VOGONS

is this pc good?

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 59, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, waste of silicon might be a bad way of putting it. It was more a thought of not expecting the same boost from a Core2 or Pentium D in Win98 as you would've had over a P4 in an SMP capable os

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 41 of 59, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

C2D blows away a P4 in performance on Win98 even though it's only utilizing a single core. Core improvements grant a huge benefit over the P4.

Reply 42 of 59, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Shagittarius wrote on 2020-10-05, 16:17:

C2D blows away a P4 in performance on Win98 even though it's only utilizing a single core. Core improvements grant a huge benefit over the P4.

Yes, yes it does. P4 was an absolute turd IPC-wise.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 43 of 59, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-10-05, 06:56:

A Geforce PCX 5750 would be good (PCI-E Geforce FX 5700)

Or you could always go with an ATI X800 series.

Technically, you could go up to a Geforce 7900GTX or the Quadro equivalent

Do PCI-e cards work in Win9x, then?

Reply 45 of 59, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would definitely recommend a WinXP PC for 2003 games. However I remember playing Morrowind on my P3 666 with 384 MB ram and at first a Kyro 2 and later a geforce 3 for pretty water and it ran well enough for me. Curious what I'd think about the performance now.

Reply 47 of 59, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Shit ATI drivers, mobile graphics chip. Likely worse but unknown what your definition of "better" is. It might work for your purposes.

/EDIT Use it and you'll see. Alot of us lived through those times. ATI was pretty rough back then. There is a reason Nvidia was on top and still is.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2020-10-06, 20:32. Edited 3 times in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 49 of 59, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The ATI drivers were pretty bad back then. Might not be as much of an issue now that we have easier access to all the driver versions.

Then again, nVidia drivers were not all that great either... and then nVidia also released drivers to cheat on benchmarks as well.

Remember back in the day where you would want specific driver versions for specific games?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 51 of 59, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
matthi321 wrote on 2020-10-06, 20:25:

would an IBM ThinkPad T40 or t41 with a ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 be better than the pentium4 mx 440 pc?

The Mobility 7500 will be much slower than a Geforce 4 mx 440 I believe. That said I had a Compaq laptop with that Mobility 7500 w/64mb of dedicated VRAM and a 1.8ghz 533fsb Northwood core P4 and it ran Quake 3 @ 1024x768 at around 80-140fps with max details, which I thought was pretty dang good. Used Riva Tuner to OC the crap out of it to get the 140fps.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 52 of 59, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeh we played Quake 3 and UT on our laptops after work back in 2002-2005, which had a P3 and ATI Mobility.
It´s a laptop first and foremost keep that in mind with your expectations but it will run games of the era, maybe just not at full detail.
Good thing with the docking station is you can attach it to your existing keyboard, screen, etc then easily put it away when not using it, unlike a full on PC

Reply 53 of 59, by matthi321

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i just found my brothers old pc will i be able to install 98 se on this and are their drivers for all the hardware?

acer aspire t135A- sb7z
mobo: k8vm800mae
cpu:amd sempron 3000+
gpu:radeon 9200 se
2gb ram
160gb hdd

Reply 54 of 59, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
matthi321 wrote on 2020-10-14, 10:15:

i just found my brothers old pc will i be able to install 98 se on this and are their drivers for all the hardware?

Looks good
I'm assuming the MAE is the OEM variant of the K8VM800M of which drivers are here
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-K8VM8 … pport-dl-driver

Radeon 9200 se
https://www.philscomputerlab.com/ati-9x-driver-archive.html

Should be enough to get you started! 😀

Reply 56 of 59, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

160GB is fine, although I'd create smaller partitions. On all my builds I give Win98 a 4GB partition, a nice large partition for games and another "recovery" partition with windows cab files, drivers, etc
2GB is definitely not needed and will probably even cause problems, but you can either reduce the ram (best option) or patch/tweaks exist to force windows to work with high amounts of ram

Reply 57 of 59, by matthi321

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok are their tutorials for creationg smaller partions and patch the ram? will their be problem with games if i patch the ram?
i tried to use the 512 ram stick from the dell pc but it would not fit on the mobo. how can i tell if i buy some ram online if it will fit on the mobo?

Reply 58 of 59, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Fdisk
https://youtu.be/satl8PNW_DI

However you'll want to use a WinME bootdisk as it's version of fdisk supports larger drives
https://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

Once you create the partitions reboot using your Win98 disk/CD and carry on as normal

Ram
Easiest way is probably the RLoew patch. It has instructions in the zip but no youtube video I'm afraid
His family kindly made this freeware when the creator passed away, so its obviously no longer supported
https://archive.org/details/PATCHMEM

The good thing is 2GB should still install Windows without crashing IFAIK it just struggles to address it all.
Some games may have issues, you can "eat up " ram with a ramdisk which is what I do but worry about that after you have the system up and running 😀

That motherboard takes DDR400 PC3200 RAM. It doesn't have dual channel or anything like that so no need to install in pairs.