VOGONS

First post, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Anyone has any idea where to find old xt ide type controller cards? When doing a search for one I only get results for those xt-ide cards that allow you to connect more modern hard drives to old computers. What I am looking for is a card that would allow connecting Seagate ST-325X ide/xt hard drive to a pc.

Reply 2 of 4, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm pretty sure you could use an 8-bit IDE card in an XT, unless it looks at the wrong address to boot?

XT IDE/XTA info: http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/2014/04/t … erface.html?m=1

Example I found on the not to be spoken auction site.. Made by Seagate with the same drive in it you mention. I think the controller is a Seagate ST05X.

8Y44z4E.jpg

Edit, according to Seagate, the ST05X controller works on an IBM XT class computer. ftp://ftp.seagate.com/techsuppt/controllers/st05.txt
This text document isn't the exact board described, but it uses the same disk controller chip, so it should work according to their documentation.

Juko also makes a XT class IDE controller I know of, but I have never come across one. A Philips 8088 board I have has a built in IDE controller. I think it uses the same chip as the Juko if I'm not mistaken.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 3 of 4, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Am386DX-40 wrote on 2020-10-07, 02:26:

There is no such thing. For XT machines, you could have MFM or RLL controller/drives, but not IDE. IDE was born with the AT machines (aka 286+). That's why XT-IDE was created.

IDE/XT and IDE/AT are separate things and are not compatible with each other.

Reply 4 of 4, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Am386DX-40 wrote on 2020-10-07, 02:26:

There is no such thing. For XT machines, you could have MFM or RLL controller/drives, but not IDE. IDE was born with the AT machines (aka 286+). That's why XT-IDE was created.

Of course there is, it's also known as XTA.

OP, maybe this XTA would be a better search term than XT-IDE so that you won't get all the modern XT-IDE results. It's rare though.