VOGONS

First post, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Say I have a wide 68pin controller card connected to the LVD or ultra160 or ultra320 drives? I know about the proper adapters in between on each drive.

Just wanted to know for sure this was from one of the thread's post that talked about cross compatibility between controller card and drives.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 1 of 5, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pentiumspeed wrote on 2020-10-01, 20:40:

Say I have a wide 68pin controller card connected to the LVD or ultra160 or ultra320 drives? I know about the proper adapters in between on each drive.

Just wanted to know for sure this was from one of the thread's post that talked about cross compatibility between controller card and drives.

Cheers,

LVD and SE devices (cards and disks) of various speed ratings will talk to each other . Use passive adapters if necessary and terminate appropriately . The max speed on a given SCSI chain will be the highest speed supported by all devices .

HVD disks and controllers will only play nice among themselves,unless using special activeadapters/converters to allow communication with LVD or SE . Without such adapters/converters, something will fry if HVD and LVD/SE are connected together .

Reply 2 of 5, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Use an Adaptec 2940U2W
It has an integrated bridge chip AIC-3860Q
That means when you use SE and LVD devices on the same controller, the LVD devices aren't slowed down to SE compatiblity mode.
Extending a SCSI bus with Adaptec AIC-3860Q (2940U2W and more)

Reply 3 of 5, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Disruptor wrote on 2020-10-01, 23:04:
Use an Adaptec 2940U2W It has an integrated bridge chip AIC-3860Q That means when you use SE and LVD devices on the same control […]
Show full quote

Use an Adaptec 2940U2W
It has an integrated bridge chip AIC-3860Q
That means when you use SE and LVD devices on the same controller, the LVD devices aren't slowed down to SE compatiblity mode.
Extending a SCSI bus with Adaptec AIC-3860Q (2940U2W and more)

Thank you. Good to know.