VOGONS

First post, by Soulreaper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey I have been playing Tomb Raider 2 on my Windows 98 SE build it runs great but. When ever the game requests an audio track from the cd to play the game freezes for a micro second while the data is loading. It is very minor but it annoys me. I done the obvious things I think any good troubling shooting hints for me. I am running the dvd rom as the master on ide channel 1 no other devices are connected. I have swapped cables swapped ide connections onboard. Is there a setting in windows reg to tweak?

98se/Biostar M7VIG Pro/AMD Athlon XP 2400+ @ 2.0 GHz/512 MB @ 166/ATI Radeon 9800 Pro/3DFX Voodoo 3 2000/CreativeSBLive!
XP Pro/Asus P5N-D/Intel Qx9650 Quad Core@4.0GHz/4GB DDR2 800/nVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX+ SLI/Creative Audigy 2 ZS
sc-55 mkii

Reply 1 of 3, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi! is the issue specific to TR2? or do any other games do the same? for instance, I have that exact issue on my PC when playing Quake 2, but no other games seem to have it (or maybe I have not noticed it).

Reply 2 of 3, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe create an image of the CD, copy it to an SSD or RAM drive, then mount that image. That should get rid of the stutter due to the slow access time of the CD drive.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 3, by Soulreaper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I have reformatted a bunch of times and used different combination of drivers. I played without sound drivers installed. I tried multiple drives no difference. I played quake 2 and didn't seem to have any issues with that game. I think its just tomb raider 2 on my 98 machine. I put it in my xp machine no issues with the cdrom loading. Do I just need to lower my expectations is this just what to expect on an ata 33 dvd rom drive.

98se/Biostar M7VIG Pro/AMD Athlon XP 2400+ @ 2.0 GHz/512 MB @ 166/ATI Radeon 9800 Pro/3DFX Voodoo 3 2000/CreativeSBLive!
XP Pro/Asus P5N-D/Intel Qx9650 Quad Core@4.0GHz/4GB DDR2 800/nVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX+ SLI/Creative Audigy 2 ZS
sc-55 mkii