VOGONS

First post, by SVD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So as the subject states i have a dead Shuttle Hot-591P V2.0 motherboard. It will not even beep to give error codes. CPU and GPU fan starts, thats about it.
I have verified that there is nothing wrong with anything else than the board. I have an nearly identical (V3.1) board that works that i have tested graphics card, CPU, and RAM on without any problem, i have also tested several of each.
I have also used the same jumper settings between the boards and checked most combinations.
There is no battery on the board.
I have checked with both AT and ATX power supplies. (with correct jumper setting)
I tested the bios chip from the v3.1 board, but it did not make any difference.
I have inspected the board, it looks like new. Might never have been used. (been kept as a spare in a computer shop until i bought it)

Can this be a capacitor problem? is the next step to recap the whole board? I am very sceptical to the 1000uf 6.3v I.Q caps on the board. The V3.1 have 1200uf of the same brand, some are starting to bulge. On the v3.1 that is, all caps looks good on the board that does not work.

Reply 1 of 2, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What hardware (and specifically what CPU) did you test this board with?
This shouldn't matter that much though, seeing you apparently already tried with parts that did work in your alternative board.
But there is obviously something that you have missed, or it would have worked by now.

Do try it with a battery.

Did you notice any differences at all between using the ATX and the AT PSU? After you have started it (running with fans and screen remaining dark), does it shut down if you keep the power switch pressed for >= 4 seconds?

EDIT: It could indeed be a capacitor problem.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 2, by SVD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi 😊
I used two different k6-2 cpus, one 450 and one 500mhz. I tried to set them at different FSB. It did not change anything. This board is pretty much made for this cpus.
I tried a TNT and a Voodoo 5 graphics card

With the ATX I had to start the board by shorting the start pins of course. But it would not shut down after. I had to pull the plug.

Can I check the caps in board for a short. Or is that not the failure type I am looking for ?

I will try with a battery later. The other board had no problem starting without any though.