VOGONS

Reply 20 of 26, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
GigAHerZ wrote on 2020-10-12, 17:10:

I usually go with 6.22 and have emm386, himem and edit replaced in from windows 98. 😉

Yep same 😀

Reply 21 of 26, by tjsnhgaming

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
GigAHerZ wrote on 2020-10-12, 17:10:

I usually go with 6.22 and have emm386, himem and edit replaced in from windows 98. 😉

.. that works?
You don't get weird "incorrect dos version" errors all over the place?

Reply 22 of 26, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

nope , doesn't bring up a single error 😀
emm386 and himem had a few bug fixes and switches missing in 6.22
edit just allows you to open more the then 1 document at a time (useful for copy and pasting lines from config.sys to config.bak or whatever)

Reply 23 of 26, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Another thing with edit is, you can use today's normal "ctrl + c" and "ctrl + v", instead of some "random" keys i don't even remember any more...

Yup, at least those parts are totally fine and have no compatibility issues whatsoever.

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 25 of 26, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GigAHerZ wrote on 2020-10-15, 17:54:

Another thing with edit is, you can use today's normal "ctrl + c" and "ctrl + v", instead of some "random" keys i don't even remember any more...

Ctrl+Ins (Copy), Shift+Ins (Paste), Shift+Del (Cut). Apparently they are from IBM Common User Access? They still work to date in Windows and many Linux GUI shells as well.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 26 of 26, by tjsnhgaming

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A big thank you to those who shared thoughts on this - the system is up and running.

I (re)learned quite a bit during the project, planning to sit down and put together a log/guide when I get a chance to try and share the experience I had, some things I expected to be a big challenge ended up being trivial, and some things I had forgotten were problematic ended up almost being show stoppers.