VOGONS

mSATA to IDE Trouble

Topic actions

First post, by Brute389

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dear All,

I am posting because I have been having a heck of a time trying to get an msata ssd to work with my old Fujitsu Stylistic ST 5021. It utilizes an IDE interface, so I went ahead and bought an IDE to mSATA adapter to utilize with the pc. Although the bios detects the mSATA drive, I cannot get easy2boot to load up with it in the pc. I use easy2boot with all my pc's to load OS's; however, I cannot get it to work with this.

Whenever I try to load easy2boot, the splash screen plays, then a black screen pops up with the blinking white line up top, then it dissappears and it is a straight black screen. I have left it sit for 10+ minutes to see if it was loading slow but it seems to just hang up. For reference, I have tried this configuration in a different PC with the same results. Of course, I can get easy2boot to load up the regular IDE HDDs.

In the end, I am asking if anyone can help me with my easy2boot troubles. Of course, I am also willing to consider different adapters I can use for my mSATA ssd; however, I really need some form of IDE to mSATA converter. If anyone wants to know, the controller of the IDE to mSATA adapter is JM20330. Thanks.

Reply 1 of 31, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does it have to be mSATA? usually the easiest way to make old systems use solid state drives is using CF-to-IDE converters, because they are cheap, passive and CF cards are easy to obtain.

Reply 3 of 31, by texterted

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try booting with "Super Fdisk" first to partition and format the drive.

Or do it using another machine, the put it back in.

Cheers

Ted

98se/W2K :- Asus A8v Dlx. A-64 3500+, 512 mb ddr, Radeon 9800 Pro, SB Live.
XP Pro:- Asus P5 Q SE Plus, C2D E8400, 4 Gig DDR2, Radeon HD4870, SB Audigy 2ZS.

Reply 4 of 31, by Brute389

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I tried booting in gparted from a live USB and that did not work as well. It would hang at a black screen with the blinking white line up top.; however, I could boot just fine if the drive was taken out and just booting with the USB in. Makes me wonder whether these ide to mSATA adapters are not possible to boot from!

Reply 5 of 31, by Nvm1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have multiple IDE top mSata adapters in use with no issues, mostly for older laptops.
The last one I used is now in use in an Asus L8400L with a 128GB samsung msata ssd.
It has a win98 fresh install and runs very smooth.

I just googled your specs and it seems your system is native xp so I would expect it to boot without issues with such adapter.
What happens if you attack a floppy and try the win98 floppy and then to CD, does it then work?

Reply 6 of 31, by Brute389

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Question before I dive into what you asked for nvm1, what kind of adapters are you using? Are they the cheap ones that come in plastic? Because I have been reading more that those , which are the ones I have, have compatibility issues due to their chipset, which is the JM20330. I have been doing more research and found that the Marvell chipset is much more compatible from the reviews I have seen.

Reply 10 of 31, by Brute389

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I went ahead and was able to disable Ultra DMA mode, and it worked! Apparently, the JM20330 chipset has issues with the Ultra DMA speeds, so I think suffice to say that these cheaper adapters you see pop up everywhere come at a cost! Thanks so much for the help.

Reply 11 of 31, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Brute389 wrote on 2020-10-09, 02:19:

So I went ahead and was able to disable Ultra DMA mode, and it worked! Apparently, the JM20330 chipset has issues with the Ultra DMA speeds, so I think suffice to say that these cheaper adapters you see pop up everywhere come at a cost! Thanks so much for the help.

UDMA can work fine with JM20330 chips . I have had success with ICH2 (only up to UDMA66 and only with the ESDI_506.PDR driver patched for LBA48, it was hopelessly broken with IAA for me) and a Promise Ultra133 TX2, both under Windows 98 SE .

What IDE controller are you using with your JM20330 adapter ? Can you post a link to a photo of your specific adapter ?

Reply 12 of 31, by Brute389

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-10-09, 02:30:

UDMA can work fine with JM20330 chips . I have had success with ICH2 (only up to UDMA66 and only with the ESDI_506.PDR driver patched for LBA48, it was hopelessly broken with IAA for me) and a Promise Ultra133 TX2, both under Windows 98 SE .

What IDE controller are you using with your JM20330 adapter ? Can you post a link to a photo of your specific adapter ?

So I apologize for the delay; however, I was trying to install XP on it so I could find more information on the adapter. Unofrtunately, the windows installer would not allow me to partition the space on the mSATA attached to the adapter. Interestingly, I could partition the drive using windows installer on a different pc without the adapter. Additionally, I took another msata with an existing XP install, and I installed in into the adapter, but it was unable to detect an operating system. So now I am back to square one on this adapter. In lieu of not having any other information, I will post the link to where I got the adapter from. Thanks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/mSATA-to-2-5-PATA-ID … 872.m2749.l2649

Reply 14 of 31, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Brute389 wrote on 2020-10-10, 04:55:

So I apologize for the delay; however, I was trying to install XP on it so I could find more information on the adapter. Unofrtunately, the windows installer would not allow me to partition the space on the mSATA attached to the adapter. Interestingly, I could partition the drive using windows installer on a different pc without the adapter. Additionally, I took another msata with an existing XP install, and I installed in into the adapter, but it was unable to detect an operating system. So now I am back to square one on this adapter. In lieu of not having any other information, I will post the link to where I got the adapter from. Thanks.

Please also disclose what IDE controller or motherboard (if using an integrated one) you are using . This could be a simple incompatibility between the JM20330 and the controller you are using .

Reply 15 of 31, by Brute389

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-10-11, 03:29:

Please also disclose what IDE controller or motherboard (if using an integrated one) you are using . This could be a simple incompatibility between the JM20330 and the controller you are using .

Unfortunately, I do not have a drive for my Fujitsu Stylistic to boot to find out the IDE controller; however, I can get the IDE controller info for my IBM T42, which is also having problems running the adapter. The IDE controller is Intel 82801DBM Ultra ATA Storage Controller - 24CA.

Reply 16 of 31, by Nvm1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Brute389 wrote on 2020-10-07, 19:49:

Question before I dive into what you asked for nvm1, what kind of adapters are you using? Are they the cheap ones that come in plastic? Because I have been reading more that those , which are the ones I have, have compatibility issues due to their chipset, which is the JM20330. I have been doing more research and found that the Marvell chipset is much more compatible from the reviews I have seen.

I will dig one out I am using. They indeed come with a plastic enclosure, but since I was a bit busy with work I didn't have time before to follow this thread.
The last laptop to got one was an IBM X30 which I will open to check the controller.

Reply 17 of 31, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Brute389 wrote on 2020-10-11, 06:31:

Unfortunately, I do not have a drive for my Fujitsu Stylistic to boot to find out the IDE controller; however, I can get the IDE controller info for my IBM T42, which is also having problems running the adapter. The IDE controller is Intel 82801DBM Ultra ATA Storage Controller - 24CA.

Thank you.
I unfortunately do not have any machines with an ICH4 (82801DBM) to test my adapters with .

Do you have an exact model for that Fujitsu Stylistic ?

Maybe if we can get an informal survey of who actually got a given JM20330 adapter working (or not), on what IDE controller, we could start getting a feel for distinguishing fundamental incompatibilities from those due to specific adapter implementation .

Reply 18 of 31, by Brute389

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-10-11, 13:34:
Thank you. I unfortunately do not have any machines with an ICH4 (82801DBM) to test my adapters with . […]
Show full quote

Thank you.
I unfortunately do not have any machines with an ICH4 (82801DBM) to test my adapters with .

Maybe if we can get an informal survey of who actually got a given JM20330 adapter working (or not), on what IDE controller, we could start getting a feel for distinguishing fundamental incompatibilities from those due to specific adapter implementation .

Yeah, the Fujitsu Stylistic ST 5021 is the laptop in question. I will continue looking on my end to see if i can figure out the IDE controller.

Reply 19 of 31, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Brute389 wrote on 2020-10-12, 01:21:
darry wrote on 2020-10-11, 13:34:
Thank you. I unfortunately do not have any machines with an ICH4 (82801DBM) to test my adapters with . […]
Show full quote

Thank you.

Yeah, the Fujitsu Stylistic ST 5021 is the laptop in question. I will continue looking on my end to see if i can figure out the IDE controller.

According to page 39 of this https://www.manualsearcher.com/fujitsu/stylis … 021/manual?p=49 , the chipset is an Intel 855GME .

According to https://www.intel.com/content/dam/doc/design- … esign-guide.pdf , the 855GME is used with an ICH4-M (mobile ICH4) .

So you have issue with 2 different machines with ICH4 variants .

Some people have definitely had issues with JM20330 base converters, including with ICH4 . See https://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=112081&start=270

A Marvell based option that still seems to be available (hopefully still uses a Marvell chip) is the Lycom ST-173-7 . It is available in the UK from here https://www.scan.co.uk/products/1111111111111 … 5-ide-ssd-drive .

This is NOT an endorsement . I have never tried this adapter or this store . Please be diligent .

EDIT: I was tempted to buy one, but they do not deliver outside of Europe . Anyway, I would have needed an mSATA to SATA adapter like this one https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000517103858.html as I do not have any mSATA drives .