before going SCSI in a retro system is that, beyond the "novelty" of having gotten it to work, is it practical to use .

In other words, is it worth it for you to try to get old, probably noisy, likely unreliable, possibly small capacity drives working for everyday retro use ?

Only you can answer that . Choose wisely and, most importantly, have fun !

Cheers!

Reply 4 of 11, by Hedgie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh I'm guessing you think these are hard drives. Nope it's more exotic stuff! course good old zip drives. But also JAZZ, ORB, and a Bernoulli drive. I don't have an SCSI HDDs laying around. Even when I had my old systems it was IDE.

Reply 5 of 11, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Hedgie wrote on 2020-10-01, 01:58:

Oh I'm guessing you think these are hard drives. Nope it's more exotic stuff! course good old zip drives. But also JAZZ, ORB, and a Bernoulli drive. I don't have an SCSI HDDs laying around. Even when I had my old systems it was IDE.

These make more practical sense in a retro build, IMHO .

Reply 6 of 11, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have an adaptec 2930 PCI SCSI card for use with my Zip Plus Drive (parallel + SCSI). It works well for what I want it, in SCSI mode is almost as fast as the internal ATAPI one I also have and use it for moving files from a new-ish WinXP build to the oldie ones that only have parallel port or the SCSI card.

Reply 7 of 11, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
darry wrote on 2020-10-01, 01:54:

In other words, is it worth it for you to try to get old, probably noisy, likely unreliable, possibly small capacity drives working for everyday retro use ?

absolutely, that's vital to the retro experience

Reply 8 of 11, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
maxtherabbit wrote on 2020-10-01, 12:49:
darry wrote on 2020-10-01, 01:54:

absolutely, that's vital to the retro experience

It definitely can be a major, even vital part of the retro experience, if you want it to be .

I personally decided to pass on retro PSUs, retro mass storage (still use floppies) and most retro displays (no room for CRTs, no nostalgia for old VGA monitors, but would still like a 15KHz monitor for non PC use because I like the aesthetic).

Reply 9 of 11, by Hedgie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Mean you can use a modern psu with retro gear. There's adapters for older AT boards. Plus I'm going to use a SD to IDE apter for storage. Finally yes I don't like CRTs. The noise the gave off and the eye strain UH. I stick to LCD as much as I Can.

Reply 10 of 11, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Hedgie wrote on 2020-10-01, 14:07:

Mean you can use a modern psu with retro gear. There's adapters for older AT boards. Plus I'm going to use a SD to IDE apter for storage. Finally yes I don't like CRTs. The noise the gave off and the eye strain UH. I stick to LCD as much as I Can.

There is almost no wrong way to do it, as long as it works for you . My main annoyance with old hard drives is the grating sound of worn bearings. These drives did not sound like that when new, so I do not see the nostalgia factor . Just my 2 cents .