VOGONS

First post, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I ordered a new old stock Asus V7700Pro (OEM, AGP 32mb) to replace the Voedoo 3 3000 AGP in my Pentium III machine.

When I had the V3 in, no issues whatsoever. I had the FSB overclocked from 133 to 145 so the CPU was running at 950mhz. Nothing was crashing and everything was sweet.

Now that I've swapped over the video cards I've been having some perplexing issues. I'll start from the top.

As soon as I swapped over the card and booted up, straight away I saw that the usually colorful motherboard splash screen (Award BIOS) was greyscale. Same with the bios menus. The Windows loading screen was color, then in Windows (98SE) it's greyscale again UNTIL I installed drivers.

I didn't think TOO much of it, then I started benchmarking. 3dmark99 finished at 1280x1024 resolution - 4679 3Dmarks and 9695 CPU 3Dmarks. I recall getting about 3000~ 3D marks from the Voodoo so I assumed this was all good. I tried 3Dmark 2000 next which failed.

I rebooted, decided to run some games to see what was happening. I ran Unreal (gold) which was -fine- but seemed a bit glitchy/warpy. Framerates didn't look too crash hot... then it crashed and bluescreened with a VXD driver error.

Next I tried out NFS Porsche unleashed - it would crash instantly in the main menu after hearing a bit of sound. I googled this issue and it happens to a lot of systems out there. I tried to patch it with the 3.5 patch which made things better but only for a few seconds.

So I said f it, and formatted/reinstalled Win98.

I started with some early nvidia drivers, then installed the Vortex 1 drivers and NEC usb/usb storage driver 3.3 and the VIA chipset drivers from a CD. Once it was all up and running I tried out NFS porsche again - same issue! I tried the update, same problem.

Stressing out, I tried a whole bunch of motherboard settings in the bios, nothing seemed to change anything.

I saw that I was running on a potentially older BIOS on the mobo so I updated to the latest one I could find (7vba2001 to 7vba2aa7) - I thought this was the ticket to success because all of a sudden the colors came back to the boot screens... but no. Porsche was still crashing and after the inevitable reboot, greyscale was back.

So I went to bed after screwing around for 6 hours or so and then when I got back home last night I started over again.

On this boot with a clearer mind, I saw that AGP was using IRQ 11 and same with my sound card... so I swapped PCI ports on the sound card, it became IRQ 10. I felt this could help. Considering the amount of driver screw-around I had done the previous night I formatted and started AGAIN.

Install Win98, Installed USB card/USB storage driver/Sound/Graphics... Things were looking great! Before changing PCI slots I could get a max refresh rate of 85hz on the video output, now it was max 144hz.

I ran the benchmarks again but it was scoring a little lower. I tried out NFS:PU again - it all worked!! framerates didn't see too good but hey. I played for a few hrs, then decided to try out Unreal and a few other games to test again. Quake 2 also was working.

Things were good until I decided to look around at benchmarks online to see what other people were getting. I loaded up a video of PhilsComputerLab which was looking at driver release vs performance. My best benchmark in Q2 was 60fps at 640x480 with opengl. Phil was getting 180+. This didn't feel right.

I remembered that I didn't install any of the VIA 4in1 this time around (W98se still installs them by default) so away I went and installed 4.35 (i think?) from the internet - Quake 2 benchmarks jumped from 60 to 130fps. Not nearly as fast as Phils' (he was running a 1000mhz P3 and likely the 64mb Geforce 2 GTS) but still a great improvement. I tried out 3dmark99 again, this time I got an extra 600 3dmark points. Quake 3 was getting like 90fps.

Trying out NFS:PU again - I got into the menus, loaded my save, started to race... BAM it crashed.

I turned off my PC and went to bed. Now I'm at work wondering wtf am I gonna do. I think I've tried everything and I don't want to sacrifice 60% of the card's performance just to play 1 game.

TL;DR:

Need for Speed Porsche Unleashed seems to only work on my GF2Pro 32mb if there are no VIA 4in1 chipset drivers installed. Once installed, everything runs fine except NFS Porsche which crashes 100% of the time. Performance is overall doo-doo without the VIA 4in1.

Last edited by foil_fresh on 2020-10-01, 16:49. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 4, by hwh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The Voodoo works with the VIA chipset drivers and NFS but not the Geforce 2? I don't know what's at fault but it seems like you've done what you can do with this hardware combination.

Reply 2 of 4, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK so I have made a big leap forward -the Turtle Beach Montego (Vortex 1) was the problem, or at the very least the compatibility with whatever sound system setup that is in NFS:PU. I had no idea it could be this weird.

Up to that point I had tried 3 sets of Vortex 1 drivers, but I decided to heck it and try another sound card as that was kinda the only thing I hadn't done yet. I used my 2nd AW744 card and bingo, NFS:PU loaded without hanging first go. I've played 4 or so races so far and things are very nice. No benchmarking done yet but I think it should be reasonable.

It's a real shame because audio quality was really nice on the Vortex. I guess now I have the advantage of the nice wavetable and FM. I'm glad I bought 2 of these cards.

Lesson learnt: it's always the sound card??? (I've had a lot of PCI sound card issues with my builds, this is another weird one).

Reply 4 of 4, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
evasive wrote on 2020-10-01, 13:48:

I'd check the condition of your power supply too. If the capacitors are on the way out, the additional strain of the new video card may topple it over.

I plan to get a new PSU soon - everything else in this PC is NOS except RAM and motherboard (case is a fat short ATX beige style with some nice blue trimming). I hope to keep it running as long as I can 😀

Some benchmarks:

3dmark 99 benchmark @ 1280x1024 16bpp - 5202 3dmarks and 11143 CPU 3dmarks
3dmark 2000 benchmark @ 1024x768 16bpp - 5350 3dmarks
3dmark 2000 benchmark @ 1280x1024 16bpp - 4929 3dmarks
quake2 @ 1280x960 16bpp - 85fps
quake2 @ 1024x768 16bpp - 135fps
quake3 all high settings demo001 @ 1280x1024 32bpp - 28fps
quake3 all high settings demo001 @ 1024x768 32bpp - 45fps
quake3 all high settings demo001 @ 1280x1024 16bpp - 43fps
quake3 all high settings demo001 @ 1024x768 16bpp - 64fps
Expendable high settings @ 1024x768 16bpp - 46fps
Expendable high settings @ 1280x1024 16bpp - 46fps
Unreal Gold high settings @ 640x480 16bpp- 51fps
Unreal Gold high settings @ 1024x768 32bpp- 37fps
Unreal Gold high settings @ 1280x768 32bpp- 31fps

If anyone has some similar builds could they post up some results? If you have an i815 or 440bx I'm quite interested to see the differences.