VOGONS

First post, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looking at a compaq AT power supply from mid 90s or so it looks like pretty much normal AT power supply with same connectors and all. I have also seen people say that they are not standard AT power supplies in vogons forums. What is the actual difference between compaq and standard AT power supply? Would it be just matter of changing the order of wires in P1 and P2 motherboard power connectors to make it compatible or is there something else going on?

Reply 1 of 10, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's an example of my Compaq Presario 9232 for reference of the power connector. It is definitely different, but I haven't measured it to see which wires go to where.

6dKvFt2.jpg

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 2 of 10, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In my case the connectors look rather normal and that is why I wondered if just switching the wires in connectors somehow could make it compatible.

compaq-connector.jpg
Filename
compaq-connector.jpg
File size
1.76 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 10, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

wiretap

Here's this 1MB upgrade module for the S3 on the motherboard:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Compaq-213859-001-1MB … jEAAOSwHLtevt7F

This will help with performance of video chip. From 32bits to 64bit which S3 are designed for.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 4 of 10, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Baoran,

Please show picture of motherboard that you want to use compaq power supply on this?

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 5 of 10, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pentiumspeed wrote on 2020-10-06, 16:00:
wiretap […]
Show full quote

wiretap

Here's this 1MB upgrade module for the S3 on the motherboard:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Compaq-213859-001-1MB … jEAAOSwHLtevt7F

This will help with performance of video chip. From 32bits to 64bit which S3 are designed for.

Cheers,

Thanks. I already have that -- it just wasn't installed in the picture because the picture was taken about a month before I found one. What I am still looking for is the MPEG decoder module (Compaq P/N: 213924-001). I've found them already attached to motherboards, but I don't feel like buying a whole $30-40 motherboard just to get the MPEG decoder. 😜

My Github

Reply 7 of 10, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pentiumspeed wrote on 2020-10-06, 16:01:

Baoran,

Please show picture of motherboard that you want to use compaq power supply on this?

Cheers,

Basically I am trying to figure out if it could be modded to be replacement for standard AT power supply. I don't have any specific motherboard I would use it with at the moment, but basically with standard AT motherboards.

Reply 8 of 10, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Baoran wrote on 2020-10-06, 17:46:

Basically I am trying to figure out if it could be modded to be replacement for standard AT power supply. I don't have any specific motherboard I would use it with at the moment, but basically with standard AT motherboards.

Why don't you turn it on with an HDD and maybe some fans plugged to the molex connectors as a load and then measure voltages on the "P1" and "P2" connectors? You can compare those with the regular AT pinout in order to tell the difference.

Reply 9 of 10, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheMobRules wrote on 2020-10-06, 18:16:
Baoran wrote on 2020-10-06, 17:46:

Why don't you turn it on with an HDD and maybe some fans plugged to the molex connectors as a load and then measure voltages on the "P1" and "P2" connectors? You can compare those with the regular AT pinout in order to tell the difference.

So there cannot be anything else about a power supply than voltages that would make it incompatible?

Reply 10 of 10, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pentiumspeed wrote on 2020-10-06, 16:56:

Wiretap, Cool, one more thing, this one has main cache missing but is that not your goal?

No need really. I just use it for Doom/Heretic/Duke3D and a few other things. It was my first family PC that I kept since 1996.

My Github