VOGONS

First post, by my03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all,

I have this model 30/286 (it was my first ever pc back in the day and i bought all the pieces (corresponding) back, with some extras on top. The system now (base 1MB) has an additional 4MB EMS expansion board (Acculogic RamPat! at+), an 287xl co-pro (because, why not....) and i replaced the 1287 (dead) with a new maxim 12887+ (2 months ago).

It has worked flawlessly up until now. The last thing i did was that i installed the RamPat driver in order to enable EMS on it (found here: http://ibm-pc.org/drivers/memory/memory.htm). Now, after this was installed (and i lost 44kb conventional ram during this) the computer started to throw 162 and 163 errors at me. This would normally indicate cmos-battery issues which is weird, given that the 12887+ is relatively new.

The super odd thing is that after booting (and getting these errors), the date is still correct, but the time is off (basically shows 0.12.13,14 or similar). If the date is kept between boots, but the time is not, then why would it behave like that? I have tried several times to run the reference disk and auto configure the system, then warm and cold rebooting it, but the result is always the same (date correct, time not correct).

Is the 12887+ not 100% compatible with this system? Could the RamPat card interfere somehow with it?

Before tearing it apart, i thought that i could ask here because potentially someone might have had similar issues.

thx

Dan