VOGONS

First post, by Anilocin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I am building my first retro build and I need some help which ethernet card I should buy.

I have bough this hardware so far:
Asus CUV4X + P-iii 733 + 512MB SDRAM + a generic s370 cooler
GF4MX 440 SE 64MB AGP
Creative SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 SB0100 PCI
Toshiba Samsung SH-D162 DVD Drive
1.44 MB FDD
Maxtor 60GB HDD
Corsair CV450 PSU
a few IDE ribbon cables

Can somebody recommend a decent (and decently priced) Ethernet Card with Win9x and 2k/XP support?

I am thankful for any responses!

Medion Titanium MD 9783 (Notebook)
Intel Pentium 4 2.0 Ghz Northwood
2x256mb (512mb) DDR266
ATi Radeon Mobility M6-C32 32MB DDR
Intel i845 Chipset
Avance AC'97 ALC201 Audio
100GB 44pin PATA HDD from Seagate
1024 x 768 LCD

Reply 1 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There is currently a lengthy thread about how the GeForce4 MX is a terrible card for most purposes. But that is a different matter.

Any PCI network card you can find will probably be fine; there's no need to be choosy. If you just want to pick one, then the 3COM 905B seems to be abundant.

Reply 3 of 14, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've got a Linksys LNE100TX in mine, and I've never had any trouble with it. I recall only ever having some issues with a D-Link card years back, which caused me to stick with Linksys cards for years.
Even now, every single router in my house, wired, or wireless, is a Linksys router, and every one of them shares the same color scheme. Because it's awesome. That said, if something clearly superior became available, I wouldn't turn my nose up at it out of some misguided sense of brand loyalty.

b_ldnt2.gif - Where it's always 1995.
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.

Reply 4 of 14, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'd avoid RTL8139-type chips. They have bullet-proof drivers, but CPU usage is high. 3Com Etherlink III cards are a good bet, as are Intel and DEC-based ones. The LNE100TX is a DEC Tulip.

That applies even more with Gigabit cards, they will devour CPU cycles if you're not careful.

Reply 5 of 14, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote on 2020-10-06, 17:02:

I'd avoid RTL8139-type chips. They have bullet-proof drivers, but CPU usage is high. 3Com Etherlink III cards are a good bet, as are Intel and DEC-based ones. The LNE100TX is a DEC Tulip.

That applies even more with Gigabit cards, they will devour CPU cycles if you're not careful.

And don't expect great performance with any Gigabit NIC under Windows 9x , no matter what settings you end up tweaking . See this thread Pentium III + Windows 98, Slow network transfers

Reply 6 of 14, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I use a RTL8169S-32 based NIC (Connectland CR-GIGA-32B sometimes known as CR-CNL-GIGA-32B) in my S7 P133/i430VX rig, so far I haven't noticied any unusual behavior (or high CPU usage for that matter).

I kept it purely because of its wide array of supported OSes (it is supported from Windows 98 all the way up to Windows 10 according to Realtek's website).

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 7 of 14, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use LNE100TX cards primarily for PCI Win9x systems. They are dirt cheap.. A while back I picked up a few NIB on Ebay for $7ea shipped. They have drivers available for wide variety of legacy OS's.

Circuit Board Repair Manuals
Turbo Display Project
Dual Socket 8 Project

Reply 8 of 14, by _UV_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Intel highly available and less troublesome in compatibility and drivers. 3Com now less available and a bit pricey, because of retro tag, and they offer better performance if your CPU is early Pentium or slower. Realtek 8139 (stay away from 8029) if you desperate to find previous two, just beware most of this cards made too cheap and often being dead, and person how trying to sell them most likely never tested them cause it's too cheap to invest time.

Reply 9 of 14, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
_UV_ wrote on 2020-10-07, 06:54:

Intel highly available and less troublesome in compatibility and drivers. 3Com now less available and a bit pricey, because of retro tag, and they offer better performance if your CPU is early Pentium or slower. Realtek 8139 (stay away from 8029) if you desperate to find previous two, just beware most of this cards made too cheap and often being dead, and person how trying to sell them most likely never tested them cause it's too cheap to invest time.

3Com PCI cards pricey? Where? I've never been able to get enough for them to make it my while to sell/ship, so I usually end up dumping them in 'best offer for this box full of crap' piles.

The ISA 3C509 cards are getting sought-after, but the 10/100MbE 905s are common as muck and valued accordingly.

Reply 10 of 14, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Buy it Now price for 3Com has gone up but if wait for a honest listing they can still be had cheap. I got 4 for £4.79 back in May and that guy had 2 other lots that went for about the same price at the time.
Also a fan of Intel Pro/100 cards
Both the above have built in drivers although your better off updating them.

Realtek RTL8139 aren´t sexy but they get the job done, cost next to nothing and drivers are really good. CPU does take a bit of a hit but I dont notice that in real life usage.
Any other brand name card that has drivers should be fine though. Ive used Netgear, Linksys, Broardcom all with good sucsess.

Reply 11 of 14, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Pretty much the only PCI ethernet cards I've used in builds have been Realtek 8139 or Intel Pro 100. I also haven't really noticed a major hit in CPU usage with the 8139 during normal day to day usage.

Reply 13 of 14, by Anilocin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks you very much,

I've gone with a RTL 8139D because I got 2 of them for 4 Euros plus an original driver floppy.

Medion Titanium MD 9783 (Notebook)
Intel Pentium 4 2.0 Ghz Northwood
2x256mb (512mb) DDR266
ATi Radeon Mobility M6-C32 32MB DDR
Intel i845 Chipset
Avance AC'97 ALC201 Audio
100GB 44pin PATA HDD from Seagate
1024 x 768 LCD