VOGONS

First post, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi there,
finally I have decided to write here to ty to find a solution.
Probably the problem isn't so easy solving, but I am trying. Perhaps Phil's or others can know the solution.

I just assembled a nice retro-gaming PC based on socket 370. I installed a powerful (!!!) Pentium 3 1000mhz Coppermine, with two sticks of 256MB of RAM, two IDE hard disks (one with Windows XP and the other with Windows 98SE selecting which operating system through a Multi Boot Manager by BTTR Software) a great Radeon 9800PRO 128MB and a Phil's reccomended Sound Blaster Live! SB0100.

Now, the problem: USB. I tried lot of things in my knowledge, but, neither the two rear ports nor two "front panel USB header" doesn't work properly, in both operating systems.

I use USB pen that always worked and continue to work in other systems. In Windows 98SE when I plug in the USB pen through the front panel header (USB in front of the case) system want to search the driver, "feeling" that something is just plugged in. In the two native rear ports, nothing happens. So I use mainly the front USB ports, but when I try to install the generic driver for Windows98SE this is ignored by system that say that a USB driver is just installed and newer than this one.
And nothing works obviously, in the peripheral it is shown that a USB mass is inserted but the driver isn't installed (code 10 or 24). I swar other USB pens and the results is the same.
On Windows XP thing gone worst, if I remember correctly the USB Pen isn't simply recognized when I plug in.

Now, I read a lot, but unfortunately I can barely find something about this motherboard, probably has sold only a little, cause this version was a DDR memory compatible with this Apollo Pro 266 chipset and I am worried is only sold for a little time.
But I am sure that here, in this old systems lovers forum someone will know of which motherboard I am speaking, and perhaps someone has one of these and can give me the solution.
I am driving crazy, cause I never fall in a problem like this with the USB, and I just want to know if there is a solution, so I can close my case and use the system completely ok.

Thanks for the attention, I will do all the proofs that you will ask to me.

Loris

Attachments

Computer lover since 1992.
Love retro-computing, retro-gaming, high-end systems and all about computer-tech.
Love beer, too.

Reply 1 of 10, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In case you didn't find the motherboard manual or drivers, they are at https://www.asus.com/supportonly/CUV266/HelpDesk_Download/

Other than that, I have no ideas

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 2 of 10, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

First of all, you need to check if USB can properly work at all. Plug in simple USB mouse. If it won't work, then it could indicate that USB is dead on south bridge level.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 3 of 10, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-10-08, 10:51:

First of all, you need to check if USB can properly work at all. Plug in simple USB mouse. If it won't work, then it could indicate that USB is dead on south bridge level.

Thanks for the answer.
I will do that and I will answer.

It could be dead on the VIA soutbridge at all? The southbridge is the VIA VT8233.

I never seen something like that but this could be an explanation.

Another thing that I didn't specified, I flashed the last bios from ASUS site, the beta 1002.003 beta.

Thanks for the moment.

Ps: I printed the manual and driver I have already installed.

Love retro-computing, retro-gaming, high-end systems and all about computer-tech.
Love beer, too.

Reply 4 of 10, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

USB killed by short circuit or static discharge was quite a common thing. For example, Intel ICH5 motherboards had infamous reputation due to poor USB protection.

Reply 5 of 10, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-10-08, 16:22:

USB killed by short circuit or static discharge was quite a common thing. For example, Intel ICH5 motherboards had infamous reputation due to poor USB protection.

I have had the USB ports die on my ICH9 (AFAICR) equipped Asus PK5 board, I seem to recall reading that this was not uncommon at the time (possibly specific to some P5K variants).

Reply 6 of 10, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-10-08, 16:22:

So for a short circuit in one USB port, it can happens that all the USB service can broke, even if there are different USB port and the two USB front header?

What can I have to have USB then in that old system? USB is too important to transfer files in old system, I transfer at the moment via Lan from other computers...

Love beer, too.

Reply 7 of 10, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

By PCI card. You would want one anyway, because VIA VT8233 has only USB 1.1, which is painfully slow.

even if there are different USB port and the two USB front header?

They all routed to south bridge. This board don't have external USB controllers. Anyway, you need to make sure that it's not some quirky software problem with USB storage devices.

Reply 8 of 10, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-10-08, 20:30:

By PCI card. You would want one anyway, because VIA VT8233 has only USB 1.1, which is painfully slow.

even if there are different USB port and the two USB front header?

They all routed to south bridge. This board don't have external USB controllers. Anyway, you need to make sure that it's not some quirky software problem with USB storage devices.

So this morning I tried to connect an USB keyboard, and nothing works. The system hang for about 10 seconds, where the mouse cursor work but I can't click nowhere, after that 10 seconds system return working normally but keyboard doesn't work.

I have to assume that I have all USB failed from southbridge then.

I will search a PCI-USB card, I have one of USB 3.0 can this work in an old system like this? I don't think so...

Love beer, too.

Reply 9 of 10, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have one of USB 3.0 can this work in an old system like this? I don't think so...

It will most likely work under Windows XP.

Reply 10 of 10, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-10-10, 03:24:

I have one of USB 3.0 can this work in an old system like this? I don't think so...

It will most likely work under Windows XP.

Ok, thanks a lot for the kind answers, at the end I choose to buy a PCI card with USB 2.0, the Manhattan HI-Speed USB 2.0 PCI Card, with two rear USB ports and the internal connectors so I can plug the case USB too (most important for me).

I put on attachment the photo of the product.

When I booted Windows 98 SE it find new hardware, to make it works I have to install generic USB 2.0 driver when I plug the USB pen. All work.

In Windows XP no need for drivers, all work.

thanks a lot for all, probably my USB on the southbridge are all broken.

Attachments

Love beer, too.