VOGONS

First post, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In my collection I have a nice 486, based on the Aquarius MB-4DUV motherboard. Three times VLB, UMC chipset and support for 4x fp/Edo ram. It has no I/o onboard.
The main purpose of the system is to fool around with DOS6.22 and Windows 3.1x.

Recently I took the system apart and had some major upgrades.
iDX2-66 went to Cyrix 5x86@100 (bios reports 487SX 66MHz, but works totally fine)
8MB ram went to 32MB
170MB Conner went to 420MB WD
Trident 9400 vl to cirrus 5424 vl
Went far and back through jumper central.
Performance went skyrocket.

The Generic but ok performing VLB I/o controller does what is supposed to do.
2x IDE, fdd, game, parallel, 2x serial.

Then I got a Promise DC4030VL controller in, added 4MB cache ram (30p 80ns) and it flies!
The downside: I lost parallel and serial connections (and game, but I'll put in a sound card with one). For parallel port I have a spare ISA one, but for serial I don't. So bye bye mouse for now...

I could:
- switch back to the generic I/o controller
- get some serial adapter
- build one, along with an extra rom socket (the Sergey fdd/serial/rom card without fdd parts)

Or would the generic I/o do?
Jumper settings are on the silk screen.
By jumper I can choose IRQ and I/o addresses for the IDE part. If I choose not to jumper them, would this leave the IDE out? Or would it still conflict with the promise controller?

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 2 of 6, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I like using IDE to SATA adapters along with an SSD. The IDE to CF card route is also another option.

Either of those will give you the max performance without a caching controller.

If you want to keep everything retro, keep the caching controller.

As for using the generic I/O along side the caching controller, you should be able to find the jumper settings online to disable the idea controller.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 6, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I really want to keep the 420 drive as boot drive, but as primary slave I've got a CF adapter installed. Mainly for data transfer. As long as hard drives<500MB stroll are available for reasonable prices I want to keep running them. After that, the CF/SSD will become boot drives.

The cache controller indeed would be my first choose to keep.

I will look intro the controller to see what settings are available to disable IDE and FDD.

Edit: also found this in my spare parts box: a single IDE port VLB I/o controller.
It looks like toggling jp8 and jo9 should do the trick.
Not sure what jp5 does... Is this the HDD controller?

Any way, I'll just test this one and see what happens 😀

Attachments

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 4 of 6, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To cache controller it is.

With the regular VLB I/o controller all things seem to work fine.
I disabled hdc, FDD and HDD by setting jumpers jp5, jp8, jp9 to position 2-3 and almost all seemed to work:
- mouse in Windows and Xtree Gold works fine.
- no errors on boot post screen
- no conflict in checkit
- CDROM is suddenly NOT detected any more.

This CDROM issue seems to be a conflict between the Promise controller and the videcdd driver, as it worked fine before.

Maybe I could see if I can enable the hdc on the I/o card and add the CDROM to its IDE connector, without enabling the IDE jumper. Hopefully this jumper jp9 is just ment to assign IRQ and stuff, so the IDE will act like a non-adressed one.
Otherwise I'll have to look into my collection of sound cards to see if I have one with IDE onboard and swap it

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 5 of 6, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Remember that cache controller only makes sense if you're using a period correct harddrive. If you have a newer drive, or CF card the CPU on the controller will bottleneck the transfer rates, at that point you're better off with a standard VLB controller.

Still, cache controllers are cool, so if you intend to keep using the 420MB go for it 😀

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 6 of 6, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote on 2020-10-12, 10:52:

(...)
Still, cache controllers are cool, so if you intend to keep using the 420MB go for it 😀

Definately :p

There is a CF adapter installed as primary slave, but that's only intended for file transfer 😀

Stuck at 10MHz...