VOGONS

First post, by captain_koloth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an old Windows 95 PC with HDDs on both C and D, original Win 95 release. As it's getting to its last legs I imaged the drives and made a PCEm clone of the PC (kind of a cool technology that you can do that now).

The real PC has an issue where I'd say about 50% of the time it will recognize the D drive in the BIOS but it won't appear in Windows. I am able to access D from the DOS prompt, even the one within Windows. Usually rebooting helps this problem and the D drive will then appear normally. I assumed this issue was related to some hardware component failure, but the PCEm clone not only has the same issue but rebooting doesn't help there, so there must be a software problem (that is, some information somewhere on C or D is clearly not configured properly).

I can see D in the DOS prompt in PCEm, but not through the Windows interface. The drive is 2 GB and properly formatted and partitioned. I put it here rather than in emulation since as indicated above I believe the underlying issue is one with the real computer's configuration rather than with emulation. Any ideas on what could be wrong here?

Reply 1 of 2, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
captain_koloth wrote on 2020-10-07, 11:27:

Any ideas on what could be wrong here?

Well, it's just a wild guess.
DOS retrieves a HDD's grive geometry via BIOS, whereas Win9x uses its own Protected-Mode driver first.
So when the D: drive partition was created with a fake/phantasy drive geometry,
Win95 tries to use what it thinks is the true drive geometry.
Or it fails and detects nothing.
When it works still, it may uses D: in that "16-Bit Compatibility Mode" or how it is called.
You can check/force this in Control Panel/System maybe, not sure.
It's so long ago that I used Win95..

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 2, by captain_koloth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2020-10-07, 11:50:
Well, it's just a wild guess. DOS retrieves a HDD's grive geometry via BIOS, whereas Win9x uses its own Protected-Mode driver fi […]
Show full quote
captain_koloth wrote on 2020-10-07, 11:27:

Any ideas on what could be wrong here?

Well, it's just a wild guess.
DOS retrieves a HDD's grive geometry via BIOS, whereas Win9x uses its own Protected-Mode driver first.
So when the D: drive partition was created with a fake/phantasy drive geometry,
Win95 tries to use what it thinks is the true drive geometry.
Or it fails and detects nothing.
When it works still, it may uses D: in that "16-Bit Compatibility Mode" or how it is called.
You can check/force this in Control Panel/System maybe, not sure.
It's so long ago that I used Win95..

Where in System would that be?

I'll re-emphasize that the problem also occurs on the real hardware, though intermittently.