VOGONS

First post, by itallstartedin94

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all!

Some time ago, I came in possession of a PB oem board the MS-6168 (You know, the Slot1 with Voodoo3 onboard).
It was still inside it's orginal case, but that was beyond repair.

The board itself was in really bad shape as well: Leaking caps, rusty connectors and the fan cooling the Voodoo3 was missing bits and stuck. The heatsink underneath it was heavily rusted and had a crack in the middle of it.

So, I went on to repair the board. Recapped the whole board, removed the heatsink+cooler from the Voodoo chip and cleaned everything up.
I was really relieved to see the board happy running the POST, everything worked!

But I quickly shut it down, because the Voodoo didn't have any cooling.

Now, I thought ordering a new chipset cooler would be easy (I know it was many years ago), but it really wasn't (at least over here in the Netherlands).
After a long search, I found out that Akasa is still making brand new coolers. So I ordered this one: http://www.akasa.com.tw/update.php?tpl=produc … model=AK-210-BK

But, it's way too high! If I place it, the P3 Slot 1 cpu that came with it can't be installed beacuse the chipset cooler is too high. The heatsink of the P3 is quite big.

I really can't find any suitable replacement for the Akasa chipset cooler. I've looked around eBay, but the best candidates are coming from the US and the shipping is sometimes over €80..

Now, I have the fan removed from the chipset cooler, leaving only the heatsink. While it is a perfect fit, I'm not really comfortable running it with only a heatsink.

Or can I? I have no idea how hot it can become over time or under load. This is sort of my first Voodoo card ..

Thanks!

IMG_20200508_105131.jpg
Filename
IMG_20200508_105131.jpg
File size
1.32 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
Last edited by itallstartedin94 on 2020-10-04, 08:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 16, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What are the original cooler's dimensions? 4mm0*40mm*8mm?
Is the heatsink itself cracked or the fan?
Edit: In case the heatsink is still ok, this may be a suitable fan repalcement. Check the dimensions vs. the broken fan and heatsink.
Edit2: You can probably get by using a passive heatsink on the Avenger chip if you use a CPU cooler that'll blow a lot of air over it. The active cooler is probably a precaution in case the CPU cooler blocks ventilation over the Avenger chip.

Last edited by Doornkaat on 2020-10-04, 08:57. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 16, by itallstartedin94

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2020-10-04, 08:47:

In case the heatsink is still ok, this may be a suitable fan repalcement. Check the dimensions vs. the broken fan and heatsink.

I really have no idea about the original dimensions since I've thrown out the old fan+heatsink long time ago. Silly me.

The heatsink itself was cracked and split in half and the fan was missing a lot of blades, so I didn't give it much thought when I removed it and threw it away.

Do you think only a heatsink will provide enough cooling?

Reply 3 of 16, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
itallstartedin94 wrote on 2020-10-04, 08:56:
I really have no idea about the original dimensions since I've thrown out the old fan+heatsink long time ago. Silly me. […]
Show full quote

In case the heatsink is still ok, this may be a suitable fan repalcement. Check the dimensions vs. the broken fan and heatsink.

I really have no idea about the original dimensions since I've thrown out the old fan+heatsink long time ago. Silly me.

The heatsink itself was cracked and split in half and the fan was missing a lot of blades, so I didn't give it much thought when I removed it and threw it away.

I edited my previous post not knowing you already replied. My bad.
You can probably get by using only a passive heatsink on the Avenger if your CPU cooler blows sufficient air over it.
What active cooler can be used on the chip depends on what space there is around it. Can you measure wether a 45mm*45mm square or even 50mm*50mm may fit without colliding with components like the crystal?

Reply 4 of 16, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you have enough space for a 45mm cooler this should do the trick.
I believe you should be able to fit it if you mount it acentric slightly towards the ram slots and and video ram so it won't collide with the crystal and retention mount.

Reply 5 of 16, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
itallstartedin94 wrote on 2020-10-04, 08:33:
Hi all! […]
Show full quote

Hi all!

Some time ago, I came in possession of a PB oem board the MS-6168 (You know, the Slot1 with Voodoo3 onboard).

The board itself was in really bad shape as well: Leaking caps, rusty connectors and the fan cooling the Voodoo3 was missing bits and stuck. The heatsink underneath it was heavily rusted and had a crack in the middle of it.

So, I went on to repair the board. Recapped the whole board, removed the heatsink+cooler from the Voodoo chip and cleaned everything up.
I was really relieved to see the board happy running the POST, everything worked!

Now, I thought ordering a new chipset cooler would be easy (I know it was many years ago), but it really wasn't (at least over here in the Netherlands).
After a long search, I found out that Akasa is still making brand new coolers. So I ordered this one: http://www.akasa.com.tw/update.php?tpl=produc … model=AK-210-BK

But, it's way too high! If I place it, the P3 Slot 1 cpu that came with it can't be installed beacuse the chipset cooler is too high. The heatsink of the P3 is quite big.

I really can't find any suitable replacement for the Akasa chipset cooler. I've looked around eBay, but the best candidates are coming from the US and the shipping is sometimes over €80..

Now, I have the fan removed from the chipset cooler, leaving only the heatsink. While it is a perfect fit, I'm not really comfortable running it with only a heatsink.

Or can I? I have no idea how hot it can become over time or under load. This is sort of my first Voodoo card ..

Thanks!
IMG_20200508_105131.jpg

I love mATX socket370/slot1 boards, and I love the voodoo3. That board makes my heart skip a beat. I wonder how rare they are.

Reply 6 of 16, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kolderman wrote on 2020-10-04, 09:16:
itallstartedin94 wrote on 2020-10-04, 08:33:
Hi all! […]
Show full quote

Hi all!

Thanks!
IMG_20200508_105131.jpg

I love mATX socket370/slot1 boards, and I love the voodoo3. That board makes my heart skip a beat. I wonder how rare they are.

Not too common but not really rare as well.
The mATX layout, integrated sound and graphics with reduced memory size (8MB) made the board a budget offering likely aimed at system integrators looking to build cheap but capable entry level multimedia/gaming machines.

Edit:
Btw. another motherboard with onboard Avenger is the A-Trend AT 6254M. Would love to get my hands on one of those but I don't think this is going to happen. 😅
Edit2: I believe ASUS planned but bever released a P3B-V motherboard also sporting the Avenger.

Last edited by Doornkaat on 2020-10-04, 09:45. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 7 of 16, by itallstartedin94

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2020-10-04, 09:01:
I edited my previous post not knowing you already replied. My bad. You can probably get by using only a passive heatsink on the […]
Show full quote
itallstartedin94 wrote on 2020-10-04, 08:56:
I really have no idea about the original dimensions since I've thrown out the old fan+heatsink long time ago. Silly me. […]
Show full quote

I edited my previous post not knowing you already replied. My bad.
You can probably get by using only a passive heatsink on the Avenger if your CPU cooler blows sufficient air over it.
What active cooler can be used on the chip depends on what space there is around it. Can you measure wether a 45mm*45mm square or even 50mm*50mm may fit without colliding with components like the crystal?

Unfortunately, 40x40 is the only thing that would fit.

This is how it looks at the moment, of course when installed in a case, I would install additional case fans.

IMG_20201004_112040.jpg
Filename
IMG_20201004_112040.jpg
File size
1020.77 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
IMG_20201004_112036.jpg
Filename
IMG_20201004_112036.jpg
File size
1.17 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

PS. what do you mean with "Avenger" ?

Reply 8 of 16, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Avenger is the name of the graphics chip used on Voodoo 3 cards.
Are you totally sure you can't mount a 45mm*45mm cooler if you move it diagonally down and to the right a bit? It does not have to be centered on the chip.

Reply 10 of 16, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's probably fine with the passive cooler the way it is. The chip is clocked the same as a Voodoo3 2000 and those are fine with a smaller passive heatsink. The open CPU cooler design will also allow for air moving over the heatsink plus with the board installed vertically in a case hot air can rise more freely this way than on the Voodoo3 2000. Again I assume the active heatsink is a precaution in case the CPU heatsink is blocking air movement over the chip.
Of course any additional air flow won't hurt but I think you're fine as is.

Reply 11 of 16, by itallstartedin94

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2020-10-04, 09:37:

Avenger is the name of the graphics chip used on Voodoo 3 cards.
Are you totally sure you can't mount a 45mm*45mm cooler if you move it diagonally down and to the right a bit? It does not have to be centered on the chip.

Yeah, I'm positive. There are some things in the way..
I think I can reposition the fan on the cooler so it will fit, but it wouldn't be exactly centered on the heatsink.

InkedIMG_20200508_105149_LI.jpg
Filename
InkedIMG_20200508_105149_LI.jpg
File size
1.94 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
kolderman wrote on 2020-10-04, 09:42:

I would just cargo a 80mm horizontally across the top of the slot1 cooler, so it is blowing straight down onto the v3. You get more cooling on both that way.

That's a good suggestion, since the cpu cooler that's installed is really making a lot of noise.
Thanks!

Edit: I just saw your new reply @Doornkaat, I'll just keep a close eye on the temps. The old PB oem case didn't have any case fans or even the space to add one. So I also like to think it was just a precaution.

Thanks to both of you!
(Judging by the nicknames, fellow Dutchmen as well I suppose?)

Reply 13 of 16, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I know about the space constraints. When talking about 45mm coolers I've explicitly suggested moving away from the retention mount and crystal mounting the cooler acentrically. 😉
But again it should be just fine the way it is now.
I'm from Germany but the nickname originates in Frisia. My girlfriend who speaks Dutch just came by and insists I tell you "Stop med hardware kopen zodat je niet wordt zoals mijn vriend. Het is verslavend"
I think I can guess what she said.😅

Reply 14 of 16, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would take the hacksaw and adjust the fins on the CPU hs to make room for the VGA hs+fan. Alternatively, there are some Slot 1 coolers that "taper off" toward the sides, with one of those there might be just enough room for all to fit without modification.

Reply 16 of 16, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
itallstartedin94 wrote on 2020-10-04, 09:33:

This is how it looks at the moment, of course when installed in a case, I would install additional case fans.

I just looked at my Voodoo 3 2000 and its heatsink does not have a fan and is 40 x 40 x 10mm.

It's running at 143 MHz with the resolution being 1600 x 1200 so providing the clock is not higher suspect you don't need a fan at all.

Attachments

• Voodoo 3 2000.png
    Filename
    Voodoo 3 2000.png
    File size
    254.56 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Voogoo 3 2000 stock heatsink
    File license
    Public domain
  • RAA.png